VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I downloaded and tested this measurement plugin:

http://dynamicrange.de/es/es/download#menu1

And was a bit surprised.

I compared a webradio broadbast (WDR2-Germany) of the song Shakira-Empire with the Amazon-download of the same song.

result:

Webstream: DR 10
Amazon Download: DR 5

So the download has a lower dynamic range than the webstream. I didn't expect this.

Normaly radio FM broadcasts are compressed a lot, is this not the case with webstreams?

Chris
Last edited by Chris-S on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here a graphical comparison:

looks like the download from the store was send through a limiter I guess.

There are often multiple releases of the same music, some of which have been disastrously over limited, and some of which haven't. Finding the "good" ones is all part of the fun.

As mentioned:
Chances are that the Webstream had access to a less densely compressed version (so called "radio edits") or is using a declipper matrix (possible to a certain extend).

Either way, this clearly shows why the loudness war needs to end.

BTW:
The DR-Meter is an outdated system to measure loudness. But that's just me.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I agree, it doesn't measure loadness.
It measures the difference between RMS level and peak level. Whatever this means.

The DR number is some indication how "compressed" a track is.

My KVRmarks might help.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hermetech Mastering wrote:There are often multiple releases of the same music, some of which have been disastrously over limited, and some of which haven't. Finding the "good" ones is all part of the fun.
you have a very peculiar understanding of "fun" :wink:

Return to “Effects”