Codex a failed VST in Acid Pro 7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Help. Installation of Codex, by Waves, is pretty much automatic. After installation, I open up my Acid Pro 7e, which is claimed to be supportive, and Codex is filed under the failed folder in the plugin manager.

I want to play with this synth pretty badly. Anyone with any suggestions? Thank you. :cry:

SURGEn wrote:Help. Installation of Codex, by Waves, is pretty much automatic. After installation, I open up my Acid Pro 7e, which is claimed to be supportive, and Codex is filed under the failed folder in the plugin manager.

I want to play with this synth pretty badly. Anyone with any suggestions? Thank you. :cry:
Did you install the Waves License Center and installed the demo license from the waves cloud to you PC (e.g. at a normal USB flash drive)?

Only installing Codex from the installer will not get the plugin running.

For me it is running properly e.g. as a VST2 plugin in Live 9 and Reaper 4.7, as VST3 in Studio One and as a AAX plugin in Pro Tools 11.

Anyway when having installed bot hVSt2 and VST3 hosts that could use both (e.g. Cubase and Studio One) seem to allow only using the VST3 undtil you delete/deinstall the VST3 plugin.
Also found that in Reaper it seems to be listed as an effect/FX plugin and not as an Instrument. Is it possible the same happened for you? I never used Acid Pro so i have no clue how it works there.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I can't stand loading VSTs in Vegas Pro 7! I never had any real luck with that. Music Studio 9/10 acted a little better but I avoided them altogether. I know it doesn't help your situation but I'm just having flashbacks....

You can try to re-install. Sometime if you install with Antivirus on, it damages the .dll file.

Did you set the path to the right folder? Did it actually shows as failed? I do not have Acid Pro.

Are you installing the right version (32 or 64 bit0?

If the problem persists, you can try to install http://dependencywalker.com/ and see if you missing some Windows elements that prevent program to run.

Blah. My bad. Waves webpage states that generally their instruments and plugins are Acid Pro compliant. However, when you go to the Codex page it only has a few DAWs that will run it. None that I own. I run Acid Pro 7, FL Studio 11 and Maschine. I really hope Waves updates Codex to use in other DAWs. I got it at a decent price, but can't do nothing with it yet.

Some DAWs show the Waves shell instead of the plugin name . FL Studio does this. If you launch the shell it displays a list of installed Waves plugins to chose from.

I use Acid Pro 7, Orion 8.5, Studio One 2 , FL Studio, and Traction 5. My Waves plugins ( One Knob series and Tony Maserati suite) don't work in Orion and Acid only runs the One Knob plugins. Have you tried Codex in FL Studio?

SURGEn wrote:Blah. My bad. Waves webpage states that generally their instruments and plugins are Acid Pro compliant. However, when you go to the Codex page it only has a few DAWs that will run it. None that I own. I run Acid Pro 7, FL Studio 11 and Maschine. I really hope Waves updates Codex to use in other DAWs. I got it at a decent price, but can't do nothing with it yet.
The plugin doesn't work on three of the major DAW/VST host!?!? :dog:

SampleScience wrote:
SURGEn wrote:Blah. My bad. Waves webpage states that generally their instruments and plugins are Acid Pro compliant. However, when you go to the Codex page it only has a few DAWs that will run it. None that I own. I run Acid Pro 7, FL Studio 11 and Maschine. I really hope Waves updates Codex to use in other DAWs. I got it at a decent price, but can't do nothing with it yet.
The plugin doesn't work on three of the major DAW/VST host!?!? :dog:
For me (at Windows 7 64-bit) so far it works with Ableton Live 9.1.5, Studio One 2.6.3, Reaper 4.7, Pro Tools 11.2.1 and the trial version of Cubase 7.5.30.
Also seems to work with the demo version of Bitwig Studio (just checked this).
From this list Reaper and Bitwig are not mentioned in the list of supported hosts. This list does not mean it could not work in other hosts than mentioned in the list.

@SURGEn (the OP): Is the standalone version working (called "CODEX App")? If not it is not a host related problem but somehow related to the license.

As already mentioned in the VSTPLUGINS folder you will only see the WavesShell DLL plugin (for all Waves plugins) while in the host the single plugins like e.g. Codex should be listed (maybe in a WavesShell sub-folder). The aactual single plugin DLL files seem to be stored in sub-folders at a diffent location in the Program Files folder.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Some time ago I decided to never install any Waves plugin anymore due to issues with their protection system. Seems to be a right decision so far.

Sorry for not being helpful.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Holy freaking crap. I'm trying to install Codex right now. What a m-effing joke this waves installation is. I mean seriously, I can count on one hand the number of problematic, ass-backwards installers I've had to deal with, and this is in the top 3 right here. So you download an installer that when you run it has to download another installer... Then that installer kicks off and you get an Installshield warning dialog "Can't verify the origin or integrity of this application blah blah blah". Like, really? I haven't seen that since my XP days freaking 8 years ago or whatever. So you cross your fingers and tell Installshield to proceed anyway... and it starts downloading more stuff. OK, just give ma a G.D. installer for the v9 waves shell, please. Enough with the G.D. online installers. So I eventually get the base thing installed, run the license manager and it says "your Ethernet is disabled". No sh*t, because I disabled it. But my wifi dongle is plugged in, why don't you get the freaking mac address off of that? No can do. 2005 called, it said "please enable your useless wireline Ethernet adapter". No, license is going to USB -- OK, this was actually the only part of this whole thing that was remotely smooth... I actually put the codex demo license on the USB drive. Start Reaper... "Select Wave 9.3 Plug-Ins Folder".

WTF??????

What does that even mean? I installed the main thing to typicaly programs, and pointed the installer at VST folders.

WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED???????

Have to consult Google to figure out what the hell is going on...

Apparently I need to tell the Waves Shell where the main Waves installation folder is so it can find the installed plug-ins?

(Note to self: when installed software asks you where it's installed, run, do not walk, away from said software.)

Is this for real? Seriously, I've been doing "computer stuff" for about 33-34 years, and I've been a professional software developer for 24 of those years. I've installed my share of complicated software. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this. Maybe 2 or 3 products, but really these things tend to stick in your mind.

Needless to say, despite my pointing Waves at itself, neither Codex nor WavesShell show up anywhere in Reaper's plugin dialogs (either 32 or 64 bits).

I'm giving it one more shot. I uninstalled Waves, left the license on the USB, and just now reinstalled the whole shebang. If this doesn't "just work" then I'll just have to chalk it up learning the hard way, despite all the warnings...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

OK, so I reinstalled, but Waves no longer shows under Programs menu... :lol: BUT the good news... I actually got it to show in Reaper. I had to clear the whole VST cache and rescan every damn plugin. Anyway... After all that, I'm not blown away. :shrug:
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm trying to use Codex in FL Studio 11, and so far, I can only get it to appear as an effect... If I try to load it as an instrument, I can't get any of the 'WaveShell-VST 9.3'
'WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64' 'WaveShell-WPAPI_1 9.3' or 'WavesLib_9.3_Win32' 'WavesLib_9.3_Win64' to load. I don't even know which one I'm supposed to load, because the manual doesn't tell me anything about Installation at all.

I got 'WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64' to run as an effect, which then opens an FL Studio plugin dialogue box, which says 'You have opened a plugin that contains other plugins. Please select a specific plugin from the list', and in the 'Click to select a plugin' dropdown menu, I can select Codex (it's the only choice), and it opens, but it's running as an effect, so I can't do anything with it! This is crazy...

I've run the Waves License Center and moved the license to my PC icon, that all seemed to go okay, and the standalone version works fine.

FIXED: Here's how I did it. I downloaded shell2vst from: http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip, as explained here: http://support.image-line.com/knowledge ... hp?ans=179

I then unzipped it into a folder, and dragged WaveShell-VST 9.3_x64.dll from my D:\VST\Waves\Waveshells folder onto the shell2vst64.exe file, it then created a new file called 'Codex stereo.dll' and put that into the D:\VST\Waves\Waveshells\Waves folder, and it finally worked! I just refreshed my VST list in FL Studio, and saw a new VST, 'Codex stereo', which loaded as an instrument, at last!

As somebody above said, this is just ridiculous, I have never had this sort of problem with any other VST. Codex is really impressive, but what a pain to actually get it working.

Return to “Instruments”