Funk for the 45-70 yr. old crowd

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For you fellow old timers. Maybe this will get your foot tappin'.

https://soundcloud.com/bubbamusic/faster

That's one hell of a sound collage! Everything from cheesy rap to D'Train synths, Big Daddy Kane rap and those dreadful "James Brown Is dead" hits :lol:
This is very weird. Some of the stuff (vocals in partular) are out of sync but I reckon that's on purpose :o

Thank you, Mr. K Bee. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :D

This one made me think of Scritti Politti's "Small Talk" from '85. I can hear lots of common elements, from the synths to the tight rhythmic groove, but SP were a British pop band, trying to give themselves that New York R&B sound. Your track seems to have a much more natural, "American" sound (if that's the right adjective). Great fun(k).

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote: Great fun(k).
ha, I like that. Like this tune, too. Good work, Bubba!

Very inventive. I really enjoyed it. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Thanks fellas. Scritti Politti, I had forgotten that one. I should look for a medley of their hit (1). You are showing your ages. :)

refreshing to hear some good old school funk on here! my foot was tapping so violently i accidently kicked my cat!
only little thing i would adjust is the mix brightness. had too much high end sizzle for my taste. this may also be adjusted
by boosting the low and mids in the mix. your choice...its like a see-saw with the low-mid-hi balance anyway!
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks Layzer. Funny that you mentioned the EQ. I've been using a very, very old pair of JBL passive monitors for years. I use an old Earth, Wind & Fire CD for reference. I've been judiciously looking at new active near field monitors for the last few months. I am starting to zoom in on JBL LSR308's. Looks like best bang for the buck. Genelec, Focus, etc. are a little too classy for my operation. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you again for listening. :D

getting a good reference to calibrate your system is indeed important. much
of my music is 80's influenced so i tend to use the yello - stella album for refrence on my tracks
i always thought that LP sounded so good on anything i played it on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwDuhMfg3cA
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thank you once more Layzer. I had forgotten about that group - they were great. Even the YouTube rendition sounds great. I had also forgotten that Soundcloud puts the tried and true "FM" curve on every mp3 that is uploaded. If I get a chance, I think that I will run my mp3 through an analysis plugin and compare it the Soundcloud version. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Music Cafe”