BIAS Desktop?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any thoughts on this from people who have tried it thus far? It certainly looks beautiful, but how does it sound (I will be trying the demo this weekend). I am thinking of getting the "basic" package and hoping to upgrade to the "professional" version somewhere down the line, but was wondering how everyone thought this compared to Revalver (for example), and S-Gear.

i only tried an older demo. the GUI was horrible to use, it's clearly optimized for iPad. if you have a touch screen, that'll work nicely, but not with a keyboard and a mouse.

regarding the sound... dunno, maybe the GUI put me off but i didn't hear anything i haven't heard in S-Gear or Revalver 4 or Amplitube 3 or Thermionik. but you better make up your own mind, because many people hate Amplitube while i think it's great.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

"With over 500,000 lines of new code and 2 years development."

Not sure if that's marketing text or the opening lines of a software development horror story :)

asksol wrote:"With over 500,000 lines of new code and 2 years development."

Not sure if that's marketing text or the opening lines of a software development horror story :)
Also not sure whether the pure quantity of code lines (most of which probably deal with the UI and that cloud stuff anyway) is a sign of quality. Could also be read as "We spent 2 years on writing this kludge of unmanagable code. Now we spend the next two years on refactoring, but please pay us for that." :D

It seems to be identical to the iPad version. So why does it cost 5 times more ($19.99 vs $99)?

I like BIAS for desktop.
The GUI (to me) isn't hard to use at all (different strokes for different folks :))

In particular, I like the ability to tweak the number/types of tubes used in the model.
Just like with a real tube amp, this allows you to tailor the response.
And just like using real 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7 tubes, you can control the density, character/quality, and the touch-response of the model. This goes a long way toward making the sim *feel* more like a real amp.

To my ears the amp matching (sampling/profiling) feature doesn't produce accurate results.
Nothing like a Kemper...
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

firepile wrote:It seems to be identical to the iPad version. So why does it cost 5 times more ($19.99 vs $99)?
Hell I only paid $4.99 for it. Would I pay $99 for the windows version? Absolutely not.

I think it sounds amazing! 8)

Return to “Effects”