If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

If Roland made a D50 vst emulation, would you purchase it?

Yes, as long as it was reasonably priced.
45%
Maybe, I would consider purchasing it.
18%
No, I don't have any interest in such a product.
27%
Fish
11%

Total votes: 366

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't see roland doing any plug ins really unless it is hardware based such as the aria synth

To be honest I would buy a hardware synth along the lines of an aria if they release a jd800 or jp8000
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

If you got this plugin, would you be surprised to find out that its sounds are pretty much dated and nowhere near as useful as you had hoped it would be? IMO, first company to model cheap op-amp circuitry in the outputs will nail its sound.

BBFG# wrote:If you got this plugin, would you be surprised to find out that its sounds are pretty much dated and nowhere near as useful as you had hoped it would be? IMO, first company to model cheap op-amp circuitry in the outputs will nail its sound.
Considering I recently got Virtual CZ and also the free DeXed (emulation of the DX7), and didn't find any of them "dated" and actually "very useful", and I also still have some good hardware synths that I don't find "dated", unlikely.

What was good once will stay good forever, as long as you know how to use it.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
BBFG# wrote:If you got this plugin, would you be surprised to find out that its sounds are pretty much dated and nowhere near as useful as you had hoped it would be? IMO, first company to model cheap op-amp circuitry in the outputs will nail its sound.
Considering I recently got Virtual CZ and also the free DeXed (emulation of the DX7), and didn't find any of them "dated" and actually "very useful", and I also still have some good hardware synths that I don't find "dated", unlikely.

What was good once will stay good forever, as long as you know how to use it.
I liked the CZ quite a bit back in the day (in some ways more than the D50). But considering their 'signature sounds' are covered in almost every VI I have now (and done even better IMO, without the negatives from the original and far more options), there is a certain amount of 'dating' that comes from trying to recapture the past of simpler times...
Doesn't 'retro' then become just a updated term for Luddite? :wink:

Somehow, nostalgia and academia it such a strict sense seem to be a contradiction to me here.

I love the D50. I recently had a V-Synth with the D50 card and sampled a TON of material from it before I sold it......much more from the D50 card than the actual V-Synth itself actually. I would buy a d50 emulation by Roland.....even though I think they are thugs for not letting anyone else do it all these years.

quantum7 wrote:I love the D50. I recently had a V-Synth with the D50 card and sampled a TON of material from it before I sold it......much more from the D50 card than the actual V-Synth itself actually. I would buy a d50 emulation by Roland.....even though I think they are thugs for not letting anyone else do it all these years.
I love my V-Synth GT.
No D50 card and really not wanting one.
The VSGT does what I want for Roland sounds and it's all about the APS for me.
Zebra2-HZ does the straight synth sounds I was getting out of the VSGT now.
If Zebra 3 adds an in-depth modeler,
I could see selling the VSGT and never having or needing another Roland product.

V0RT3X wrote:Well i just looked up a demo of this thing and holy crap it aliases like a bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1C8nzj2IRM

Sure it has some interesting sounds, but i wouldn't use a VSTi/AU version in my productions so it's a no from me.
OMG! Pretty much the whole of Revolutions (by Jarre) in that demo. Brings back memories of standing in the London Docklands for the Destination Docklands concert.

Gotta love Jarre's humour and light touch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM6BRh7UQXo
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Brings back memories of standing in the London Docklands for the Destination Docklands concert.

Concert or a mime act ? Can you actually see all of that electronic kit working in heavy rain and strong winds, protected only by plastic covers ? Even in the studio environ, some of the gear on that stage would require a constant warm temperature. Even the vocals stay constant, during a wind / rain storm :hihi:
Jeez :roll:

I voted no by the way for a D50 emu. Had one in the 80's. Not really significant now. I would gladly go for a DX7 emu, but Dexed has answered that prayer. :tu:

This wouldn't be that different from something like the wavestation. Does it sound 80s/90s? Yes. Is it still usable? Yes.

I didn't vote. Didn't see the choice of "Can't afford it, donations excepted" :hihi:

Or is that the Fish option?

These polls always seem to miss someone's need don't they?

I'm mainly in to get the results at conclusion. ;)

Interesting conversation here.

Good luck arkmabat :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

arkmabat wrote:This wouldn't be that different from something like the wavestation. Does it sound 80s/90s? Yes. Is it still usable? Yes.
Wavestation - Yes. That form of synthesis was dropped too quickly, so much to offer and very useable now.
D50 - No. PCM samples and a new form of synthesis called LA ? Korg had a better idea with the M1, if only they had cosen to add resonant filters :?

Maomoondog wrote:Can you actually see all of that electronic kit working in heavy rain and strong winds, protected only by plastic covers ?
It didn't rain and there was no wind on the day I was there. Yep. I see that kit working just perfectly. Sorry you got drenched on the Sunday gig. :D

dsan@mail.com wrote:I didn't vote. Didn't see the choice of "Can't afford it, donations excepted"
Crazy prices, your not missing nothing. If I still had mine you could have it for free. :)

himalaya wrote:
Maomoondog wrote:Can you actually see all of that electronic kit working in heavy rain and strong winds, protected only by plastic covers ?
It didn't rain and there was no wind on the day I was there. Yep. I see that kit working just perfectly. Sorry you got drenched on the Sunday gig. :D
Didn't go to it, We had an album to record, it was raining on that video, or was that "synthetic rain" :hihi:

The music was most likely taken from the Saturday gig

It didn't rain during the Saturday concert. You should have been there.

Return to “Instruments”