Wise to Jump ship from S1/Cubase to Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

switched from cubase 6.5 to Bitwig. Was using Cubase since v.4.
All i miss is custom key commands (will come), proper stereo dual pan (not sure if this comes) and group tracks (will come), track delay.

What i prefer over cubase:

1. Hybrid Tracks (create an instrument track--> right clik, bounce in place, Audio file is placed on the instrument track. Big time saver here and pure fun to use.
2. Plugin Sandboxing
3. Controler Api
4. Midi learn in general
5. Clip launcher
6. proper windowing

And it makes more fun to me actualy. Don`t miss cubase.

Actually, there's a couple of things I miss in Cubase; routing, internal fx (I found their mixing/mastering fx to be pretty good), chord id, etc. But TBH I much prefer the work flow of BWS and Live with the arranger/session paradigm.

I think what most pushed me away from Cubase was the apparent greed with the dot update costs and they really didn't fix anything.

Aside with some ethical issues I think I could get along with Cubase if I had to.

At the end of the day each DAW has its advantages and its disadvantages. It's all in what you get used to and how you want to work.

Now, if we could take the best of each DAW and build our own I think we'd really have something.

OTOH I think someone would complain about it :hihi:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I've never used cubase but as a S1 user I must say that I LOVE BITWIG however I move at a snails pace because of the lack of keyboard shortcuts currently in bitwig not to mention not even being able to make our own shortcuts. I have no complaints about the wig, it will just be maybe impossible to jump ship from s1 as I keep feeling I am shooting myself in the foot, even though I love it. Its weird. So yeah thats my weird advice that kinda goes both ways.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

S1 does have fantastic key control. Live, eh (but you can change things up)

If bitwig doesn't have that, I'm afraid I'd still not be happy. Yeah yeah, I know, I say it all the time....not every host has everything but I'm looking to IMPROVE workflow, not create a bunch workarounds for learning a new workflow ;)

"ctrl-enter" or menu/help/commander - all available shortcuts, searchable.
And sure, user definable key commands are amongst the most prominent points in the current wish list for future versions!

Suloo wrote: 1. Hybrid Tracks (create an instrument track--> right clik, bounce in place, Audio file is placed on the instrument track. Big time saver here and pure fun to use.
This is just as easy and possible in Studio One.

You can even render all outs of a multi-out instrument with one click, and you get an audio file for each output.

Novalis wrote:
Suloo wrote: 1. Hybrid Tracks (create an instrument track--> right clik, bounce in place, Audio file is placed on the instrument track. Big time saver here and pure fun to use.
This is just as easy and possible in Studio One.

You can even render all outs of a multi-out instrument with one click, and you get an audio file for each output.
Yeah, but it's not all that, because it still does'nt render the Parallel FX or FX on a Main Drum Buss for example (assuming you are routing to a channel out).

For that you got to basically mute everything and then export one at a time (assuming you want to route them to the one channel output, and keep the original FX you had on the Drum out channel.

But what is cool about S1 is the fact you can render, and still preserve the original instrument midi and all.

Some of the new features in Bitwig are class... And 1.1 will be a killer release.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:
Yeah, but it's not all that, because it still does'nt render the Parallel FX or FX on a Main Drum Buss for example (assuming you are routing to a channel out).
Typically I don't want to render my effects.
I just render virtual instruments, to free up CPU, and avoid any potential issues.
But the effects all stay "live" until the final mixdown.
For that you got to basically mute everything and then export one at a time (assuming you want to route them to the one channel output, and keep the original FX you had on the Drum out channel.
Nope, you can use the "Export stems" function, and export the channels, and import them back into the song.
Also takes only a few mouse-clicks.

Novalis wrote:
Robmobius wrote:
Typically I don't want to render my effects.
I just render virtual instruments, to free up CPU, and avoid any potential issues.
But the effects all stay "live" until the final mixdown.
Nope, you can use the "Export stems" function, and export the channels, and import them back into the song.
Also takes only a few mouse-clicks.
Yeah, you can do it by exporting stems too.

My problem though, is with the render option. Because you are given the option to render your FX but they still don't render. Which is a pain for the way I work.

So, you have those functions in S1. But is terms of work flow and routing Bitwig is a lot faster (for me anyway).

Also, like Ableton it's about as stable as Norman Bates. That said, the auto-back up is very cool (unlike most other DAWs). I loose very little form a crash.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

It does render fx, the fx on the channels being transformed, not fx on bus channels. All bus routing is copied over to the transformed track anyway so there's no need to render the bus fx.

Anyway, Bitwig is pretty cool, if you like it more, use it.

LawrenceF wrote:It does render fx, the fx on the channels being transformed, not fx on bus channels. All bus routing is copied over to the transformed track anyway so there's no need to render the bus fx.

Anyway, Bitwig is pretty cool, if you like it more, use it.
Yes, sorry... You are correct. I'm just irked that is does'nt render grouped bus channels.

Don't get me wrong. S1 is my favorite DAW at the moment, despite my gripes. :) And I can't see myself moving away from it as I said earlier.

But I really like Bitwig too, so I'll be using both I reckon. :) I won't be selling either of them!

dom@bitwig wrote:"ctrl-enter" or menu/help/commander - all available shortcuts, searchable.
And sure, user definable key commands are amongst the most prominent points in the current wish list for future versions!
While this is amazing most of the keyboard shortcuts I would wish for are not in the commander.

For instance:
- show/hide plugins (similiar to ableton, However id prefer a more S1 approach where we dont have to open it first manually.)
- set to default value
-a shortcut to highlight the web browser not the current B+S workflow.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1

qtheerearranger wrote:
-a shortcut to highlight the web browser not the current B+S workflow.
What's a web browser got to do with a DAW?

I meant search browser. (sorry I made a mistake but was that really that hard to put 1+1 together)
• Logic Pro 10.8.1

qtheerearranger wrote:I meant search browser. (sorry I made a mistake but was that really that hard to put 1+1 together)
I read lots of weird stuff on these forums, so I don't assume anything. :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”