Midi controller under 250$

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rod_zero wrote:
justin3am wrote:
tehlord wrote:
Are those Impacts re-branded Oxygens because they look very similar?
No they are not. The v4 Oxygens w/ pads were first shown at Winter NAMM 2014, when the Impact LX49/61 were already on the market.

We design all of our products in-house. :)

Hi justin

Just a suggestion for the company:

I think the market seriously lack a dedicated Synth midi controller, with at least 8 knobs for each synth sections: osc, filters, amps and modulation (32 encoders would be ideal).

I dont why every manufacturer sticks to 8 knobs/encoders plus 8 sliders, it's not enough.

Thanks!
Do you have any idea what the cost of each knob is if you don't want plastic?
We are taking Alps for all the knobs and they are not cheap.

How do you recon the companys are going to make any money if you want 32 knobs under $250?

Certainly I don't think it would cost 250, I don't know where did you get that from.

I was just suggesting what I think would be an usefull midi controller. I don't how much it will cost, but i would pay 350-450 for something like it.
dedication to flying

Uncle E wrote:Pulling the curtain back a little further, I can tell you that you don't want to go neck-and-neck with those guys because they're on a mission to beat everyone in the race to the bottom. The funny thing is they're all the same company (Numark) and now the only ones they're racing to the bottom are themselves. ;)

Anyway, just know that whatever you do, we're going to support you! I remind Greg all the time that you, Justin, are personally responsible for all the support we give to Nektar.
Hey, thanks Eric! I really appreciate that.

I know what you mean. Most of us are ex-M-Audio/Digi/AVID (from before the InMusic acquisition) and the rest are ex-Alesis/Numark. No hard feelings for my former employer but I'm glad I got out when I did. That is a story for another day... :wink:

rod_zero wrote:Certainly I don't think it would cost 250, I don't know where did you get that from.

I was just suggesting what I think would be an usefull midi controller. I don't how much it will cost, but i would pay 350-450 for something like it.
Don't get me wrong.
It is very doable but also very expensive.

That's why the big ones don't do it.
High cost and an uncertain market.

It's just a surface scanner.
Not hi-tech.

janostman wrote:We are taking Alps for all the knobs and they are not cheap.
Why does it needs Alps? There are a lot of cheap encoders of comparable quality now.

Uncle E wrote:
janostman wrote:We are taking Alps for all the knobs and they are not cheap.
Why does it needs Alps? There are a lot of cheap encoders of comparable quality now.
And that would be?
What do you think is inside those smooth turning knobs?

You can't have both cheap and quality.

Spending the $250 on something used could get you something awesome. :)

Only advice would be to use craigslist over eBay, which seems the safer of the two alternatives. 8)

janostman wrote:And that would be?
What do you think is inside those smooth turning knobs?

You can't have both cheap and quality.
From a hardware standpoint, the Behringer BCF2000 and BCR2000 are actually quite good. If Nektar used those components but with their programming (and better sense of aesthetics ;)), I think it'd be a fine compromise of price and quality. Also, as long as they brand it as an LX product, no one would expect a full blown Panorama.

justin3am wrote:
tehlord wrote:
Are those Impacts re-branded Oxygens because they look very similar?
No they are not. The v4 Oxygens w/ pads were first shown at Winter NAMM 2014, when the Impact LX49/61 were already on the market.

We design all of our products in-house. :)
That's good, but you can see why I asked! :hihi:

I am looking for controllers that have aftertouch and I think novation has one and arturia as well. The software that comes with the arturia is probably more usable. Also that 61 minkey controller that korg has software I would be willing to pay that for the cost of the software alone that it comes free with the hardware is a major bonus

Well I just bought a couple of midi controllers.

I bought an MPK Mini Mk2 for the macbook and it's VERY good. It's plasticky, but not flimsy. Synth action is what you'd expect ie springy and the knobs are a little small, but it's compact and fully featured. Drum pads are decent for such a small cheap controller and the mod/bend wheel is VERY useful as it's usually absent on such small controllers. It's a little bit unpredictable though for fine modualtion. It works better for pitch bend.

I've also just bought a Nektar Impact LX61, but that won't turn up until tomorrow!

tehlord wrote:Well I just bought a couple of midi controllers.

I bought an MPK Mini Mk2 for the macbook and it's VERY good. It's plasticky, but not flimsy. Synth action is what you'd expect ie springy and the knobs are a little small, but it's compact and fully featured. Drum pads are decent for such a small cheap controller and the mod/bend wheel is VERY useful as it's usually absent on such small controllers. It's a little bit unpredictable though for fine modualtion. It works better for pitch bend.

I've also just bought a Nektar Impact LX61, but that won't turn up until tomorrow!
How are you liking the Nektar Impact LX61?

don't want to bag on the nektar lx61 but i just couldn't get used to the keys

maybe it was my unit and i got a bad one but there was a lot of variation on the key pressure/velocity output between keys, to the point were it was impossible to adjust for me

the pads were good but having them on the far right made them kind of useless for my setup

the best thing was how well the controller worked with studio one but like i said the keys were a deal breaker to me and i wasn't expecting anything special at its price point

I looked around and think I will get the Alesis VI61 when it comes out.

Trent Reznor has a Roland A-800 Pro keyboard in his studio. You can get the 49 key version for under 250 i think?

:borg:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”