Best Virtual MIDI Cable?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks soundklinik. I loaded it up and it didn't make much sense to me.

I may hang up these virtual cables for awhile as they aren't working for me.

OUCH! Copperlan - free and fabulous. easiest to configure. You can do it all from one machine for networking too

http://www.copperlan.org/index.php

Stay the hell away from Jackaudio

Debutante wrote:OUCH! Copperlan - free and fabulous. easiest to configure. You can do it all from one machine for networking too
Hasn't worked for me yet, but that isn't saying much.

Nobody has mentioned loopMIDI. You need to put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder to avoid having to manually run it after each logoff.

captain caveman wrote:Nobody has mentioned loopMIDI. You need to put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder to avoid having to manually run it after each logoff.
That's one I initially inquired about in initial post. Seems like there are quite a few alternatives.

Whoops, I see that now. Does it not work for you?

captain caveman wrote:Whoops, I see that now. Does it not work for you?
Not yet.

Musical Gym wrote:Thanks soundklinik. I loaded it up and it didn't make much sense to me.

I may hang up these virtual cables for awhile as they aren't working for me.
Cythar will make sense, it took me a weekend to "get" it :oops:....still figuring out details and levels...kind of "Inception"

LoopBe1 works perfect, you do nothing, 1 port=16 midi channels, just install and run...I never had a problem except those 2 extremes. (Fractal & Cythar)

thanks, will give loopbe1 a go again.

I play guitar also so Cythar's guitar chord feature interests me.

Musical Gym wrote:Welcome Chuck. Thanks for input. Are you using LoopBE1 or LoopBE30?
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for the nice welcome :)

When I tested for MIDI throughput, I compared LoopBe1 to MIDI Yoke and LoopBe1 was quite faster (lower latency/jitter). However, since I rarely need a Virtual MIDI Cable anymore, I uninstalled the LoopBe1 driver to reduce memory usage on my old XP machine (1GB RAM), and if/when I really need a VMC, I simply use MIDI Yoke, which doesn't load any RAM when it's not used. On my newer PCs (CoreDuo, i7) I didn't need a VMC so I didn't install any.

BTW, if you play guitar and are into MIDI, have you checked JamOrigin MIDI Guitar VST software? Works with any guitar, no need to install special hex pickups, and it's polyphonic. Although it's in beta right now, it's very promising (and a lot of fun to play!)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

If you try it, be sure to download the latest beta (0.7.5 ATM)

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. I'm still on XP so I appreciate knowing your experience regarding usage.

Yes, I've been doing midi guitar for several years. I've been meaning to test Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar. I've had it for a long time and should have tested by now. Too many other distractions.

Thanks for additional input.

Jim

Great thread and great feedback re preliminary performance tests...

I landed here having googled best virtual cable (midiyoke and loopbe confused me, so I settled on loopmidi, but now I'm trying wiimote stuff and as almost all guides reference midiyoke, I'm tempted to follow it to the letter... we'll see).

Re 64, I'm on a 64 OS but think I may have 32bit reaper installed for compat with VSTs.

Do you need 64bit cabling if you're using a 64 bit DAW? Is the performance difference noticeable?!

Sorry for digressing, and thanks again.

PS Is there a consensus? re "best cable"? or are any performance gains negligible, in which case stability and ease of use should be the only factors?

On 64bit Windows, 32bit software runs under a layer of emulation that effectively hides it from 64bit software. A 64bit application only "sees" other 64bit software (e.g. plugins and device drivers) and a 32bit application only sees 32bit software.

1) Both Reaper32 and Reaper64 have VST bridging built in to allow them to access both 32bit and 64bit VSTs. (It "invisibly" communicates across a virtual network between a 32bit process space and a 64bit process space.) Hence you can access both types of plugin from both versions of Reaper.

2) However, bridging isn't in place for devices drivers - audio ports and MIDI ports are supplied by these. A device driver itself could handle providing both 32bit and 64bit "flavours" of a port but Windows does not know (and should not know) how to do this if only one of the two is available. Equally, no single "bridge" (like VST bridging) can do it - it's device-specific. Basically, "Yes", devices must be available for the flavour of application you are running. It isn't a performance issue, simply that the device will not otherwise be available.

I've just started playing with reaper. I don't like the 'extra' title bar on plugins, so was trying to see how to edit views, and found this. That led to this
Hi there. In the Add FX window, you can right click on x86 plugins and select Run as->Embed bridged UI. Does this fix the problem for you?

I do agree that an option to enable this for all bridged plugins by default would be great, as I had to go through ticking them by hand, which isn’t the most enjoyable afternoon activity.
I've read that exclusive mode is good, but if you're stuck with just the onboard realtek sound (like me), any ASIO usage will lockdown the sound device, so you can't hear youtube tutorials...

I don't know if there's a workaround (other than disabling exclusive-sound-mode).
Someone said disable 'Windows Audio' service. That left me with no audio device (it's like disabling the device).

For me the solution (I couldn't hear anything, but had no sound/video urls active) was nirsoft soundvolumeview. From here I disabled the 'system sound' applications, and then exclusive audio via onboard soundcard was available via ASIO4ALL.

http://i.imgur.com/UD098Rw.jpg

Still, the challenge - is it possible to retain sound-exclusivity, but somehow use sound-applications concurrently?

A promising software (virtualcable) solution is illustrated by 'Necrosis' - terrible videos, but interesting config illustrated...

VB-audiocable, vb-stereocable etc

The thread is a little older... but the question is still relevant ;)

I need a virtual Midi cable (Windows 10 Pro) with more than 2 virtual ports, so LoopBE30 or loopMIDI came to my mind.
loopMidi doesn't need to install a kernel driver and has an option to give the ports a name. Yes and it is free!
LoopBE30 is not free (20€) and installs a kernel driver. Is this solution more stable with the kernel driver or does it have better performance?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”