Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

By the way could somebody explain what warm and cold sounds actually are?

Warm sounds --> sound of wood cracking in a fire or the low freq sound of the shockwave of a nuclear explosion?

Cold sounds --> Inuit people having sex outside of their iglo's? Or maybe that sucking sound when you open a big freezer that has a bit of underpressure?

Also, if you have a hardware synth (I think they are all electric) and you take a good recording of the sound and then put it in Omnisphere (if you are Eric Persing) ... will is suddenly automagically sound cool now instead of warm?

Maybe warm sounds are those of producers with empty wallets and cool sounds those that still have money for donuts once in a while because they did not have to spend it all on collector item synthesisers?

I'm kinda lost, somebody help me!
Last edited by Kain on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

We're all learning about this...

Kain wrote:Or maybe that sucking sound when...
Hey!! Watch your mouth buddy!!! :lol:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Picked up Serum recently and love it. One complaint, though: Haven't yet found a way to control LFO amount/depth. For example, it'd be great to assign panning to an LFO, then have one of the Macros control the LFO depth so the user could adjust to taste. Maybe I missed something?

My impression of Serum so far: The programming, for anyone using NI Massive, is immediately familiar in many ways, yet the 'sound' of both synths is quite different. Of the 2 synths, I like Serum's sound better. IMHO, it's more full-bodied and warm, yet still has that edge many Massive fans look for. Serum's LFOs have a lot of the same functionality you get in Massive's "Performer" mode, however, it requires a bit of tedious extra work for the same result. Every synth has it's weaknesses though. Overall, I'd say Serum is on par with the big name players. And that GUI :love: .....IMHO, absolutely perfect balance between eye candy and practicality (then again, everyone has their own tastes lol).
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

Xenos wrote:Picked up Serum recently and love it. One complaint, though: Haven't yet found a way to control LFO amount/depth. For example, it'd be great to assign panning to an LFO, then have one of the Macros control the LFO depth so the user could adjust to taste. Maybe I missed something?
It's very easy:

1. Drag and drop an LFO to PAN

then go to the MATRIX

2. In the 'LFO to PAN' mod connection slot you just made, go to AUX SOURCE and select Macro 1.

Done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

What's the consensus; which synth has the warmest sine wave?

Hey look! :hyper:

[removed]
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:Hey look! :hyper:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but some of those are payware or not legally/EULAy available to the public.

If we own the synths in question its at the very least a gray area.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:If we own the synths in question its at the very least a gray area.
You're fine to do whatever with what you have, but distributing is another thing altogether...
I can rip a rom from one of my old SNES games, but to put that online for everyone is going a bit far.

highkoo wrote:Hey look! :hyper:

http://www.reddit.co...

No...don't look.
바보

arkmabat wrote:to put that online for everyone is going a bit far.
Oh, yes I agree.
I wouldnt do that.
But that guy over there did... ;)

Yeah I dunno. :shrug:
I guess Im fuzzy on the rules with ss wavs?
I own the software in qusetion, not the hardware. Is it 'illegal' for someone to give me wavs recorded/output from the hardware? No, right?
Delete if it breaks the rules, please. But its just a link to Reddit. I did not think they allowed piracy type talk there.
ImageImageImageImage

*edit* oops I posted in the wrong thread.. :dog:
Last edited by V0RT3X on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

I'm digging that harp and what I've heard so far. Will have my preorder in soon.

Return to “Instruments”