£450 Monitors? (EDITED)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the market for a set of studio monitors and I have around £450 to spend at the very max.
I don't mind buying second hand and they're going to be used to produce Techno and Trance music, as well as being plugged into my Pioneer DDJ SR for DJ'ing. I've looked at nearly everything I can ger second hand in that price range and there's a LOT. What have really caught my attention are the Yamaha HS7/8/80M's, Mackie HR624 Mk2, Event TR8's and 20/20 BAS V3's, JBL LSR308's and the KRK Rokit RP8 G3's...so mainly all the big guys.

Given the choice, which would you choose? And why?
Last edited by Gavvo on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have the JBL LSR 308's but the 305's are just as good and have a great flat response. Love em!

Jon

Two replies and you've both named the same monitor, which speaks volumes for me. Thanks :)

I have the JBL LSR 305's and they are very good, frequency response is as low as 43Hz.

I was at guitar center last week or so and I had a chance to test the lsr305's. I tested it with a prog metal song that had heavy guitars, synths, and singing and I found that compared to the yamaha hs50m, the sound was bassy, but muffled or boxed in. The hs50m was more clear, but less bass. Has this been any of your experience for any of you who own the lsr305's? I know you guys say it has a flat frequency, but does it sound muffled or boxed in to you guys?

Just a quick update.

Went and demo'd some...sorry...a fair few monitors today and I was literally blown away by the Yamaha HS7's. I never even auditioned anything of the 8" variety due to the sheer size of them - bearing in mind we were in a 9ft x 15ft room and my studio is 7ft x 6ft - the HS7's were unreal. I tried them through 3 genres of music (trance, techno and..errr...Keane...) and don't get me wrong, the high's were very bright and emphasized more than I'd thought they would be but the HF-Cut does sort that out. The bass response on another note was brilliant..again, in an untreated room, I was really impressed. My Alesis M1 Active MkII's were used in a semi-treated room with iso pads and the local audition room was literally raw and untreated. I also tried the recommended LSR305's. whivch were impressive, particulaly through high frequencies, but for an extra £35 per piece the HS7's are a no-brainer.

Muffled or boxed in... untreated audio sounds that way on flat speakers. When you run through a big sub and some treated speakers you get a great sound...

Until you get in your car.

Then you realize your sound was all built around the "shaped" speakers. But with flat monitors like the 305's or 308's you work to get the best sounds. When it hits your car audio...it is cake.

Jon

Check out my post on the BX8 d2 deal.

They aren't nearly as good as the Yamaha HS80's but they are still good. Great deal too if you are in a bind.

They usually sell for 500 a pair. But here they are for around 202.90 US dollars. (pair)
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

The Yammies are very good monitors to work with, probably not the best for just listening music (kind of harsh), but they are very honest and that's what you need for music production.
dedication to flying

I may be wrong. But the Yamaha HS8's suck.

Like I said I might be wrong. From what I remember thay changed it signficantyl from the HS80's.

There used to be 2 EQ on the back. One for Lows and one for Highs.

From what I remember the HS8's sounded like crap completely, and yes harsh and distorted all over.

You just may want to double check that. Try a demo instore.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dynaudio_bm5a_mkii.htm

I have a pair of BM5As. I think they're very good for the money, quite detailed, especially with a good interface.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”