Which compressor do you actually use?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Classic Opto's and FET's, but from different developers so I have options and flavour.

For 1176's, I use Sknote and HoRNeT's.
Opto's are Hornet and the P&M Electro Optical, I've started to use this one a LOT taking off like 3db.
For my MixBuss, I use Sknote's StripBus 4k Compressor.
OverToneDSP's 4k Channel comp, and their Fairchild.

Non-emulations are pretty much just NI SuperChargerGT, I believe.

PA Vertigo VSC-2
PA Elysia Mpressor
PA Elysia Alpha
FabFilter Pro-C
FabFilter Pro-MB
Cytomic/Ableton The Glue

arkmabat wrote:I don't have a dedicated compressor and am curious what you find yourself using the most.
Cockos ReaComp for Sidechaining the bass
Jeroon Breebaart's Red Phatt Pro on Drums tracks
Cockos ReaXComp on the Master
IK Classic T-RackS Tube Compressor on the Drum Buss and the Bass Buss
IK Vintage Tube Compressor Model 670 on everything else, all tracks and Busses that have not been mentioned before.

This setup is working well for me, I never use anything else anymore.

it really depends on the sound i'm after. i've got quite a few of them (though a lot less than, say, Dean aka Nekro :-D ), and each of them i treat as basically a "preset" of sorts. if i want subtle or automagic - i go opto-style or fairchild, if i want agressive - go VCA- or FET-style, if i want special functionality (RMS, unusual sidechain etc.) or precise control over the compression, i reach for DC8C. for those rare cases i have no idea what i want, i can try more esoteric options i have (e.g. Supercharger GT), but that rarely happens.
Last edited by Burillo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Toneboosters for basic compression
Maschine compressor for sidechain compression
Supercharger GT or RoughRider for odd stuff, or else Transient Master -> Toneboosters

Damn, SuperCharger was a hit!
ImageImageImageImage

I love the supercharger gt! If you have just the supercharger, I urge you to upgrade!

This thing LIVES on my drumbuss

Yeah, supercharger GT is one of the most unique comps I have.

IK Bus Comp & IK 670 the most
IK Opto & NI SuperCharger sometimes

Pair of Chandler Germanium Compressors 99.9% of the time, otherwise it's the beta of the new TDR one, or Klanghelm DC8C2.

Currently Slate VBC collection, Sknote Sta-Limit, sometimes Cytomic Glue ..
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

arkmabat wrote: Pretty sure what the TBT license is getting at is that you can't sell/rent the plugin since it's free. His last word was this:

"If you CREATE something with the sound that come out of the tool
then you can do what ever the f**k you want with it. If you use the tool itself for the
purpose of making money then that is not ok. If you don´t get that moral difference then f**k off! ;-)"

The guy certainly has some issues though...
issues? sounds like an utter twat!

i use whatever fits the bill. there's so many paid and free compressors on my computer it's ridiculous.

I forgot to mention PSP OldTimer and the Overtone Fairchild emu

Since I own consloe 1 I made two mixes with only the console 1 comp. My mixes never soundet better...

The same for the eq thread.

ableton built in and the glue mostly
i still sometimes throw a waves RCL some places

Return to “Effects”