Mixcraft 7?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

LawrenceF wrote:I like those guys. The used their skills and carved a nice niche in the market for themselves and aren't trying to win the daw war or "beat PT", they're just making a nice affordable product that some probably won't like. Nice product. v7 looks nicer.

I don't know those guys backgrounds but that seems like a really good use of a computer science degree, instead of sitting in a cubicle somewhere like a corporate zombie, go make a nice product and be your own boss. :tu:

The video is kinda like "Revenge of The Nerds." I bet they didn't get laid much in H.S. and I bet the popular guys are mostly probably not doing much of note now. :hihi:

Downloading the v7 beta to give it a spin. :tu:
I actually loved Mixcraft's concepts and their incessant desire to provide the most customer support possible,but Mixcraft 6 was an utter no-win situation....which is why I sincerely hope that version 7 is much more 3rd party plug-in friendly.

AlesisVi61 wrote:
original flipper wrote:Hi

What kind of contact have you had with the developer in relation to your 'crashes'?

Crashes/bugs which can be replicated by a developer are likely to be looked at - although I can imagine that if such issues are rare a developer might not pursue them.

If you still hanker after Mixcraft then why not get involved - the video stated that they want people to get on board with beta testing - you can then feedback any issues you have to them - they seem to want to make the app stable.

My experience of PC's is that there are so many variables - it is a wonder ANYTHING works on them (I am a PC user of 20 years BTW!)

I have the V6 demo on my Internet PC and quite like it.
Well...they always ask for people to send them crash logs(which I tried to do,several times)..but the program I had on my PC at the time,would constantly malfunction and I never did get that sorted out(I don't remember the exact nature of the problem)...but my issues were just so compounded,that it was more aggravation that I could take.
I had similar issues with Sonar X2...but between these 2 companies,I would definitely give Mixcraft a second go around,over Cakewalk.
So you did that rant about MC6 and now you say that you had similar issues with Sonar, which clearly shows that the problem was with you and your computer, not the software...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote:
original flipper wrote:Hi

What kind of contact have you had with the developer in relation to your 'crashes'?

Crashes/bugs which can be replicated by a developer are likely to be looked at - although I can imagine that if such issues are rare a developer might not pursue them.

If you still hanker after Mixcraft then why not get involved - the video stated that they want people to get on board with beta testing - you can then feedback any issues you have to them - they seem to want to make the app stable.

My experience of PC's is that there are so many variables - it is a wonder ANYTHING works on them (I am a PC user of 20 years BTW!)

I have the V6 demo on my Internet PC and quite like it.
Well...they always ask for people to send them crash logs(which I tried to do,several times)..but the program I had on my PC at the time,would constantly malfunction and I never did get that sorted out(I don't remember the exact nature of the problem)...but my issues were just so compounded,that it was more aggravation that I could take.
I had similar issues with Sonar X2...but between these 2 companies,I would definitely give Mixcraft a second go around,over Cakewalk.
So you did that rant about MC6 and now you say that you had similar issues with Sonar, which clearly shows that the problem was with you and your computer, not the software...
What is wrong with you?If you know anything about Sonar X2,you would know that legions of Sonar X2 users have had many crashing issues with not only importing video,but the included VST's would crash this DAW as well.
Go ahead...type in Sonar X2 into Google and see for yourself,before you put the blame on me.

ShawnG wrote:there are other budget DAWs that can work with video as well, I'm sure someone will come in here shortly to tell you all about Reaper.
It's hard not to, when you offer the implication that unless something costs $500+, it must be inferior and flawed, or that the price necessarily reflects on usability, quality, or feature wealth. You're a marketeer's ideal customer, but still.

AlesisVi61 wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote: Well...they always ask for people to send them crash logs(which I tried to do,several times)..but the program I had on my PC at the time,would constantly malfunction and I never did get that sorted out(I don't remember the exact nature of the problem)...but my issues were just so compounded,that it was more aggravation that I could take.
What is wrong with you?If you know anything about Sonar X2,you would know that legions of Sonar X2 users have had many crashing issues with not only importing video,but the included VST's would crash this DAW as well.
Go ahead...type in Sonar X2 into Google and see for yourself,before you put the blame on me.
Nothing is wrong with me, thanks for asking :hug:

Well, you can enter any DAW including Studio One + crash in Google and you will get lots of hits. So?

Anyway, I wrote what I wrote because your statements regarding Mixcraft were wrong in my view. Whatever the reason is in your case, it is not Mixcraft's fault because others like me love it among other reasons because it is so robust and almost uncrashable. I don't think it has ever crashed in those two years I have been using it. What does happen on rare occasions is that when there is a problem with a plugin, it says that there was a problem with plugin so and so, which has thus been muted. But I can continue to work on the project in the same session, I simply reload the plugin and it works again.
I get that problem with one particular plugin from time to time. I told the developer and he said that the EQ module in that synth has a bug, but he can't fix it since it is a third-party SE module. So again, it is the plugin's fault, not Mixcraft's.

AlesisVi61 wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote: Well...they always ask for people to send them crash logs(which I tried to do,several times)..but the program I had on my PC at the time,would constantly malfunction and I never did get that sorted out(I don't remember the exact nature of the problem)...but my issues were just so compounded,that it was more aggravation that I could take.
Nothing is wrong with me, thanks for asking :hug:

Well, you can enter any DAW including Studio One + crash in Google and you will get lots of hits. So?

Anyway, I wrote what I wrote because your statements regarding Mixcraft were wrong in my view. Whatever the reason is in your case, it is not Mixcraft's fault because others like me love it among other reasons because it is so robust and almost uncrashable. I don't think it has ever crashed in those two years I have been using it. What does happen on rare occasions is that when there is a problem with a plugin, it says that there was a problem with plugin so and so, which has thus been muted. But I can continue to work on the project in the same session, I simply reload the plugin and it works again.
I get that problem with one particular plugin from time to time. I told the developer and he said that the EQ module in that synth has a bug, but he can't fix it since it is a third-party SE module. So again, it is the plugin's fault, not Mixcraft's.
So then..both Kontakt and Alchemy are substandard plug-in's(despite the fact they worked perfectly without ever crashing in Studio One)?
FYI..any plug-in's that had a similar amount of draw in CPU,would crash my Mixcraft 6 and yet,I could put just about any VST imaginable in my S1(which was on the same computer by the way) and not even experience so much a hiccup.
Even studio(when it first hit the market)had it's share of bugs,but were all pretty much eradicated after a few months and it's been rock solid ever since and yet,Mixcraft has been around for nearly a decade before version 6 even came out and still,Mixcraft 6 was a train-wreck for many users.

As for Sonar X2 ask anybody that used Sonar a decade ago and they will all tell you how rock solid it was and what a train wreck it had become,once Roland began cluttering it with a plethora of features.I have a friend who was with Sonar from the beginning and he could attest to this.

I've dealt with Acoustica's tech support several times for a period of months and they never assigned blame to the VST's I was using,as being the cause for my problems..but you are.

Quite being in such a utter state of denial and so quick to blame others for Mixcraft's behavior,just because this program happened to work for you for whatever reason....because no matter how strongly you believe version 6 is flawless,that does not make it so.

Even if I had somehow got Mixcraft to run properly,no DAW should require so much effort and trouble-shooting,just to run without crashing every 90 seconds.

Plug-in's like Kontakt and Alchemy,have solid programming behind them,so the crashing I've experienced is the result of substandard programming on Mixcraft's part...not Alchemy's or NI's.

You can throw just about any plug-in at Studio One and it will not crash and in fact,the only times my S1 froze up on me due to VST's,were ones such as the few oddball freeware plugin's I've used and AIR Music Tech's VST's(because they only recently developed their VST format & still have not work out all of the bugs).
In that case,I was able to workaround these problems,but AIR's stuff still gives me some slight display issues...but at least I can work through them...whereas with Mixcraft 6,I ran into a brick wall.

I am not trashing Acoustica as a company,as I am merely voicing my experiences of my insurmountable issues I've had(which other have had as well).

Bottom line is,a rock solid DAW works and works for everyone,period.Some may have some performance issues to iron out depending on their computer configuration...but solid DAW's don't crash,unless there is a very poorly programmed VST within that DAW.

It's interesting to me,that just because I happened to mention one other DAW that I've used that's notorious for being unstable,it somehow,in your mind...gives you a valid reason to assign blame on me,for my Mixcraft 6 not working properly(as if it's some isolated incident).

The main topic at hand in this thread,was to discuss Mixcraft 7(not to bicker over version 6)...but there always has to be some elitist-software-snob to piss all over everything,doesn't there?

OK, now that you mention specific plugins, both are sample-based. I wonder if it has to do with memory or memory management. MC6 is 32-bit only, which means memory usage is limited.
Can you run Diva on it? It is also a hog, but in terms of CPU rather than memory.
I can run one instance of Diva (best quality setting, chords) on MC6, just like on Mulab. But the reason is my weak AMD processor :P
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlesisVi61 wrote:The main topic at hand in this thread,was to discuss Mixcraft 7(not to bicker over version 6)...but there always has to be some elitist-software-snob to piss all over everything,doesn't there?
Why then is half the OP just that: bickering and trashing of Mixcraft 6 :?

AlesisVi61 wrote:Despite the low cost of it,I was still shocked at how insanely unstable it was,as whenever I added 3rd party plug-in's,it created a sh*t-storm of crashing issues.
It was so severe,that every few minutes or so,I had to constantly save my work,due to the consistent crashes and it got to a point where Mixcrap 6 was utterly unusable.

It's been my experience,that either poorly programmed DAW's and/or plug-in's,cause crashing,rather than the lack of computer optimization(and yet,every avid Mixcrap fan,claims it's the latter).
If Mixcraft 6 was such a disaster for you why on Earth are you thinking of getting Mixcraft 7?

FWIW Mixcraft 6 works fine for me but I can't say I've used it that much.

Mivo wrote:
ShawnG wrote:there are other budget DAWs that can work with video as well, I'm sure someone will come in here shortly to tell you all about Reaper.
It's hard not to, when you offer the implication that unless something costs $500+, it must be inferior and flawed, or that the price necessarily reflects on usability, quality, or feature wealth. You're a marketeer's ideal customer, but still.
I was offering the implication that if the op was willing to spend in excess of 500 bucks for kontakt and alchemy, that they might better spend that money on a good daw. This is akin to having 1000 dollar rims on a POS car. Reaper never appealed much to me to recommend it, but it is capable and runs well, and of the budget DAW options I felt it was appropriate to mention it. Since you've taken the opportunity to insinuate that I'm some sort of host snob, you should know that I am a huge fan of Tracktion, but it is not without its idiosyncacies either. I would love to be wrong on this, but nothing I have ever seen in the budget host market (of which you are apparently a merketers dream) particularly if you are working with video, fits the bill long term.

Erm.. I once faced the same trouble. I liked an app very much but couldn't get it working the way it should be working. Finally I gave up. Please do understand this can be really frustrating. Especially when others just have it running without problems. This can happen to anyone. Or you have to be some computer expert. Especially when trouble is related to hardware.. been there as well.
I use a PC since 1994.

cubanoid wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote: If Mixcraft 6 was such a disaster for you why on Earth are you thinking of getting Mixcraft 7?
Because version 7 seems to be a big step in the right direction...like being 64 bit,for starters.

Despite all of Mixcraft 6's issues that I experienced,it was still difficult for me to discard it,because I really liked the program's unique approach in design and features...so I tolerated quite a bit of aggravation for a couple of months,before I gave up on it.
I actually had no intention of revisiting Mixcraft...ever,but a Mixcraft 7 advertisement randomly popped up on my Facebook wall and I was curious and then became quite intrigued with what looked like promising improvements.

ShawnG wrote:Since you've taken the opportunity to insinuate that I'm some sort of host snob, you should know that I am a huge fan of Tracktion, but it is not without its idiosyncacies either.
I disagreed with the implication that the price necessarily reflects on the quality or capability of a product, especially when it comes to software where there are no traditional material costs involved ("only" labor), and prices tend to be more "arbitrary". It's common that customers feel that if something costs more, it'll also be better, or that "you get what you pay for", which I feel doesn't always apply. Certainly not in Reaper's case. (I've never used Mixcraft, so I can't comment on it.)

As for Tracktion, I actually just bought a license (and Groove3's "Tracktion 5 Explained" video series). The "one window" approach appeals to me quite a bit since I tend to work on a laptop. The native Linux support also contributed to the purchase decision (I don't currently run Linux on my "main" machine, but plan to switch it over to ArchLinux as soon as my job allows). The interface takes a bit to get used to, but I feel that Tracktion makes a good companion for Renoise (and Reaper, which I chiefly use for recording).

AlesisVi61 wrote:Despite all of Mixcraft 6's issues that I experienced,it was still difficult for me to discard it,because I really liked the program's unique approach in design and features..
If you liked Mixcraft then you should at least try the demo of Mixcraft 7. If it still crashes then you can just move on.

You might also want to question your assumption that the problems where not down to computer issues. If the extreme instabilities you experienced were due to bad coding I doubt that Acoustica would still be in business. Lots of things can cause instabilites and tracking them down can be frustrating but if you've found a DAW that you like which fits your workflow it might be worth the effort.

cubanoid wrote:
AlesisVi61 wrote: If you liked Mixcraft then you should at least try the demo of Mixcraft 7. If it still crashes then you can just move on.

You might also want to question your assumption that the problems where not down to computer issues. If the extreme instabilities you experienced were due to bad coding I doubt that Acoustica would still be in business. Lots of things can cause instabilites and tracking them down can be frustrating but if you've found a DAW that you like which fits your workflow it might be worth the effort.
Well...that is the most logical and obvious thing to do,is to try a demo first...if that had not occurred to me,I wouldn't even have bothered to start a thread about Mixcraft 7.

Don't you think I would have already second guessed myself hundreds of times over,as to what the root cause was to my issues(as they were)?
If I still had my copy of version 6,I could have tried running it my on current PC just to see what would occur,but with a new version coming out which seems to be a major overhaul,I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Anyone could easily surmise,that if a company survives more than a few years,then there is nothing wrong..or majorly wrong with the software...which I don't find to be necessarily accurate.

Acoustica survives I think,because of their pricing,customer support,feature set and also due to the fact that there is a way...among a certain group of users,to manipulate their computers to accommodate M6 and I would venture to say,that there are some VST's that M6 users avoid using,to prevent M6 from crashing.
The point is,that no DAW should give anyone that much trouble,just because..presumably,one's computer is not fine-tuned to perfection.
Even trying to send crash logs from M6 were giving me problems and it just seemed to me,that Mixcraft 6 was in some sort of a permanent beta-testing phase and I found all of the obstacles to be insurmountable..so I had to move on..because frankly,having an in-DAW video option,just wasn't that important anymore.

As for the workflow thing,Studio One serves me well(but the makeshift video sync program for it,is too rudimentary for my taste).
Sonar X2 was a complete bust(& didn't want to bother with X3) and I did not like Cubase at all.This essentially just leaves me with Mixcraft 7 as a possible option and if it functions reasonably well,then it will be a very economical option(since most of my plastic is maxed out).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”