One-Synth-Challenge #67: Digits by Extent of the Jam (z.prime wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

z.prime wrote:
LouisG wrote:I actually have a Digits 1.4 source base I've written that includes different glide+mono modes, optional real filters (with drive), 3 LFOs, and a bunch of other major new features. But, I haven't found the energy to code up the GUI for it! ... I'd be interested in the suggestions!
Maybe you could get some help with a GUI if you were interested - a few people here are good with graphics & programming, just not necessarily audio stuff.

Here are the big things I'd like to see:
* knobs with up/down control vs rotary
* consistent sound generation (e.g. the thing a lot of people complained about trying to get percussion... like a free running oscillator or something) - maybe have an option to leave whatever it is free running
* mono/glide (as was said before)
* sine wave oscillator shape
* normal ADSR envelopes
* ability to automate more parameters (there are some that only seem to affect the sound by the shape env, e.g. the shaper max/min and automating them doesn't do anything)

Uhh... I think that's it for now.
Oh yeah, a bunch of those improvements are in the version sitting on my drive. I'll see if I can't get that out soon. The up/down vs. rotary I think can be set with some DAWs in the preferences. For example, in Renoise, it's up/down.

When automating min/max, check out the pulse width setting because that can severely affect it due to the odd way that it works.
OPL2 is forever

Also for min/max try turning the reso all the way up, makes adjusting those settings more pronounced I noticed.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Thanks LouisG for this great synth!

May I say I absolutely love it :)
Its not much to look at, but once you start twiddling those dials something magic happens. I found some pretty real sounding instruments with just minor tweaks from one to another, going from organ to piano, tuba to trumpet to clarinet etc.
Although hard to get consistency for kicks etc theres something special about its unruliness which I would hate for it to lose, so please be careful with the updates.
I found it exciting to play with the relationship between the shaper, the reso, and fm controls and modulating the shaper with velocity enabled excellent choral patches and vocal stabs which would be hard to replicate in another synth, even with built in filters.
I will post some patches as soon as I get it together. :)

Thanks LouisG! I really enjoyed your Digits synth ;)

It sounds awesome and very variable. Its CPU- and RAM-friendly. Sometimes its a bit tricky, but thats the challenge.

Keep on development. Looking forward to the new version. :tu:

Voted!

Voted

LouisG wrote:Hey, author of Digits here! These entries *rock*. I'm listening to them now. And I'm super flattered to have my synth get picked for this synth challenge :hyper:
Thanks for making this synth. We all managed to squeeze some amazing sounds from it. Like Z.prime says, very cpu friendly as well. When you update, please take care to not change the character of the beast, it's what we all have come to love!

Glad you liked the tracks. Quite a variety of genres represented there, which is certainly a big thumbs up for the synth. :tu:

dB

voting done.

Voted.

Sorry for the delay, OSC68 coming up soon!

Hi OSC-ers,

Decided to watch from the side-lines this month but I did get time to play with DigitsVST and it is defiantly a fun and capable synth (dat filta doe...) so I look forward to hearing all the submissions.

On that note, Is there an archive of all the tracks up yet ....did I miss the link somewhere right in front of my face?

Cheers all and good luck :)

bh9090 wrote:If anyone has advice on how to EQ heavily distorted synths without them sounding either too dull or too bee swarming buzzy, I'm all ears. I can never find the right balance.
Fletcher-Munson Curve 'Em, Maybe? :wink:

Somehow such instruments remind me the vocals!! (So hard to pull it right when you only have the cheapest mic possible!!)

Voted!

I like keith's track the most :)

Return to “Instruments”