---

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im trying the Tech preview. Upgraded from 8.1 The good, start menu back properly, Metro apps are windowed and you can close then with x as per normal. No need to access that stupid sidebar to do anything now. The bad, forced Ms sign in and forced Onedrive running. SO far looks ok.

UltraJv wrote:Im trying the Tech preview. Upgraded from 8.1 The good, start menu back properly, Metro apps are windowed and you can close then with x as per normal. No need to access that stupid sidebar to do anything now. The bad, forced Ms sign in and forced Onedrive running. SO far looks ok.
I have a machine with a dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. That 8.1 is a secondary system I installed just for testing purposes

I am willing to upgrade that 8.1 to the tech preview, but I'm afraid of the boot manager becoming damaged (anyway, I had to repair it so many times when I was configuring the machine that I think I will not have any problem doing that again).

Will probably do that this weekend
Fernando (FMR)

As there will be only one platform, will it be possible to use Windows DAWs and vsts on Windows tablets? I think this is already possible?

Melodyshine wrote:As there will be only one platform, will it be possible to use Windows DAWs and vsts on Windows tablets? I think this is already possible?

People have been doing that for a while on Windows 8 Tablets :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=405737

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=417652

Melodyshine wrote:As there will be only one platform, will it be possible to use Windows DAWs and vsts on Windows tablets? I think this is already possible?
You cannot use them on the old Surface (which runs Windows RT), but any Surface Pro (those that are equiped with regular Intel CPUs) can run the full Windows, therefore, there are no restrictions whatsoever, apart from the hardware requirements each specific application has, in terms of RAM, etc.

The same rule applies to third party equipment that is based on Intel CPUs.
Fernando (FMR)

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltraJv wrote:The bad, forced Ms sign in and forced Onedrive running.
@whyterabbyt: That's strange... I don't see you laughing on this. Lost your humour?

Skorpius wrote:
@whyterabbyt: That's strange... I don't see you laughing on this. Lost your humour?
I don't see the problem regarding signing in. You also have to sign in to Apple Store to get the updates, and noone ever bashed Apple for that. Actually, more and more applications require you to sign in, at least once, to authorize them.

Anyway, I don't know about the Tech Preview yet, but in Windows 8, you don't have to sign in if you don't want to, you can work off-line. You simply have to create a user account, and MS induces you to use an Outlook account for that (but you don't have to).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
xNiMiNx wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:every single one of the "features" presented in this video are worthless. snap? really? who cares? the only thing he said that even comes close to interesting is that maybe...possibly...things wont absolutely suck on non touch screens.

live tiles...live tiles can go screw themselves.

windows 8 is garbage and i dont have much hope for 9...i mean "10".
Couldnt agree more. Really though, who the hell cares about the OS visual style layout transparent glass aero bs? Do people really just sit in front of the computer looking at the OS? I tend to load up programs, and then the OS is invisible. Strip the pos down, show me some optimized code. Let me take full advantage of todays computer hardware, dont use todays computer hardware as a reason for more bloat.
By this, I conclude that you NEVER had a look at Windows 8. Nuff said. Anyway, I like the look of Windows 7, and personally regret they got rid of that "transparent glass aero bs". Looks great.
Ive worked on 8 on others systems, like i said, bloat in 7, shed some for 8, and then they have people like you talking about how great 8 is.

fmr wrote:
xNiMiNx wrote:
fmr wrote:Well, what I saw pleased me a lot. I think MS did several steps in the right direction. I especially loved the virtual desktops, which are an old thing in Linux, but took so long to reach Windows. And the fact that the focus of the OS is back on the desktop, and not on Metro. And the start menu (the live tiles can be deactivated, AFAIR - it's up to the user). The improvements I saw, coupled with the performance gains already in Windows 8 can make this OS a true winner.
This is great if youre MS, remove features, add bloat, later add removed features, shave a little bloat off next release and claim victory? pfft.
If the bloat makes your computer do more with less resources, then I welcome that bloat. And, as I said, in Yosemite Apple also restored the old Dock, abandoning the newer 3D Dock.
Less resources compared to what? How large is windows directory up to? What extra are you doing in 8 7 or xp? How big was xp, what new things can 8 do that warrent that size? I suppose the aero stuff is programmed like an xbox game (also where the name comes from i see). I could care less about Apple in a Microsoft thread.
fmr wrote:
xNiMiNx wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:Upgrading from XP to X, would feel strange, it's like taking away the P.
Yes, and then Windows 10 with service pack P gets you back to XP. /play circle of life theme

Has there been any statement as to why they skipped v9 (besides spinaltap)? It seems like a shady ploy to trick the not-so-computer-literate into thinking its time to upgrade. "Oh im using windows 10" "10? Im still on 7 so its 3 versions old, i must upgrade!"
Commenting a joke as if he meant it? Seriously? And about Windows 10 - it's obviously a marketing strategy, but I personally don't care why they jumped - they also came with Windows 7 after Vista, and after Windows 3.1 we had Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista - theoretically, Windows 7 should have been Windows 9 - did anyone care about the number?
You thought my service pack P was serious? You are the one commenting on a joke as if i ment it.
fmr wrote:At a certain point, someone even wrote they were preparing to abandon the number, and just calling it Windows. What I care is that it is done right. But of course, your concern was just bashing Microsoft... Dude, you are stuck in the the nineties :hihi:
Yeah, i want to bash MS, and it seems you want to suck on some balls. You really think the codes optimized? You think its completely impossible for it to be smaller, run faster?

The 90s thing, that shit is original man, you make it up? You should print it on cheap cotton tshirts, just make sure its some nice aeroglass font so people suck it up. Did you see that guy in the windows 10 intro video with the flock of seagulls hair cut? I bet hed buy one of your shirts man :)
Chapelle wrote:
xNiMiNx wrote:Has there been any statement as to why they skipped v9 (besides spinaltap)? It seems like a shady ploy to trick the not-so-computer-literate into thinking its time to upgrade. "Oh im using windows 10" "10? Im still on 7 so its 3 versions old, i must upgrade!"
Some guy from Microsoft talks about the name in this video (starting from 2:10):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfveyXCsiA8
Thanks for the link, i wouldnt have managed to listen to the first 2 mins to find that out :)

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

---

Skorpius wrote:
nope; your comment is still just as funny.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Chapelle wrote:
I just installed the preview and it's still possible to log in without a MS account. It works like in Win8.1 as described here: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSign ... lUser.aspx
That only works after the install. I disabled it after myself as well. I hope its not included in the final.

xNiMiNx wrote:
fmr wrote:At a certain point, someone even wrote they were preparing to abandon the number, and just calling it Windows. What I care is that it is done right. But of course, your concern was just bashing Microsoft... Dude, you are stuck in the the nineties :hihi:
Yeah, i want to bash MS, and it seems you want to suck on some balls. You really think the codes optimized? You think its completely impossible for it to be smaller, run faster?

The 90s thing, that shit is original man, you make it up? You should print it on cheap cotton tshirts, just make sure its some nice aeroglass font so people suck it up. Did you see that guy in the windows 10 intro video with the flock of seagulls hair cut? I bet hed buy one of your shirts man :)
So, you're a troll and you openly admit it :roll: Time to mute you :borg:
Fernando (FMR)

Idk but I had to use admin mode to open MS Paint yesterday (not impressed). Not joking either. Win8 security is over the top.

---

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”