playing Kontakt instruments backwards

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was pondering the idea of playing Kontakt instruments backwards (yes, my kids are watching Pinky and the Brain, so I was looking out for an opportunity to use this word). Since there is 'reverse' switch, it was always tempting option. Just turning the switch has poor effect, as the interesting samples have long tail and different length. To make it sound somewhat useful, one would need to cut all samples at the same point so they would 'align'. I was thinking about possible automated solution. I wrote this.

Code: Select all

on init
	message (" ")	
	set_ui_height_px(60)
	declare polyphonic $id
	declare polyphonic $velo
	declare polyphonic $note
	declare ui_knob $playback_offset (200000,4000000,1000000)
	set_text($playback_offset,"offset")
end on

on note
	$velo := $EVENT_VELOCITY
	$note := $EVENT_NOTE
	$id := $EVENT_ID
	change_vol($EVENT_ID,-1000000,0)
	wait(1)
	play_note($note,$velo,get_sample_length(get_event_par($id,$EVENT_PAR_ZONE_ID)) - $playback_offset,-1)
end on
In a crude way, it will retrieve sample length for note being played and calculate the cut point. So, if you set knob to "1" on reversed instrument, it should start every sample from 1 second point (counting from start) and play it backwards.

Now there are two problems with this solution.
1. For the offset parameter to work, you would have to set S-Mod value to S-End value in wave editor... for every sample. This is seriously tedious task. But there is simple workaround, switch from DFD mode to 'sampler' mode, where it will just work (at cost of memory load).
2. If a sample is being re-tuned, the playback speed is different and the samples will not align. This is a little disappointing, since the offset value is being entered in milliseconds, I hoped Kontakt would compensate automatically. The offset change could be calculated, but I have no idea how to automatically retrieve root note for given zone via script. Is this even possible? Any clues?

So, right now, it would work on instrument which has at least a zone per key and is small enough to fit in memory. Like factory 'Jazz Guitar' patch for example.

2. If you use any of the time machine modes you would get constant playback speed when repitching the sample.

But in time machine modes, there is no 'reverse button'. Or I'm missing something...?

So are you looking for some kind of subliminal messages hidden in the samples :scared:

tkatnok... tkatnok... tkatnok...

You could always reverse the samples in an external editor, load them and use the machine mode that you like.
Anechoic Chamber Screaming :o

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”