Lead vocals on Visage songs?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Something that I was thinking about a couple of months ago just came back to mind. I had been listening to the first Visage album, and every time I listen to it I think that a big part of the lead vocals is done by Midge Ure.

Steve Strange was nominally the lead singer, but the album does not have any credits. The Wikipedia article actually lists credits which seem about right, but Midge Ure is only credited with backing vocals.

Anyone else know the album and know what I mean? 'Mind of a Toy' and 'Visa Age' come to mind when I think of hearing Midge's voice as lead vocalist for at least part of the song.

No, I think it is Steve Strange all the way.

I was listening to Magazine the other day, and thought to myself, what classics those albums would had been with Steve Strange on vocal duties instead of Howard Devoto

Take another listen - most of the tracks are Steve Strange and there are certainly backing vocals on some tracks, but Visa Age in particular has a very different voice. Steve Strange's voice is wavering and softer, but what sounds like Midge Ure's stronger and better pitched vocals seem to be dominant here and there.

There is some vocal processing going on in Visa Age, but it pretty certain it is Steve Strange.

He got a welsh sneer to his delivery, which is prominent on the verse sections.

Midge Ure might have contributed to the chorus, the heavily vocoded "Vi-Sa Age" mantra

Nevertheless to say this tune hit my head like a bomb when I bought the album back in '89. Fantastic :love:

The problem is that Midge Ure taught Steve Strange to sing, so the styles are very similar. I'm just struggling to figure out why he sounds MORE like Midge Ure on some songs and with a stronger voice. It's possible that it's Steve Strange but I have my doubts still. There are definitely points where there is more than one vocalist, and I'd say Midge Ure did the majority of the backing vocals.

I bought the album when it was first released and loved it - I think Fade to Grey had preceded it if I remember correctly, and I bought the album a few weeks after Fade to Grey entered the charts.

Midge Ure got a less "punk" delivery than Steve Strange, as can be heard on the outro of The Horseman, pretty sure that got to be Midge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tBRE#t=206

I haven't owned the second album in years since I sold all my vinyl to fund the start of a CD collection. I think I always thought the same with that album in that Midge Ure had a lead vocal input in places.

Numanoid wrote:No, I think it is Steve Strange all the way.

I was listening to Magazine the other day, and thought to myself, what classics those albums would had been with Steve Strange on vocal duties instead of Howard Devoto
No, Devoto is awesome.

aMUSEd wrote:No, Devoto is awesome.
+1

Can't imagine anyone else singing those lyrics, especially on Secondhand Daylight.

cubanoid wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:No, Devoto is awesome.
+1

Can't imagine anyone else singing those lyrics, especially on Secondhand Daylight.
Definitely wouldn't want Steve Strange in place of Devoto.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”