Techniques to bring in snare/hi-hat/ride unnoticeably?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sometimes is volume fade in enough - but sometimes I am searching for new ways to bring in percussion parts in my tracks really so that the mind does not notice this as a big change. Do you know any tricks, filters, plugins that could help me?

* Hi cut Filter
* Reverb full wet -> to dry + volume fade
Ableton Live 9 | Synthmaster | EDM

Interesting!

From a drummer's/percussionist's perspective, you play to the context... an example would be your typical 4/4 pop song intro that starts out somewhat spares -- on the drums you might do 16th notes on the hi hat and kick on 2 and 4... E.g., the intro to this old classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljIQo1OHkTI

OK, he's playing 16th on hi hat and kick on 1 and 3 there... same principle. Point is, don't think of your rhythm track as being one static beat... if you have a section like an intro that doesn't need a snare or kick on all 4 then strip the rhythm down and build it up to where you need it to be. Know what I mean? A similar trick is to have the same or similar underlying beat but with a different type of drum sound... e.g., an intro or breakdown section might use some filtered, scratchy, vinyl drum loop, with the main section being full on drum sound. So... strip it down to rhythmic essentials and build up to full section... timbral differences (filtering works, but often totally different drums sounds + filtering + whatever is even better, more dramatic, etc.)...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Here's an example of using different types of drum sounds to fit the context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfeV2ZDP3UY

The intro starts with a little rhythm pattern, kick and snare are kinda there but very light. The snare sounds like a "brushed snare" sound. At 3:21 it breaks down into intro into second section. Between 3:21 and 3:36 it's the same basic rhythm/motion, but most of it is just cymbal work with very light kick underneath (this would be an example of a contextual change). At 3:37 the second section section starts with heavier kick sound, more forceful snare sound, etc. Throughout it's the same basic rhythmic motion, but there are 3 distinct context-specific drum applications. While this is over an entire song, the same principle apply across smaller song sections.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Return to “Production Techniques”