Getting a Virus. Getting started on sound design?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I ordered a Virus TI2 Desktop, it's coming in two days, and, as something of a beginner in sound synthesis, I'd like to know where I can start. The presets in Virus, from what I've heard on YouTube, sound a bit too dated and trance-y for my tastes, and I'd like to make my own unique sounds out of it, something along the lines of melodic IDM and modern EDM.

So, what are some tips for sound synthesis you can give me, or some books and tutorials I can read and watch? Thanks for reading, and for helping!

Demo Syntorial and see how you like it.

http://www.syntorial.com

What about that guide by Howard Scarr?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:What about that guide by Howard Scarr?
I can only recommend that one, for any synth. Really good read.

There's plenty of "how-to-sound-like" tutorials on the net.. e.g. the ADSR tutorials site.. you can apply many of the sounddesign trick directly to the Virus because it's so versatile. And btw. you'll find lots of non-trance sounds in the huge factory library. And there's a lot of really good stuff to be downloaded from Access website aswell... I doubt I've listened to all the sounds yet, and I've had it for 3 years now :)
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

chk071 wrote:
I can only recommend that one, for any synth. Really good read.
+1 :tu:
very practical (just be warned, the examples are for an earlier Virus model, but easy enough to adapt, also the examples can be downloaded)

Syntorial is very good too, great approach, but you will need to be willing to spend many hours working through it, its a great way to make you really hear the sounds, rather than just technically understand what all the knobs do.

Thanks, I got it at a really good price in like new condition, and I think I'm ready to go from just tweaking presets to making my own sounds, now, I hope. I'll check out the tuts you linked!
ClubHo wrote:Demo Syntorial and see how you like it.
Hey that's pretty cool. I'm not quite sure if it'll go through things I already know, though, and I don't really need another VST, but good suggestion! Not exactly cheap, it being over $100, but I might get it after my wallet recovers.
I just looked it up, and it looks perfect.

Wait a second, you're Aiyn Zahev! I have SynthMaster, and I absolutely adore the preset packs you've made for it! Goodness, it's hard to explain the <3 I have for them.
twolegstoneworks wrote:There's plenty of "how-to-sound-like" tutorials on the net.. e.g. the ADSR tutorials site.. you can apply many of the sounddesign trick directly to the Virus because it's so versatile. And btw. you'll find lots of non-trance sounds in the huge factory library. And there's a lot of really good stuff to be downloaded from Access website aswell... I doubt I've listened to all the sounds yet, and I've had it for 3 years now :)
Yeah, I've looked around the net for tuts and such, and, yeah, it's ridiculous how many sounds are in it.
thetechnobear wrote:Syntorial is very good too, great approach, but you will need to be willing to spend many hours working through it, its a great way to make you really hear the sounds, rather than just technically understand what all the knobs do.
Hm, Syntorial sounds a bit more appealing, now... but Mr. Wallet is pleading me to "get my grubby hands off of him," so oh well.

Thats awesome! I am working on a new one of SM right now actually.

Oh you know what, I made some videos programming the TI a little while ago. They are a bit screwed up because I was still new to screen capture, but you might get some ideas from them.

I did 4 of them, you might want to skip through them until you find a spot you like then have a look at the settings If you're so inclined. Check this one at the 10 minute mark for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02F8pczISk
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:Thats awesome! I am working on a new one of SM right now actually.

Oh you know what, I made some videos programming the TI a little while ago. They are a bit screwed up because I was still new to screen capture, but you might get some ideas from them.

I did 4 of them, you might want to skip through them until you find a spot you like then have a look at the settings If you're so inclined. Check this one at the 10 minute mark for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02F8pczISk
That's even more awesome. I'm planning on using my copy of SynthMaster as something of a rompler, and it can definitely use more good preset packs! And seeing you do things on the Virus is really helpful, indeed. Thanks!

he he, I know what you mean about mr wallet!
I'd also recommend reading through "synth secrets".

The thing ive realised though, is after the technical bits (adsr, filters etc), its about 'hearing' (hence the syntorial recommendation), But you can also do this 'freestyle' by simplying grabbing presets you like ( loads on a TI!!) and disecting them, then try to rebuild them, critically listening for differences.
As with most things, its not what you read/buy, its practice and time, theres no shortcut - great thing about the TI though, is its fun to 'practice' :)

thetechnobear wrote:he he, I know what you mean about mr wallet!
I'd also recommend reading through "synth secrets".

The thing ive realised though, is after the technical bits (adsr, filters etc), its about 'hearing' (hence the syntorial recommendation), But you can also do this 'freestyle' by simplying grabbing presets you like ( loads on a TI!!) and disecting them, then try to rebuild them, critically listening for differences.
As with most things, its not what you read/buy, its practice and time, theres no shortcut - great thing about the TI though, is its fun to 'practice' :)
Mkay, SOS is pretty wordy, though, IMO, but for the sake of sound science.

Yeah, I pretty much already know how to do those technical bits, but that's some good advice, to just practice and put time in. And yeah, I received the Virus a few days ago and I'm having a LOT of fun with it! omg

Return to “Sound Design”