Need an answer......Sonar X3 upgrade?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I see today is the last day to "upgrade" to Sonar X3 for $19.99. I'm thinking about doing it....but it's an upgrade. My question is....an upgrade from what? Isn't the regular Sonar X3 the first edition type they offer? If I can take advantage of this offer for this cheap, I'd like to. Can I still take advantage of this as a first time customer of Cakewalk's?

It's probably for existing customers. So basically, grab a Cakewalk store account, and you can "upgrade" to Sonar X3. ;) Just create a store account, and you will see the price, when you are on Sonar's page. Nevermind the "last day to upgrade" too, they have sales every 2 weeks.

I just got what I think they meant. Upgrade from a previous version of Sonar. It seems like Cakewalk never has any kind of incentive for new customers. Correct if I'm wrong.

It works if you have one of their synths too, like z3ta+ for example.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

I think it works for any existing customer. Just logged in, and got the upgrade price of 19.99 €. As i said, just create an account, and you'll know.

This is what it says:
Upgrade for any registered customer €19.99

But would I be able to install it? I've never bought anything Cakewalk. It does say it's an upgrade.....but doesn't really give any details on if it requires a previous edition of Sonar. Maybe it does and I'm missing it because I'm reading too far into this. :lol:

xphen0m wrote:But would I be able to install it?
Not sure what you mean. If you buy something at their store, the products will show up in your list of products in your Cakewalk account, with serial numbers, and download link. Beware that the installers are pretty big though. I think Sonar X3 is about 3 GB.

Edit: Oh, just read your edit. :) Well, it's a bit confusing. There is the "[New Customer] SONAR X3 (Download)" which is 95 €, and "[Special] SONAR X3 Upgrades (Download)" for 19.99 €. Maybe someone else can confirm 100% that it is the full Sonar X3, on the other hand, what else should it be? I guess it's because it's a special sale that they name it like that. The link in the description links to the description page of the full Sonar X3, so.

Cakewalk lol. I need some confirmation on this.

FWIW, they also list the available Sonar sales as "Sonar X3 upgrades":

As far as I know, you have bought anything from them before you get the upgrade price. It doesn't matter if what you bought was a version of Sonar, just any product from their store. I took advantage of the upgrade to X3 Producer about a month or so ago. I had previously bought Rapture when it was on sale.

So really, it's not actually an upgrade, more a crossgrade, like NI does with the Komplete crossgrade from Kontakt. If you don't qualify for the upgrade price, you could possibly buy something super cheap from them and then buy the Sonar X3 upgrade. At least I think that would work. Their MP3 encoder is $9.99. X3 doesn't come with it built in so you may need it anyway. It's the full version of X3, it has no limitations apart from the extras that are included. They have a helpful chart on their site breaking down the differences.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with X3.

Can anyone confirm that the "upgrade" works without previous version of Sonar? I have bought plenty of their synths and they are on my account. I just don't wanna pay, d/l 3 gigs or so to realise it is not working. I'm on a bandwidth diet unfortunately.

Cheers.

You surely wouldn't have been able to buy it, if it was an upgrade for previous Sonar versions, and you have no previous Sonar version in your account. I think it's safe to download it. AFAIC, they just express theirselves mistakably, and all the "Sonar upgrades" you buy are in fact the full version. If you want to go fully safe, try and shoot them a message over the contact options on their website.

piel wrote:Can anyone confirm that the "upgrade" works without previous version of Sonar? I have bought plenty of their synths and they are on my account. I just don't wanna pay, d/l 3 gigs or so to realise it is not working. I'm on a bandwidth diet unfortunately.

Cheers.
if it says for any registered customer, then you can get it without a previous version of sonar. As I said above, I did it a month or so ago after only having bought rapture previously.

piel wrote:Can anyone confirm that the "upgrade" works without previous version of Sonar? I have bought plenty of their synths and they are on my account. I just don't wanna pay, d/l 3 gigs or so to realise it is not working. I'm on a bandwidth diet unfortunately.

Cheers.
Confirmed. :tu: Did this on the weekend.

The "Upgrade" is the full installer and doesn't need any other Sonar version to work ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”