Slate VBC

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Slate VBC is the best analog modeled bus compressor on the market. Don't let the low price fool you.

If you want the best clean bus compressor, go for The Glue. If you want the imperfect sound of transformers, tubes, VCAs, amplifiers, phase distortions, harmonic distortions, and whatever else they modeled, then go for VBC.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I like VBC for its transient preserving. They sound deep and wide

xphen0m wrote:I've been wondering this for a long time:

I frequently see this for sale in the Market Place section, and I'm wondering why? It's revered software, but yet people frequently seem to want to get rid of it. Why? I want to try it , but I don't like the idea of iLok. (especially considering the absolutely nasty issues I've heard about it) Plus, I already have the Steinberg e-Licensor plugged in, and I don't want something else hogging another USB port.

So, I'm really curious, is the Slate Virtual Buss Compressors as great as it was hyped up to be a year or so ago?
Keep in mind: products that sell the best will get sold the most. Reason? Just sheer volume. If ten times more people own it compared to a comparable product, then ten times more people will sell it. Could be some don't like it, but maybe some people just need the cash and know it well sell quickly and easily for a fairly high price.

well, to be fair, you don't see a lot of u-he stuff on sale, despite the popularity and volume.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:well, to be fair, you don't see a lot of u-he stuff on sale, despite the popularity and volume.
I've seen more u-he synths and effects sold than slate here on KVR. That's no indication of quality though.

There is a copy of diva for sale as we speak.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Burillo wrote:well, to be fair, you don't see a lot of u-he stuff on sale, despite the popularity and volume.
How do you think I got ACE?

I've seen more U-He plug-ins on sale but this has nothing to say. I expect that U-He has more sales compared to Slate (yes, of course also more instant buys and so we have on the other side more sales in the market place).
Anyway, VBC are excellent emulations for people interested for this more analog sound. It doesn't need VBC to mix/master a great sound but it can be helpful to achieve such a sound. For me it's a clear "thumbs up" for most of the Slate plug-ins (I own VCC/VTM/VBC and I think if the Virtual Mix Rack is released I will add also to my toolbox).

I like Uhe products, but I honestly would be surprised if they outsell Slate. Maybe in KVR, where dongles are hated it may seem that way, but but I don't think KVR is at all representative of the broader market. It's just speculation on my part however; what do any of us really know about private sales figures?

billcarroll wrote:If you want the best clean bus compressor, go for The Glue. If you want the imperfect sound of transformers, tubes, VCAs, amplifiers, phase distortions, harmonic distortions, and whatever else they modeled, then go for VBC.
Funny that you mention that, because I got the Focusrite Midnight Series just for this purpose (thanks to Dave Gamble, btw). They complement each other.

Sometimes I can't decide which of the Focusrite Compressor's I'd like to use: FG-RED or Midnight Comp. Both are basically "ISA/RED-3's". Only that one is responding a tad faster and is cleaner sounding (not to mention barely eating ASIO power), while the other one already compresses at hotter levels (which is why you should use reference levels) and sounds a bit "softer". You can decide which one is which.

I barely use FG-MU however. But... it's cool for vocal sound design due to it's sonic fingerprint since it has a bump in the higher mid frequencies that is really adding to a certain sound. Else it's a bit CPU hungry (which might change in the future). But "Brauerize" mix technique anyone?

It's regularly on sale - and for this, it's an absolute steal.
Only downside - f*cking VST3 issues (especially with Wavelab), but neither of the VBC modules have sidechain capabilities yet. So there is not necessarily a need for using the VST3 version.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

AC222 wrote:
Fred_Abstract wrote:never understood the hype with slate stuff and i demoed all their plugs, not for me, these are not bad at all but with all the marketing and talks in forums i was expecting to be surprised with the sound quality.
That's my overall impression too. I thought I was the only one....
Most people *think* they understand what good sound is, but not a lot do.
There ya have it...

Ultrasonic wrote:
AC222 wrote:
Fred_Abstract wrote:never understood the hype with slate stuff and i demoed all their plugs, not for me, these are not bad at all but with all the marketing and talks in forums i was expecting to be surprised with the sound quality.
That's my overall impression too. I thought I was the only one....
Most people *think* they understand what good sound is, but not a lot do.
Sorry, mate. But I don't quite get what you are trying to say here. I'm not sure if you are responding to my comment or the above person's comment. Are you implying that myself or the prior poster doesn't know what sounds good?

Each person has his/her own definition of what sounds good.

Many people say The Beatles sound incredible... I disagree, wholeheartedly.

The Beatles Mono MIxes, or the overcompressed "Stereo" re-releases?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Mercado_Negro wrote:Each person has his/her own definition of what sounds good.

Many people say The Beatles sound incredible... I disagree, wholeheartedly.

well i never thought any of them could sing LOL, but gosh they made some beautiful tunes, so respect for life to them for that.

my analog compressors sound good, and i don't get the hype with slate plugs sorry ! maybe should demo these once again ? :lol: not a single demo of their plug stayed installed more than 15 minutes on my HDD maybe it s the problem lol

Return to “Effects”