Komplete Kontrol keybed?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

keyman_sam wrote:what use is this for a guy with maschine already? you can browse presets there too...
It doesn't seem to provide a lot for Maschine users. I was hoping it'd be Maschine in a keyboard but it's not even that.

BBFG# wrote:And the Alesis guys mentioned they might be doing an 88 model depending on how well the V & Vi does in the market?
NI has never stated that anywhere. I wouldn't say there's any certainty in that happening.

EvilDragon wrote:
BBFG# wrote:And the Alesis guys mentioned they might be doing an 88 model depending on how well the V & Vi does in the market?
NI has never stated that anywhere. I wouldn't say there's any certainty in that happening.
An Alesis Vi88 is what they mentioned as a possibility.
Like I said, I'm more apt to get a 37 note version of the Kontrol,
(which NI hasn't mentioned either - and I don't expect them to. :neutral: )

BBFG# wrote:Like I said, I'm more apt to get a 37 note version of the Kontrol
A friend of mine used to be a rep for Novation and he talked them into making a 37-note keyboard at one point. It ended up being a total flop and he regretted ever saying anything about it. ;)

Uncle E wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Like I said, I'm more apt to get a 37 note version of the Kontrol
A friend of mine used to be a rep for Novation and he talked them into making a 37-note keyboard at one point. It ended up being a total flop and he regretted ever saying anything about it. ;)
And yet, everyone that was lucky enough to get one never seems to want to let it go.

Its not something you can do one run on and wonder why it didn't take off.
I may end up getting the Vortex, even though I don't do the 'live ax' thing anymore.

I know they're not popular en masse, but players whose main instrument are keys mostly feel three octaves is a minimum range. And the best to lug around to gigs are the 76 key. Another 'unpopular' one.

I think they set the standard of 'flop' at less than half a million sold in 6 months? :shrug:

elassi wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that it's a bit pricey for what it does? Don't get me wrong - I like the approach/idea.
I think that, like almost all NI hardware, it's a LOT pricey for what it is.

ghettosynth wrote:
elassi wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that it's a bit pricey for what it does? Don't get me wrong - I like the approach/idea.
I think that, like almost all NI hardware, it's a LOT pricey for what it is.
+ 2.

Good keybed? Sounds good.
Closing the interface gap between software and controller? Sounds good, but I would rather see it being done in such a way that can work with any software.
Price? No way....get real NI! If the thing had a good set of pads, and an audio interface inside, it would be much more interesting at that price (assuming the keybed is nice).

If the Alesis VI keybed is good, I'm much more interested in it, given the price.

My QS-8 is starting to have flaky MIDI from the pitch bend and modulation wheels. I'm considering ditching the combination of CMC + QS8 for Nektar P1+S61 + keep the CMC-PD ... although I'd love S88. As mentioned it does seem a bit pricey. But, considering the light show and quality keys I can understand somewhat. Hopefully it is sturdy enough for playing out?

ED .. how well does the S integrate with other VSTi? I'm a DIVA/Zebra/PadShop junky.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I dunno, I don't own the keyboard. AFAIK there's no 3rd party VST integration other than MIDI CCs.

EvilDragon wrote:I dunno, I don't own the keyboard. AFAIK there's no 3rd party VST integration other than MIDI CCs.
oh sorry, for some reason I thought you had one.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

:P

SJ_Digriz wrote: As mentioned it does seem a bit pricey. But, considering the light show and quality keys I can understand somewhat. Hopefully it is sturdy enough for playing out?
As for myself...I don't understand the light show,as being a factor for justifying the over-inflated price.I do understand why Native Instruments did this(as part of a gimmicky thingy to attract the millennial generation).
I mean after all...that's what this generation is all about,gadgets that do every little arbitrary thing imaginable,rather than focusing on what's really important.
A light show,belongs on a $200 Casio,not a $700 professional instrument.For an midi controller that has a Fatar key-bed,the keys don't appear to have piano style sculpting to them.
Judging by the rigid,shiny and plasticky appearance of the Kontrol-S,I prefer the keys,encasement and controls an of my Nektar Impact 49...much more than this NI keyboard....as the Nektar has a nice matte finish,flat,square keys and rubberized controls and more of them and it's only $159.
Even the "synth" action feel of the Nektar has some weight to it,which is amazing for the very low price and Nektar is one of the very few companies that make affordable,but high quality products.
Granted...there's no after-touch and "hyper-control"...but my Nektar is for my secondary PC set up anyhow.

I can certainly understand paying a little more for Fatar quality...but it still does not even come close to justifying it's $700 price tag.
This friggin' shiny plastic piece of overpriced fluff,is half the price of my old Kurzweil PC3LE6 and not only was the Kurzweil a workstation with a Fatar key-bed,the entire encasement was metal and utterly road-worthy.

The NI Komplete Kontrol S's key-bed may be sturdy...but I doubt the rest of it would be.

Whenever the price of this keyboard drops significantly and I eventually get Kontakt 5,then it would be an interesting keyboard to have(but I seriously doubt I'll ever have the need for it,once I get my Alesis Vi61).

I love Love LOVE my Komplete Kontrol S61. NI has been harshly criticized for what people think these keyboards can’t do. Before purchased I was very concerned about the limitations of the keyboard, primarily that the Midi out doesn't currently function. I'm certain a firmware update will remedy this and allow even better functionality. So far it’s not an issue because the DAW takes care of this and I don’t perform live with hardware syths.

I use NI Komplete 9 Ultimate and lots of other synths. The KK with iPad running Logic remote is a beautiful streamlined setup for me. Setup also works great with Touchable on iPad, Ableton Live, and KK. The iPad gives so much more info, space, and functionality for me than Novation controllers (I've tried them all) or Nektar screen (a great controller with OK keybed and LARGE footprint). I love the keyboard action - only thing that feels better to me than my Korg M3 76 keys.

I've tried too many controllers to count in my setup - MPKs of various sizes, KorgKontrol, Arturia Keylab, Arturia Analog Experience, (the Arturias suck for controlling anything other than Arturia software), Kurzweil 2600, Novation Impulse, Novation SLMKii, but the Komplete Kontrol has FAR exceeded my expectations for quality of keybed, functionality, and integration. Plus it’s pretty :-).

For Logic, I've mapped the KK to unassigned midi controller numbers and then mapped those to Logic's smart controls giving me instant, easy, non-cluttered access to most used AU parameters just by switching tracks. You can use the NI Controller Setup app to assign KK knobs to unassigned MIDI CC numbers 14, 15, 22, 23, 76, 77, 78, 79. Open any plugin with smart controls, click on the "i" button in the smart-control pane, click onscreen knob you want to control, click the "learn" button beside "External Assignment" and then rotate KK knob to assign. I did have to open Logic's Controller Assignment window (command-K) during this process and IF when i turned the KK knob the "Zone" jumped to "V-pots" or something else, I just deleted all assignments in the "Control" column of the"v-Pots" Zone, deactivated learn in the smart-control pane AND the controller assignment window, and began again to assign properly. I guess because the KK uses the Mackie control surface protocol, there are lots of assignments automatically made by logic when using the KK that are not needed so deleting them doesn't affect the KK or logic. After this setup, anytime you choose a non-NI instrument track with smart controls the KK automatically switches itself to control the smart controls.

While the smart control assignment is great, you can use the NI Controller Setup software to create templates for AU and VST plugins - and in Logic I've read the templates switch automatically as you switch tracks but I haven't tested this. At the very least you can easily call up a named template using the KK arrow buttons and the title you've given to the plugin template shows up on the Kontrol screen.

Komplete Kontrol can control any hardware synth as long as you are using a major DAW. I easily control a Korg Radius and Korg M3 with KK connected through Logic Pro X.

I'll say it again - I LOVE this controller! Keybed is SO much nicer for me than my previously owned akai MPK49 and MPK88. The new Akai's look great but Akai software to date has been buggy for me. The KK is performing very solidly.

Regarding absence of pads, I have great pads on my Korg M3 and also have a Beringer Graphite pad controller with aftertouch that I like. I seldom use the pads because I love NI Battery and Polyplex and with the KK Lightguide and great keyboard, drumming is easiest from keyboard and I get visual feedback for where sounds are mapped.

I know it's not for everyone but it sure suits my needs!

Apart from the price the very low number of controls is what really pissed me: 8 encoders in a 700 USD keyboard, srly?

I have push and I know 8 encoders are no enough for instruments.

I would be willing to expend the 700 but for 32 encoders.
dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”