Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

R8 is kind of a joke (I usually take Props' marketing with a grain of salt, but the "biggest thing EVAR" attitude was just galling) but for better or for worse, I still come up with more things in it than in Live or Logic. Part of me wants to boycott it on principle, but since it's what I use and I'm a distortion junkie, the very good amps make it hard for me to pass on. $8 a month for a valued tool is basically nothing to me. A lot of the features are just newb-friendly ways of doing things I do all the time, but having another way of doing things turns out to be pretty nice.

I wouldn't say workflow is radically improved, but it's just more fun and less fatiguing when you need to use right-click menus, tools and key-commands a LOT less. The browser is a mixed bag, but I must say its a godsend for those of us that use computer keyboard keys much of the time (you couldn't play the keyboard when the old browser was open!). So it's not changing my songs, but it's making it a lot more likely that I'll jam with it after a long day of work, and more pleasant to work with in long sessions.

Yet I'm also alright with the reaction they're getting. IMO, their iOS apps and Rack Extensions show 100x the inspiration and attention to detail love than is evident in 8. 8 early adopters better get some good update/freebie love like we did with 7.

Anyone here who is using PusheR (Retouch Control script) for Ableton Push in Reason on Windows? Would like to know it works well enough to justify purchase.

edit: Nevermind. should've searched the PUF first. Looks like it works well.
Last edited by loungepanda on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

loungepanda wrote:Anyone here who is using PusheR (Retouch Control script) for Ableton Push in Reason on Windows?
I saw a YouTube video of a user who was doing that. Let me see if I can dig it up. :)

*EDIT: never mind, it was just ReTouch Control's own product video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji6Pyr-kjkQ

:(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I use PusheR on a Mac, but have to say that it's implemented really well. I was surprised about how well it works, and really love the fact that I can use Push with Live and Reason now. All I now need is a Logic integration and I will get rid of my keyboard controller. :)

Ken

Forum ate my post, I guess...

It looks like Props is spinning their marketing for the latest Reason release toward beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYWmFbyGuY It reminds me of the Acid/loops days of past. I guess Reason would make for a good all-in-one daw for beginners and casual beat makers with a little room to grow, so long as the walled garden and vendor lock-in aspects are kept in mind. For experienced daw users, though? This release is about as meh as it gets...Revolution, Redefined...too much marketing, too little features.

sellyoursoul wrote:It looks like Props is spinning their marketing for the latest Reason release toward beginners:
Yeah, it's about as beginner oriented a video as they've ever made and probably intensely annoys the cynical veterans still reeling over their R8 disappointment, but it doesn't bother me. I've liked DJ Lucky Date ever since he did that series of production videos during Music Making Month a few years ago. He's a genuinely nice guy with plenty of charisma.

sellyoursoul wrote:Forum ate my post, I guess...

It looks like Props is spinning their marketing for the latest Reason release toward beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYWmFbyGuY It reminds me of the Acid/loops days of past. I guess Reason would make for a good all-in-one daw for beginners and casual beat makers with a little room to grow, so long as the walled garden and vendor lock-in aspects are kept in mind. For experienced daw users, though? This release is about as meh as it gets...Revolution, Redefined...too much marketing, too little features.
You're totally right.

I've been saying this for the last couple years. It's marketed for complete entry level musicians.

It's funny to watch some guys throw the best CPU configurations at Reason in effort to make themselves feel like theyre using some high-powered piece of software. When they're only using Propellerheads Reason.

Which only has high requirements now because the addition of RE's was a coding disaster, btw.

If the program was coded better, it would be closer to light as a feather = But since the programming for RE's was tacked on to the program without making things efficient, it's as heavy as an elephant.

You can clearly tell these types of people like this Enoch guy are.....well, missing certain things in life to the point where their software somehow validates themselves.

For experienced DAW users? Reason looks like a toy more and more everyday.
Last edited by Mr. Fister on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[mod edit]
how about we get back to talking about PROPELLERHEAD and REASON 8 ?

KarmaShaman wrote: how about we get back to talking about PROPELLERHEAD and REASON 8 ?
that's very good advice, I'm tired of trying to clean up this thread.

That'd be great.

Thanks for letting people voice their opinions.

My opinions are my own, and if we all agree to avoid personal comments and attacks, this forum will serve its purpose as a place to voice our own veiws.

Mr. Fister wrote:That'd be great.

Thanks for letting people voice their opinions.

My opinions are my own, and if we all agree to avoid personal comments and attacks, this forum will serve its purpose as a place to voice our own veiws.
Opinions are fine, everybody has one..When it becomes finger pointing and personal, that's different. Discuss the software and the company, and less toward each other.
cheers!

kmonkey wrote: Mmm'key - so please can you tell me apart from what i listed (i'll repeat: new browser, drag and drop anything, double click to draw and resize from left side). I intentionally did not listed new GUI because most definitelly i see this as mandatory and quite franky noone easked for it so it's their choice. I guess you are gonna tell me that you are under NDA but i'll see it anyway two weeks later so will check numerous hidden tricks bymyself..

For me it's hard to belive that out of four people with which i talked to and which tried R8 beta - none of these people managed to find anything else new apart from what we saw in video.

They are all seasoned Reason users so if really they couldn't find anything new apart from what we saw in video - and you did - then i am affraid that this R8 isn't as intuitive as it was for long year Reason users.. :?
So, about 15 pages ago I promised to post a list of all the "little details" that either weren't mentioned or were glossed over in the promo videos. I got into the beta a few weeks before release and started collecting these as I and others noticed them. It's probably not everything yet as I'm still finding new things. Nothing earth shattering here, but the little tidbits do start adding up after a while.
  • The Tool window's main quantize settings are now directly accessible in the transport panel.
  • The Duplicate function (Ctrl/Command-D) is now available for clips, notes and automation point ranges. The result is the same as copying and pasting, but works during playback and is faster. Note that the Snap setting affects the result.
  • Audio files can be dragged from the desktop to the sampler devices or specific points on the sequencer timeline, bypassing the browser completely.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Clip Color called "Use Track Color". If checked when a MIDI clip is dragged onto another track it will take on the color of that new track.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Channel Color and Edit -> Track Color called "Mirror Source Track Color". When checked it will ensure that any color changes will propagate across all 3 views.
  • Notes and automation points can be created or deleted by double-clicking in the MIDI editor.
  • MIDI and audio clips can be created by double-clicking in the sequencer window. Their size will be equivalent to the snap value.
  • When double-clicking in the sequencer to create clips, notes or automation points, hold the 2nd click and drag to extend them in one step.
  • The length of MIDI notes can now be adjusted from the front.
  • REX files now always display as browsable folders making it possible to audition and load individual slices without needing to load the entire loop. (This was previously only possible from within the sample playback instruments)
  • The undo history has been increased from 30 to 300+ actions. (Maximum is uncertain; My OCD has its limits)
  • The Create sub-menus for Instruments, Effects and Utilities now maintain a dynamic list of the most frequently used devices.
  • Songs with missing samples or refills now fully open and are immediately playable. The sounds can then be replaced at any time on the fly using the new missing sounds browser.
  • Naming is much more consistent between patches and the sequencer/rack/mixer views. By default when an instrument patch is loaded the rack device, track and mix channel will automatically inherit its name. This name linking can be interrupted by manually renaming the mix channel or track/device. Erasing the custom name will revert it back to being linked to the patch name.
  • Devices are now organized within developer name sub-menus.
  • The previous Creative FX and Studio FX categories have been merged. Devices now simply list as Instruments, Effects or Utilities.
  • A new menu function "Create Send FX…" simplifies adding new effects devices to the SSL send FX buses and can be done from within the sequencer, or anywhere in the rack and mixer views.
  • Not new to R8, but R7 introduced many more supported filetypes for import and this might be new information to users who haven't worked with audio files as often in past versions of Reason:

.wav, .aiff, .aifc (OSX only?), .3g2, .3gp, .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .mpeg, .mpa, .snd, .au, .sd2, .ac3, .aac, .adts, .amr, .caf, .m4a .m4r, .mp4., .sf2, .rx2, .rcy, .rex
Last edited by Tronam on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarmaShaman wrote:I hope we can still slag off Ernst :)
I think it'd be cool if we talked about music, software and technology rather than people.

And not that I even need to say this, but this Enoch guy couldn't be more incorrect about me being someone he knows.

I'm not someone who was banned from the Reason forum = I can go post in there right now if I want. I've had an account there for years.

Tronam wrote: So, about 15 pages ago I promised to post a list of all the "little details" that either weren't mentioned or were glossed over in the promo videos. I got into the beta a few weeks before release and started collecting these as I and others noticed them. It's probably not everything yet as I'm still finding new things. Nothing earth shattering here, but the little tidbits do start adding up after a while.
  • The Tool window's main quantize settings are now directly accessible in the transport panel.
  • The Duplicate function (Ctrl/Command-D) is now available for clips, notes and automation point ranges. The result is the same as copying and pasting, but works during playback and is faster. Note that the Snap setting affects the result.
  • Audio files can be dragged from the desktop to the sampler devices or specific points on the sequencer timeline, bypassing the browser completely.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Clip Color called "Use Track Color". If checked when a MIDI clip is dragged onto another track it will take on the color of that new track.
  • There is a new checkbox option under Edit -> Channel Color and Edit -> Track Color called "Mirror Source Track Color". When checked it will ensure that any color changes will propagate across all 3 views.
  • Notes and automation points can be created or deleted by double-clicking in the MIDI editor.
  • MIDI and audio clips can be created by double-clicking in the sequencer window. Their size will be equivalent to the snap value.
  • When double-clicking in the sequencer to create clips, notes or automation points, hold the 2nd click and drag to extend them in one step.
  • The length of MIDI notes can now be adjusted from the front.
  • REX files now always display as browsable folders making it possible to audition and load individual slices without needing to load the entire loop. (This was previously only possible from within the sample playback instruments)
  • The undo history has been increased from 30 to 300+ actions. (Maximum is uncertain; My OCD has its limits)
  • The Create sub-menus for Instruments, Effects and Utilities now maintain a dynamic list of the most frequently used devices.
  • Songs with missing samples or refills now fully open and are immediately playable. The sounds can then be replaced at any time on the fly using the new missing sounds browser.
  • Naming is much more consistent between patches and the sequencer/rack/mixer views. By default when an instrument patch is loaded the rack device, track and mix channel will automatically inherit its name. This name linking can be interrupted by manually renaming the mix channel or track/device. Erasing the custom name will revert it back to being linked to the patch name.
  • Devices are now organized within developer name sub-menus.
  • The previous Creative FX and Studio FX categories have been merged. Devices now simply list as Instruments, Effects or Utilities.
  • A new menu function "Create Send FX…" simplifies adding new effects devices to the SSL send FX buses and can be done from within the sequencer, or anywhere in the rack and mixer views.
All of this to me still points to a .5 release, if not a lesser release, at best. Just my opinion (as a satisfied Reason 7 user) . . . .

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”