Bassdrum interfering with bass

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I use FL Studio 10 and make House music.
I have a problem with bassdrums and bass.

I have some chords playing, sidechained to muted kick using Peak Controller,
then I got a bass for the chords, sidechained to a different muted kick using Peak Controller.

It sounds really good, but then I got a bassdrum, with Soundgoodizer. It's a fat sounding bassdrum (big Low frequencies).

When I add the bassdrum, the bass kind of distorts, it sounds like a rumble. I need it to sound normal
Without the bassdrum, it sounds normal and perfect.

Thats my problem.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are clipping the input to one of the plugins, which can easily lead to nasty digital distortion.

So I would say that more informed gain staging is required. Keep input to plugins at around -12 or -18 dB.

It doesn't matter if it sounds quiet now, you can increase the volume elsewhere in your signal chain later.

The paradox being: mix quiet in order to achieve a loud master.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

maybe you should get rid of things like "soundgoodsier" and "peak controller" all of those are going to mess up any mix
Sincerely,
Zethus, twin son of Zeus

Hallo mate!..

Sounds like your facing some clipping issues!.. It means you basicly have mixed your track Way to Loud!!! Make your peaks around -6db!! In that Way you give alot of headroom for the mastering process!..

Soundgoodizer and peak controllers can be a bad thing If you dont know how to use em Right!.. Especially soundgoodizer!..

When i started producing!.. I used soundgoodizer on almost everything!.. To make it Sound Big and phat!!! BUT!.. You can obtain that feeling other ways!! Better ways!..

Mix your layers Right!.. Cut out low frequencies!.. Make sure the layers dont just clash so it Sound muddy!.. Remember!.. When talking about layering!. Less is more!..

Try to make your sounds wider!.. Izotope is great for This!..

Make sure bass is mono!..

Make sure bass and kick dont peak at the same frequency area!.. Alot of modern house kick drums have a subtail that Will do alot for your lowend!.. So focus more on mid bass.. Your kick Will often do the low end!..

Alot of modern edm etc.. Actually have Way less bass than you Think!. Its a question about mixing so you make it Sound clean and punchy!.. Too much sub Will make it muddy!.. And will kill the low end!.. And that could be the Reason why your kick and bass sounds messy!..

If u want!.. You can pm me with the track In mp3!.. I Will gladly take a listen and tell you whats happening!.. :)..

Best regards.

Mickey :)..

I guess also that it is clipping.

You have to be careful with bass, there is a lot of energy.

How's the peak controller going to mess up a mix? It's just a signal controller if I remember it right.

To get it all over, have you made sure that you're not squashing the Fruity Limiter on the masterchannel if you've left it there since you started the project (since he described it as "kinda distorted" with rumble, when digital distortion would be easy to recognize as a typical distortion sound).

I'm ignorant of house and most everything else. Recently built a fairly potent 18" subwoofer for the home office, crossed over currently at 200 Hz. The freq response of the system is measuring pretty flat from 20 Hz on up and I have been test listening a lot to bass-generous conventional music, funk and "classy disco" like Sade.

I don't understand how the Sade engineers managed to mix such punchy heavy bass and percussion but at the same time quite bright and clear mixes. Excellent work.

Anyway, crossed over at 200 Hz, on conventional bottom heavy music, I'm typically hearing the bass in the subwoofer, but the kick sounds to the ear like its coming from the main monitors.

Of course there is plenty of higher electric bass or bass synth harmonics coming out of the mains, and plenty of kick drum in the sub too. But the kicks in that kind of conventional bassy music must have quite a bit of mid freqs compared to bass frequencies, for the "direction" of the kick to sound like it is coming from the direction of the mains, which are hipassed 24 dB per octave at 200 Hz! There ain't no bass in those mains!

So the electric bass or bass synth doesn't seem to be fighting too desperately for space on the bottom. There is kick down there too, but so much kick at higher freqs, the bass almost has the bottom couple of octaves "all to itself".

Perhaps in house the aesthetic and practice is something else entirely, dunno. Just babbling about recent observations because it was on my mind. :)

I would guess that you are hearing beating between the fundamental of your bass and either the fundamental or first harmonic of your kick. Try retuning your kick in either direction until the problem goes away. Or you could just eq the offending frequency out of one of the sounds. There are also tools that will allow you to do this automatically. I would recommend trackspacer from wavesfactory for doing frequency dependent ducking.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Production Techniques”