Boring post alert: decent iPad stands

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

Looking for an iPad stand, to sit on desktop and be sturdy enough to handle drum tapping, violent last minute clip launching and potentially heavy pressure from fingers during a rock star filter sweep (eyes closed, rocking out, feeling the power).

Basically, a decent, reasonably priced stand that's survived the test of time for producers.

Cheers!

I started a similar thread a while ago that may have some options for you to consider:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5535127

I really like the CoolerMaster Cube stand - it's very sturdy, rock solid when tapping drums, etc., and folds flat when you're not using it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I don't know how much this will help you but I've been looking for an iPad stand lately. Here's what my research has led to.

There are three stands I'm considering for my eventual iPad purchase. I have not tried any of these and am waiting to see what Winter NAMM 2015 brings before purchasing anything. Two of the ones I'm looking at have built-in audio interfaces (that's what I'd like):

1. Focusrite iTrack Professional Dock for Recording on iPad
PROS: Sturdy looking and has a nice locking lightning connector. Has USB Midi input and good XLR outputs. Charges IPad.
CONS: fixed lightning port placement probably means upcoming iPads won't work with it (physical dimensions of upcoming iPads). No regular MIDI jacks and users seem to have problems with some USB midi devices not working. Not cheap. The gentle angle might make the device at a weird angle if you're sitting down. Only works with iPads with lightning connectors.

2. Griffin StudioConnect HD
PROS: uses converter cables and doesn't rely on iPad dimensions or lightning connectors for use. Has MIDI and USB MIDI ports. Charges iPad. Steeper angle makes it easier to view while sitting down. XLR outputs. Can be used with a Mac.
CONS: No idea of the quality of the DAC/ADC chips, no word on USB MIDI compatbility, device is still vaporware since it's been announced Jan 2014, not cheap, less iPad back support might make it fall over for harder hitting of the screen, knobs partially obstruct the bottom of the iPad, might be hard to use when standing.

3. AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand
PROS: cheap, allows for portrait or landscape, portable, reviews say it's sturdy.
CONS: no audio, no midi, no power, still might not withstand rigorous playing

With #3 I'd use the Apple CCK and charger. I'd like to get studio-quality XLR outs but so far it's really hard to find an audio interface for the iPad that also charges it and doesn't suck. :)

I made this:
(check put my signature)
IMG_0814-web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kalamata Kid wrote:I made this:
If you don't mind me asking, what iPad app is that?

I recently bought an iKlip 1 iPad Microphone Stand Mount on sale for $15 from Musician's Friend ...attached to a desktop mic stand, it works very well. No room on the desk just put it on a spare floor mic stand.
바보

This stand was flagged up on the Elektron forum recently. It's primarily designed for holding small / desktop synths, but could also work for an iPad:

http://cremacaffedesign.com/projects/spike/

Simple design, nice price, should hold up to some serious battering since it's designed for musicians + synths.

If you want something that mounts on another thing (stand, desk, etc.), this company has some interesting looking devices (I think it was original a successful KickStarter funded project):

https://www.octa.com

Also there is the Crane Stand or Mount:

http://www.thecranestand.com

I haven't tried any of these because I keep researching but never pull the trigger ... too many options, I think :)

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

bmrzycki wrote:
Liine Lemur
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote:
bmrzycki wrote:
Liine Lemur
Thanks cryophonik. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”