Help with notation

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

midi for notation.rar
I have composed this very short peice of 8 bars for a college project but i'm not sure the easiest way to write it as notation with out using loads of rests. Could anyone help me find the easiest way to write it that is easy to read for a musician?
Bare in mind that the notes don't really need to be as long as they are in the midi file just long enough for the piano sound to ring out.
Here's the midi.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorry for the .rar it wouldn't let me upload a midi

Opened in MuseScore, it looks like:

This rhythm is what we want to see:

- as to rests... is this for a pianist? Either you are indicating what you want or you aren't.
The pianist can do a couple of things, they can hit a short note and 'sus pedal' or they know to hold the note down for as long as your intent is. So I just can't know.
If the idea is the piano notes continue ringing, 'rests' as an idea may be misplaced and means more notating than say this. I recommend you be decisive.

The sustain peddle would work fine for this. For a college project I have to compose a melody in protools and write out the notation for the composed melody. Maybe I should of composed something simpler lol It doesn't matter what length the notes are as long as the piano sound rings out and doesn't stop suddenly (sustain) so short notes will do with the use of the sustain peddle. however does this mean more rests? I just want it to be as easy to read as possible.

Thanks so much for the help

The length of notes does matter. If you want the melody to connect smoothly from note to note, then there shouldn't be any rests. If you write short note followed by a rest in this context where there is just a melody line, there is little interpretation except that you want the notes to be cut off at the start of the rest.

jeuneespoire wrote:The sustain peddle would work fine for this. For a college project I have to compose a melody in protools and write out the notation for the composed melody. Maybe I should of composed something simpler lol It doesn't matter what length the notes are as long as the piano sound rings out and doesn't stop suddenly (sustain) however does this mean more rests? I just want it to be as easy to read as possible.
What I gave you typifies what we want to see, reading. Since you want a note-on on for instance the 4th beat of bar 1, you have to account for the time from the last note-on and that. If there are rests, write them; if it sustains until the next attacked note write that.

except if sus pedal is used to obtain a different sound than holding the note. one would resort to something more special, eg., rests while signaling sus pedal.

you indicate no interest in that sort of thing here so just write the durational value of the note.

Return to “Music Theory”