Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Mr. Fister wrote:
V0RT3X wrote: I don't think they were ruining anything with the addition of audiomatic. I think the appeal of Reason always was due to the fact that PH "Simplified" a lot of things for the average user.
Indeed. Simple.

But they're dumbing down all of Reason with that device. Actually, it's just a reminder of the target audience, perhaps.
It may very well be that. For some, it may be that adding RE'say be the best thing...who knows :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

saturdaysaint wrote:
Mr. Fister wrote: You've got to be talking about Audiomatic.

They marketed it at first like it was a great addition to Reason.....and it's the most childish toy of a device/plug that's ever been developed.

It's sad. It's really hard to take Reason seriously as a DAW after seeing Audiomatic, and largely makes all the recent additions look like toys. Guilty by association? Yes.
I don't get it - is it hard for you to take Waves seriously after seeing their oneKnob plugins? ART is basically 16 of those in one. It's not my first tool of choice when I have a specific sound in mind (although it has a nasty distortion effect I often specifically go for), but it's a great tool/toy for *very* quickly trying a variety of nice character effects (ranging from chorus to distortion to EQ curves to funky convolution sounds) on a channel/bus.

It's actually extremely useful in just about any mix when an instrument seems to just need a little *something* you can't put your finger on.
I can appreciate that. I mean hell, you're smacking me with the One Knob series = I have no rebuttal, you are totally +85% correct on that one. I think I found use for ONE of the One Knob series, "Drive" I'm pretty sure. Been a while, but it's decent for a little grit and giving just a touch of body, but largely that series does indeed lower the bar for the company on the whole. Can't argue. I can argue that the effects offered are absolutely completely different. There's no MP3 One Knob, Eerie One Knob, or any of the other bad ones.

If you're finding good ways to use it, that's great. It just seems like they were awfully short on inspiration with that device.

Mr. Fister wrote:
saturdaysaint wrote:
Mr. Fister wrote: You've got to be talking about Audiomatic.

They marketed it at first like it was a great addition to Reason.....and it's the most childish toy of a device/plug that's ever been developed.

It's sad. It's really hard to take Reason seriously as a DAW after seeing Audiomatic, and largely makes all the recent additions look like toys. Guilty by association? Yes.
I don't get it - is it hard for you to take Waves seriously after seeing their oneKnob plugins? ART is basically 16 of those in one. It's not my first tool of choice when I have a specific sound in mind (although it has a nasty distortion effect I often specifically go for), but it's a great tool/toy for *very* quickly trying a variety of nice character effects (ranging from chorus to distortion to EQ curves to funky convolution sounds) on a channel/bus.

It's actually extremely useful in just about any mix when an instrument seems to just need a little *something* you can't put your finger on.
I can appreciate that. I mean hell, you're smacking me with the One Knob series = I have no rebuttal, you are totally +85% correct on that one. I think I found use for ONE of the One Knob series, "Drive" I'm pretty sure. Been a while, but it's decent for a little grit and giving just a touch of body, but largely that series does indeed lower the bar for the company on the whole. Can't argue. I can argue that the effects offered are absolutely completely different. There's no MP3 One Knob, Eerie One Knob, or any of the other bad ones.

If you're finding good ways to use it, that's great. It just seems like they were awfully short on inspiration with that device.
I was skeptical at first when I watched the promo about audiomatic but I use it all the time now. I've used it on adverts, Soundtracks and libraries and get great sounds and textures with it especially when layering multiple audiomatics together and modulating the cv. I was surprised at first at how useful and creative it became for me but now it's one of my go to devices for coloring.

It's a shame there isn't a one-knob Reason forum. It would be far easier to apply selective filters to the overzealous noise floor.

KarmaShaman wrote:It's a shame there isn't a one-knob Reason forum. It would be far easier to apply selective filters to the overzealous noise floor.
Zing! PUF misses you.

just downloaded Reason 8... and i must say... Reason is still a "click fest"... the update may have cut down on "clicking"... but "clicking" is still noticeable...

It's quite a subdued release of Reason 8 on the Props website.

I downloaded the demo too and gave it a spin. The improvements aren't bad and some of them I actually like. It's not nearly enough to tempt me to upgrade. It might be for others but for me this really is underwhelming. I am fairly certain the Factory Soundbank is the same as 7.x from my browsing of it.

Oddly enough I can't seem to find the new Softube devices anywhere in the program! I'm using Windows BTW, might be a build bug...

EDIT: Nevermind about the Softube stuff. You have to download it from the PStore. They're selling each for $70 for Reason 6.5 and Reason 7.x users and free for R8 owners.

neverenoughfunk wrote:just downloaded Reason 8... and i must say... Reason is still a "click fest"... the update may have cut down on "clicking"... but "clicking" is still noticeable...
It better not be that other clicking... :x

Hibidy's favorite... Reaper clicking
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

So... This makes 7 cheaper? :excited:

I'm surprised no one is talking about Reason 8.

But then again, after trying it, there's very......very little to talk about.

It's the most boring release EVER from Propellerheads. By far.

What a shame.

Mr. Fister wrote:I'm surprised no one is talking about Reason 8.

But then again, after trying it, there's very......very little to talk about.

It's the most boring release EVER from Propellerheads. By far.

What a shame.
to be honest... i think going from 6.5 to 8 is a big jump... but i felt the same way when Reason 7 was released...

hopefully... Reason 9 is just around the corner for you... you know one thing for certain... 2 new amps, "better" browser and workflow enhancements will be included...

I wish people would stop using 'two new amps' as an R8 enticement. They are replacements for native devices that are being discontinued, so their value is negligible. The truth is that this Line6 issue is going to create a lot of work for many people, not just the guitarists, as ReFill owners need to rebuild patches that they have previously purchased.

As for workflow enhancements, the early reports overwhelmingly suggest that the update has been poorly thought out, the browser interface is counter-intuitive and the screens are brighter that ever. Such statements aren't coming from a handful of the regular naysayers, but the majority of early adopters (or triallers).

As for the 'better' browser - these are just empty words from Propellerhead. The double clicking, the inability to preview 'in device' are both shocking changes, We have a choice whether to blindly accept the marketing schtick or think for ourselves. It appears that the 'workflow enhancements' also fall into the category of empty words.

I should also add that I was awaiting the release day to see what the feedback was before deciding whether it would be of value to me in upgrading. As of this moment I would say that there's very little to entice me, and in fact I would not upgrade even if it were free. Those changes outlined above are not the slightest bit appealing. Never mind, I have R7 so I'm hardly living in the stone age of Reason.

if i was on Reason 7 i would not update to Reason 8 either... but i will say one thing... working in Reason 8 is a little different than 7... after a few hours with it... the rack looks out dated compared to the rest of the GUI... almost like a sore thumb...

It is a lackluster update. Reason is getting stale.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”