Bazille 1.0

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

TheKid wrote:I like the concept of Rob Papens Predator PL: a huge amount of presets and a stripped down interface. But I guess that's not going to happen at u-he.
I may have this wrong but aren't u-he planning a "sweet spot" kinda synth? With supersaws and parameters finetuned for ease of use? Or was it dropped?

Subtractive synthesis gets painfully predictable as you spend time with it. I think most of us find it confusing to begin with, until your brain develops a set of paradigms in which to frame new discoveries and absorbed facts (or something like that :hihi: ). Using an oscilloscope and spectrograph really, REALLY helped me go from being a preset tweaker to someone that very rarely uses presets in any form. Having a visual basis to think about sound in terms of basic geometry really helped.

And once you have subtractive down pat, you have a good footing for understanding more complex forms of synthesis.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

EvilDragon wrote:
TheKid wrote:I like the concept of Rob Papens Predator PL: a huge amount of presets and a stripped down interface. But I guess that's not going to happen at u-he.
The Hive might do just that. :P
Except it will still have twice the amount of controls of comparable synths... :D

:lol: That's a nice one. Speaking of organic ...
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

I didn't follow the latest developments, so this subject has likely been covered in the past, but I'm curious if there are still plans for the Berlin Modular? The thing where Bazille and ACE would be part of? Is that still a wish for the future? (I understand, after a gazillion other projects ;) )

ghettosynth wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
pdxindy wrote: If you love synthesis and exploring the world of modular sound, then Bazille is exciting. If you are looking for a bunch of standard trance leads, then look elsewhere.
Yeah, in fact, I would say something even a bit stronger than that. Bazille is about digital oscillators, FM, PD, and being modular, but it doesn't even excel at some of the things that those technologies are known for. It's very difficult, for example, to get a great electric piano sound out of Bazille.
I am sure Bazille can do a great electric piano sound...
It wasn't that I specifically need it to do that, rather, I was just trying to wrap my head around some of the synth details. I tried several different approaches but they just didn't have the character of the original DX-7 e-piano sound. That sound uses all six operators, and IIRC, some of the aspects of the more advanced DX7 envelope generators.

Like I said, I don't like Howard's e-pianos, or really, any of the pianos in the factory sounds, I don't think that's Bazille's strength. I could wish for two more oscillators, or, like with the Nord Modular, a set of simple companion sin only oscillators, but really, there are many other features that I'd rather see, such as breaking out gate/trigger for the EGs/LFOs/Sequencer. I like Bazille for what it is even though I think that a six oscillator variant would have been killer

I don't recall the detail now, but, somewhere I have some notes where I was trying to replicate each part using modular features to make up for the missing pieces. It became too much work for the reward. If you look at the patches in FM8, most of the e-piano patches use some variation of the same algorithm with three modulator/carrier pairs. I learned a lot from the exercise, but, I'm not really convinced that Bazille is the right tool for when I want an epiano sound.

Here's another thread talking about the same thing.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=365995

I'm sure that I'll revisit it at some point in the future. I expect that there's much more potential there than what I was able to find in the time that I was working on my bank of epianos, other pastures are greener at the moment.
Electric Pianos are not an area of particular interest for me... so I don't really explore them. I do remember a comparison between FM8 and Zebra for a particular DX style e-piano sound and Zebra sounded better... and it is not a 6 operator FM synth

Anyway, given the complexity of a single Osc in Bazille, and all the other tools, I am sure an EP as good as any could be done... But I'm not gonna spend my time on it... so :-)

EvilDragon wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:Now I don't understand why you would make so many presets that are, well, dislikeable, for want of a better term. What sort of music genre are they aimed at?
You found a very bad term, because it's completely wrong. Just because you don't know how to use a certain preset in a musical context doesn't make the preset bad - it makes YOU bad as a composer ;)
No, I don't think it does... I know HOW to use it, it's just that I don't WANT to, there is a huge difference. So I'm a 'bad composer' for pointing out that most of the presets aren't very 'musical'? (Even a lot of the pads aren't very 'paddish'.) When I have some time I'll post a list of just some of the ones I can't believe made it into the preset list. There are so many. And for such high CPU. Then I go back to Sylenth1 or Omnisphere and find their presets so much better, it's like night and day. I just find it all quite astounding.

basslinemaster wrote:I know HOW to use it, it's just that I don't WANT to... I just find it all quite astounding.
Not everyone has the same tastes and requirements in terms of sounds, features and finish.

You've just discovered this one just isn't for you - that's ok. Other people like it, and that's ok too.

JC_ wrote:I just released my first Bazille soundset:) Here is the thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7&t=421599

Very inspiring synth. My goal while making my set was to just create stuff that would add that special Bazille flavor to whatever genre it was used in. My personal influence was stuff like Tron Legacy and Oblivion but there are lots of sounds that can easily be worth using in rock/pop/edm/urban etc.

Here's a short demo.
https://soundcloud.com/jc-underscore/beyond-earth
Sorry but that's a bit pricey for an 'introductory price"

basslinemaster wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Don't like the presets -> simple solution -> roll your own :wink:
Hardly a simple solution. Some of us just want to make music. This is a very 'KVRian' attitude - that you magically have enough time to make presets, while trying to write a song...
You can do these things as separate processes. I do this a lot, just play around on my keyboard and occasionally program or modify synthesizer patches, and during composition I can just use those sounds that I've been playing with recently

That said, if you don't like the presets and just want a synth with a preset bank you like, then yeah it's obviously not your cup of tea. Bazille definitely isn't for everyone, it's modular, it's sound source is thoroughly digital even if the filters are virtual analog, it is a little heavy on the CPU(still not prohibitively so on my i5 though), and it's presets don't cater heavily to EDM. Doesn't mean it's bad though, more niche than something like Sylenth(or Diva or Zebra for u-he comparisons), but not bad at all

aMUSEd wrote:
Sorry but that's a bit pricey for an 'introductory price"
It's in Canadian dollars so it's a few dollars cheaper than compared to USD. From what I've seen around pricewise, it's close to and a little bit less than what others are charging for 128 patch sets. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to selling these so any suggestions are welcome so I can learn for next time:)

Been enjoying this synth a lot.

I have yet to load any preset with this synth and i probably never will, i just want to put cables everywhere possible and see what comes out.. :hihi:

The big problem for me is that the CPU hit on my dinosaur age computer is huge and 3 or 4 note chords shoots it to the sky! :(

Can't wait to try this

TheNickC wrote:Doesn't mean it's bad though, more niche than something like Sylenth, but not bad at all
Sylenth is niche also (aren't they all :-))... it's an edm synth... for people doing FX and soundtrack work, Bazille will be much more useful.

Just an fyi if anyone is having any cpu issues, make sure to turn Multicore on and a couple other things you can do are: turn off HQ and go to TWEAKS & FX tab and lower the Voices and lastly you can lower the release time of Envelopes. A lot of sounds don't really need 16 voices unless you are playing 4-5 note chords with lots of effects and longer release time.

Return to “Instruments”