September Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Holly psychedelics Batman, I scored a number one with thomekk of Germain residency

Pays to be old and familiar with those hippy days :borg:

PS yes I wore a satin robe with many beads when skipping college classes (to smoke what you say???)
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

Thanks for the kind comment, thomekk. I wasn't thinking specifically of Lucas' THX-1138, but I was definitely thinking about that specific genre of storytelling!

peppy197 wrote:
Pays to be old and familiar with those hippy days :borg:

PS yes I wore a satin robe with many beads when skipping college classes (to smoke what you say???)
:lol: This was in an unperfectly way "perfect" to me. Comes from nowhere, goes to somewhere, leaves the listener "nowhere" in a concise captivating manner. Just great!
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

davidstiles wrote:Thanks for the kind comment, thomekk. I wasn't thinking specifically of Lucas' THX-1138, but I was definitely thinking about that specific genre of storytelling!
I'm really impressed by the compacted conceptual architecture here with the six movements. Really a movie - which I don't understand completely which does not matter at all - as it's just fascinating. So enough which makes it worth to listen to it more often :)
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Thanks from me, too, thomekk, for the kind comment.
No longer a moderator.

thomekk wrote: :lol: This was in an unperfectly way "perfect" to me. Comes from nowhere, goes to somewhere, leaves the listener "nowhere" in a concise captivating manner. Just great!
Sounds like the Big Bang theory in Cosmo-physics
The more you listen the more you get lost...
or the closer you look the more unfocussed it gets
:dog: :borg:

I really enjoyed listening to all the entries this month, it was very hard to rank them all for voting. Here are some comments/notes I made when listening.

beanpole - Elless Dee
Catchy psychedelia, complete with reverse guitar. Is that an English accent? :) Reminiscent of Syd Barrett.

bzur Orbital Arbeiter - Distonic Water
Psychedelic prog - Floydiness with a bit of Crimson thrown in. Nice, sounds well produced.

chaosWyrM - Instrument of thought
Some very nice modern psychedelic sounds here, and a good mix. The bass is powerful but clear. I like that phasey wahwah effect.

ClaRago - My Grass is Greener Than Yours
A good combination of sounds. I liked the tabla, but the sitar run felt in an odd key to me, and overall I didn't get a particularly psychedelic feel until the detuned section at the end.

davidstiles - Prisoner RM 768 (Do Not Follow The Singing Lemur)
It's an interesting journey, lots of good things going on. Felt a bit more cinematic than psychedelic.

DHMiltz - What I Wanted to Say
Well-crafted lyrics, fine guitar playing, reminds me of The Jesus and Mary Chain. This is a grower. Tasty outro.

knockman - lovely sunny day
Nice mix, catchy song, 'tron strings, great vocal performance. It's all rather lovely. And that extended fade is very nicely done.

LagunaRising - Inside The Swamp King Shack
I found the first and second movements a little bit astract, but I enjoyed the second half much more, especially the accelerating tempo.

Nineofkings - I Am a Child
A well-made and interesting cover, you've given it your own sound. I would have favoured an original song, and something more psychedelic for this theme.

Peppy197 - Madame Chaloff
This is quite hypnotic at times, and interesting contrasts between stereo and mono sounds, particularly with headphones on.

Shangsean - Low Down
Dark psychedelia, good and scary. Vocals reminiscent of John Foxx. Ending felt a little abrupt.

thomekk - 1000 people
A nice combination of sounds, hypnotic. I like the unexpected choice of scale.

Thanks for the comments, ClaRago and kryptonaut.
No longer a moderator.

I was asked if both participants in a collab must vote for the entry to be eligible to win a prize. I said no, if at least one votes, the team is eligible. So that's the ruling for this contest. It'll be the rule from now on barring objections, so object way if object you do.

The other part of that is: one entry = one prize, whether a regular one person entry or a collaboration.

Both parts just make sense to me, but I'm open to persuasion.
No longer a moderator.

it sounds right.
Fair enough
...and I can't see any other way (or a better way)
:tu:

Cheers

A Thank You is offered to LagunaRising for a #1 vote :o

:D and to Miltz for a #2 vote

Dont tell me Ive finally fooled you guys into thinking I am musical?
Naaah... its just mercy :ud: and a tiny pool of contestants

Question:
In next month's sea sculpture contest, is copying a part of, for example, say just 3 staffs of 40 from a Bill Evans' song spreadsheet albeit with loads of improve/mods... fraud herein contest-wise even if you admit it? :?

I'd say what you described is more like a quotation (I'd imagine Bill Evans did some of that himself) and would be okay. I'm assuming you mean playing a bit of one, not sampling a recording of Bill Evans playing it (that would almost certainly be a copyright violation and so a no-no).

Edit: Hm, you edited while I was typing. Maybe not exactly a quotation then. Still sounds okay to me, though.
No longer a moderator.

Id play it myself from my Roland RD-700NX with lots of tempo mods and mood accents

Sounds okay to me.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”