Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

ftech wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Creating a wavetable from an imported nylon guitar pluck with some rattling strings, then all these things happen inside Serum, this synth absolutely rocks!

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/f ... demo-sonic
It's alive! It's...it's talking to me!!!!!

Fantastic stuff :tu:
Cheers :party: :tu: :phones:

Female horror scream in the Noise Oscillator meets soprano sax wavetable in Osc 1, the Modwheel controls phase in the Noise Ocs which let's you basically scroll through/scratch the sample, the rest becomes evident from watching this rather spooky track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJyiri_nsQ

That was really great stuff Simon :tu:
bitcrusher wrote:aftertouch smoothing will be in the 1.01 version which shouldn't be far off. I'll have a new demo version too.
Wondering what will coming with 1.01. Mod amount adressing? Little more slot in the matrix?
-Definitely running out of matrix slots too early. (like Spectral was getting 24 finally)
Reverb? :wink:

When playing a re-sampled "C" note along side the original synth playing that note, the Serum note is flat. Adjusting the Serum noise pitch knob +2% makes it sound correct in pitch. (Actually I'm not sure if +1% is better, but +0% is clearly not a C note) This leads me to believe that the chromatic playback of the noise sample assumes the sample is a B note, not a C note. This seems like a bad idea and something that should be changed immediately. C is the universal standard note to re-sample by. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

As an aside; Two minor suggestions I will also throw in here, double clicking knobs to reset them is such a nice little feature to consider adding. And mousing over knobs should display the current setting of that knob, so i don't have to change it to know what it is set at currently.
Last edited by TonyVegas on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sounds more like a sample rate issue on your end.

Good catch. I had exported at 48k & I guess Serum read it as 44.1. :dog:
A 44.1 export test worked as expected, with audibly correct pitch.
Last edited by TonyVegas on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Request: delay times are 500 ms max when not in synced mode, I mean with the appropriate host tempo we can have delay times of well over a month, so why limit it to 500 ms, is there any technical/aesthetic/moral/philosophical reason for it? Give us at least 3 seconds please, pretty please.

hollo wrote:That was really great stuff Simon :tu:

Cheers, hollo :party:

zerocrossing wrote:
rustman wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:I've found a pretty serious bug. I notice that when I assign aftertouch to something like filter frequency I get a lot of zipper noise/clicking. Anyone else having this? I'm in Live 9 32 in Windows 8 64.
Just checked with the Serum demo and the 64-bit VST2 plugin in Live 9.1.5 64-bit (at Windows 7 64-bit).
No problem when assigning aftertouch to Cutoff here.

did you use a factory preset and if yes then which one? Maybe i could check it with that patch too.
I can't remember what patch... or if it was one of my own that I was working on, but it happens 100% of the time if you init the patch, set aftertouch to modulate filter pitch, play a C 4 and then just start scrolling though the filters. Some are worse than others, the ones with a steeper cutoff are the most noticeable. I didn't check the 64 bit version of Serum.
I noticed a similar thing when mapping AT to filter cutoff tonight as well. I tweaked the response curve on the modulation page just to see if I could smooth it out. In this case, I was having trouble making the cutoff smoothly controllable with AT. It seemed to be a bit jumpy, to the degree that I couldn't control it well. I didn't want to change the curve on my controller itself.

Edit: This may not be a fair issue to bring up. It might work perfectly with other controllers and/or AT controller curve settings. It's not a big deal breaker for me, but I thought I'd chime in.
Maybe, but I don't think so. I've never had an issue sending pressure from my Notation Remotes and it displayed the same bad behavior using Ableton Push.

No problem experienced in Cubase.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

jackmazzotti wrote:randomize serum for waaaay out sounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6kTEiM ... UA2VhaG7rg
Very Cool!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

So, where is the uninstaller for this thing? Can't seem to find it...

So, where is the uninstaller for this thing? Can't seem to find it...
There are no registry modifications, and thus no uninstaller.
Delete the Serum plug-in(s) from the folder(s) you chose on install.
Delete the “Serum” folder in C:/Documents/(you)/AppData/Roaming/Xfer/
and the “Serum Presets” folder in C:/Documents/Xfer/
why limit it to 500 ms, is there any technical/aesthetic/moral/philosophical reason for it?
Well this isn't something that I should really change now unfortunately, patches might be modulation-clipping the delay time or users might be MIDI mapping it.

The reasoning was based on looking at other delay plugins, e.g. ones that hosts provide, which often provide less than 500 ms as a max, also, keeping the delay time in a small scale makes using it as a mod dest more practical, and better mouse control of course. I made the musical times long on purpose which I thought was a cool bonus (I didn't look at it the other way around) - and knowing you can use an un-musical time out of the tempo-time by using the offset.. For someone designing a sound for a song, you can still achieve a long time of any length, just not with the ms numbers. This just leaves preset designers (wanting a long delay time to remain constant at any BPM) in the cold, I guess.
Last edited by bitcrusher on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

A lot of music and soundscaping is not based on any BPM at all, rhythm and a steady metrum is just one (important) aspect of music :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:A lot of music and soundscaping is not based on any BPM at all, rhythm and a steady metrum is just one (important) aspect of music :)
Well, I'm quite enjoying your patches so I'm not going to disagree with you :lol: However, looking at it, it's unfortunately tricky to change now. I'll certainly keep it in mind if and when changes are made to the delay module. Looking at other synths, 500 ms still seems longer than what most offer, and there's probably someone who wouldn't be satisfied were it 10 seconds.
Last edited by bitcrusher on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hello Simon... Do you have an idea when you will be ready with the Sonic Tabulator sound bank?
Would love to get my hands on the sounds for a soundtrack I'm doing.

Really like Serum as it's got a really nice aggressive edgy sound.

Return to “Instruments”