Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

On a side note - I wonder if anyone will ever successfully emulate a CS-80 with this circuit simulation technology? It certainly seems to be the way to go to get authentic sounding filters, works well for the Drop and Diva.

Eta Carinae wrote:On a side note - I wonder if anyone will ever successfully emulate a CS-80 with this circuit simulation technology? It certainly seems to be the way to go to get authentic sounding filters, works well for the Drop and Diva.
I woudld prefer if developers took the AIO approach like cytomic than make a 1:1 virtual model of a synthesizer.

I hope Andy makes something like Diva one day, because it would rock. Especially if you consider his work in Synthsquad which still holds up today very nicely and it's even older than Diva.
:borg:

Liero wrote:...is there a way to deauthorize a license from a computer for situations when you know you are installing new hardware etc. and thus gain one authorization back?...
I have some software with this option and it works great...authorize - deauthorize...no lost authorizations...please Andy :pray:
This makes C/R very acceptable...

A CS80 has too many analogue components for a typical modern CPU to cope with if it was circuit modelled.

Kaboom75 wrote:What hardware are the SMP, JPR from?
SMP = custom filter design by me, a modified Sallen Key that keeps strongs resonance like an SVF, but still growls like the MS2 (eg MS20 mk2)

JPR = OTA IR3109 cascade with OTA resonance control (eg Jupiter 8 / Juno 6)
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Selfik wrote:
Liero wrote:...is there a way to deauthorize a license from a computer for situations when you know you are installing new hardware etc. and thus gain one authorization back?...
I have some software with this option and it works great...authorize - deauthorize...no lost authorizations...please Andy :pray:
This makes C/R very acceptable...
Unless I use a dongle there is no way to support this unless I force an online check every time you load the plugin (which I'm not going to do!) It is much better just to have enough auths to cover this situation, since not everyone is as organised as you and remembers to de-auth an old system before installing on a new system.

DrGonzo wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:Question. I liked the part when you where just playing an unfiltered wave from Cypher - and added TD as a filter with envelope. How does that work in practice? The envelope is in TD Attack, Hold and Release - with the hold down to zero, would the release function as a traditional decay knob? What I am after here is of course snappy filter envelopes.
Bump! :phones:

/C
I'm not exactly sure what the question is, but I can describe the envelopes for you:

[*] in trig mode upon a trigger (ie rising edge of gate) the envelope will attack from wherever it is, then hold for the hold time, then release

[*] in gate mode while the gate is high the envelope will attack from wherever it is, upon the gate going low it will hold for the hold time, then release

So I think the answer is yes, in trig mode with hold at zero you have an ADSR with A=drop attack, S=0, D=drop release, R=drop release.

Andy, have you considered the possibility of folks using disk cloning utilities to bypass your license restrictions?

It's not hard at all to do, and it's standard procedure in businesses that have their acts together, since they don't want to waste a day reinstalling and configuring everything from scratch after a catastrophic data corruption event.

No matter how hard we all try he won't adopt ilok :)

Kaboom75 wrote:No matter how hard we all try he won't adopt ilok :)
That's a good thing.

Plasuma!!! wrote:Andy, have you considered the possibility of folks using disk cloning utilities to bypass your license restrictions?

It's not hard at all to do, and it's standard procedure in businesses that have their acts together, since they don't want to waste a day reinstalling and configuring everything from scratch after a catastrophic data corruption event.
Yes I have considered what disk cloning would do. Disk cloning is fine, you won't need to re-auth if you restore to the same physical machine (this is a good thing!), but if you restore to another physical machine you will need to re-auth.

PS: this won't be a vector of attack, I am guessing anyone trying to bypass restrictions will hack the binary, it is this I expect and it is this I have defenses for.

Plasuma!!! wrote:
That's a good thing.
Having already working software suddenly stop working just because you want to demo a new plugin is an epic fail, and this is just one of the joyous outcomes possible with iLok. If too much joy is never enough please have a read of this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... tware.html , and you can hear the tales of hundreds of customers completely locked out of using software they own for months on end with no warming on Pace's web page, no customer support in sight, no compensation, and no ability to roll back to a working older version so they could continue work. Epic fail is actually too polite for the damage caused.

andy-cytomic wrote:
Plasuma!!! wrote:
That's a good thing.
Having already working software suddenly stop working just because you want to demo a new plugin is an epic fail, and this is just one of the joyous outcomes possible with iLok. If too much joy is never enough please have a read of this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... tware.html , and you can hear the tales of hundreds of customers completely locked out of using software they own for months on end with no warming on Pace's web page, no customer support in sight, no compensation, and no ability to roll back to a working older version so they could continue work. Epic fail is actually too polite for the damage caused.
No kidding. That gearslutz thread shows the biggest issue right there: iLok updated their software and anyone who regularly swapped licenses couldn't access their accounts, and even lost licenses that were in the middle of being transferred.

That disrupted some pretty big studios for at least a week.

Sure, iLok issued a big lousy sorry, but that doesn't mean crap to those studios' clients. When iLok fails, it reflects badly on the studios that rely on them, and there's no recourse. Let it be known: software devs that use iLok or any dongle or authorization service not owned by themselves want 100% of the control and 0% of the responsibility for their software licenses, which is what they're charging users for. If you use iLok, you're taking a massive risk.

Sad that people think it's even a valid alternative.

andy-cytomic wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:Question. I liked the part when you where just playing an unfiltered wave from Cypher - and added TD as a filter with envelope. How does that work in practice? The envelope is in TD Attack, Hold and Release - with the hold down to zero, would the release function as a traditional decay knob? What I am after here is of course snappy filter envelopes.
Bump! :phones:

/C
I'm not exactly sure what the question is, but I can describe the envelopes for you:

[*] in trig mode upon a trigger (ie rising edge of gate) the envelope will attack from wherever it is, then hold for the hold time, then release

[*] in gate mode while the gate is high the envelope will attack from wherever it is, upon the gate going low it will hold for the hold time, then release

So I think the answer is yes, in trig mode with hold at zero you have an ADSR with A=drop attack, S=0, D=drop release, R=drop release.
Yes, you answered my question pretty well despite me not explaining myself too well :oops: What I am after is a filter that can replace filters in my hardware synths that truly sucks - such as the MC505 and Akai MPC2500. My biggest question after watching the video (great video BTW) is how quick and snappy the envelopes can function on a signal.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

From the video The Drop seems to be the new king of ITB filters. Great work, Andy!

Unfortunately, with the new C/R I won't even demo it, so no purchase from me. I got nothing against C/R coming from big companies like iZotope, NI or Ableton. But from a one-man company it's a completely different story.

Return to “Effects”