Why Aren't You Top 40?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who says we aren't? I am 40. ...Just not a top one.

Does making the Top 40 on Acid Planet count? :roll: :lol:

Kevin Deas wrote:Does making the Top 40 on Acid Planet count? :roll: :lol:
It does Kevin, you rock star!

Too busy rockin the bottom 40, baby 8)

thomni wrote:What's stopping you from being Billboard #1? Or Beatport #1? Or any other charting platform?
Having too many other priorities and not giving a rat's ass about Top 40 or Beatport rankings are probably the two biggest factors AFAIC. Is the presumption here that anybody who enjoys making or talking about music is somehow striving to be famous in pop or dance music? Because, that's just ridiculous. Even when I was a music major, I had no interest in that. Making music is a hobby or pastime for many people, and a career for far fewer people, and not everybody has the same ambitions or dreams. And, even for those who do, having a ton of talent, ambition, and drive is still no guarantee that they will reach #1 on some popularity charts.

Maybe a better question is, what's stopping YOU from finding a cure for cancer or AIDS, or being the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, or a best-selling novelist, or a Heisman Trophy winner, or the President of the U.S.A., or...??? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I would never want to be that popular...being able to pay the bills would be nice though.

There could be a number of reasons for many here: no connections in the industry, not "selling yourself" or your music hard enough or in the right places or to the right people, not enough talent, etc.

For me, besides being nine months into producing my own stuff, the type of music that moves me - the stuff I want to make because it does move me, isn't popular. It will never be in the top 40, and likely won't make much of a dent on Beatport either. I've yet to see an artist I really admire in any Beatport chart, although to be honest, I haven't looked at one in a LONG time. The artists I like may make the RA DJ chart or the top sellers at some online record retailers, but it's pretty underground stuff that only DJs and people that REALLY LOVE dance music would ever know.

Personally, I could give a rat's ass about ever making a chart or a top 40. If I'm making music that I love, and only a few people "get it" or like it, that's all I need. Making things for popularity's sake isn't in my nature - whether I had record contracts or not. I'm a strong believer in music being emotional, and if I make stuff that doesn't make me emotional then it will come across in the music.

Oh, and did I mention I'm only nine months into this? (aka I have a long ways to go to know what I'm actually doing)

Most likely, the procedures to enter top 40 "star" status have changed over the years. At least for some newer genres. Am guessing perhaps the grind is little changed in some genres, for instance nashville/austin style top 40 country.

In addition to talent, personality and looks, one needs incredible single-mindedness and work ethic at salesmanship. Sometimes it will be a partnership-- With the talent, looks and stage presence provided by one partner, and the bulldog persistent salesmanship provided by one or more interested parties-- Perhaps business-minded spouse, or agent, or industry insider looking to develop a new star so said insider can load up the albums with his own-written songs and make a good "extra" profit on song writing royalties.

When things start to take off, more people are needed to wear all the hats. Hopefully competent hard working honest people.A proliferation of various agents and managers.

A penniless individual with lots of talent could scale the heights if he is a driven obsessive workaholic. Maybe sometimes lazy people get there somehow. But it helps to be a driven, obsessive ambitious workaholic who also has access to lots of money. Getting yer foot in the door is often a process of buying yer way in, but sometimes labor alone is a sufficient payment. It is an awfully difficult hill to climb with all the advantages INCLUDING lots of spending cash.

An old friend is what I'd consider a successful songwriter. Several hits recorded by other artists. He never had a lavish budget. But he spent years knocking on doors, shaking hands, going to parties, hanging out, making friends with stars and insiders. Maybe every year or two a hit would garner him a big check, but the schmoozing was a full-time racket, leaving no time for a 9 to 5 job or even steady music work.

If you need to be somewhere to schmooze, you can't very well be several states away on the road, or working a steady club gig, much less holding down a real job.

Just guessing, if you average the occasional big checks with no income between big checks, maybe he would have made more money managing a pizza joint or something.

So you definitely need to like that lifestyle, or otherwise you would be be both broke and also unhappy.

On-stage stars, and somewhat back-ground players, also must genuinely like the schmaltzy music. It is difficult to be a good enough actor to get up on stage and seriously sell music you despise. Your heart won't be in it and the audience will know.

So in addition to other qualifications, you need to genuinely LIKE the schmaltz yer peddling! :)

It takes a particular talent to write a good pop song, that is cheesey and simple enough without being lame, familiar sounding yet not hackneyed, repetitive without being boring, catchy without being immediately irritating. I know, I've tried and failed. Partly due to lack of talent and partly because my heart's not in it. I don't like mainstream pop music and rarely enjoy it or intentionally listen to it.

I think a recent example of a good pop song is roar by Katy perry, which had most or all of those elements. But I could never have written it myself because I would not be able to pen something like "I have the eye of the tiger, the lion, dancing through the fire, cause I am the champion..." without dying of embarrassment if anyone saw what I'd written!

...and there are some of us who are still writing music in genres dead long ago, which aren't "trendy" anymore (or never were in the first place) :P

NickMo wrote:
I think a recent example of a good pop song is roar by Katy perry, which had most or all of those elements. But I could never have written it myself because I would not be able to pen something like "I have the eye of the tiger, the lion, dancing through the fire, cause I am the champion..." without dying of embarrassment if anyone saw what I'd written!
Haha true, but don't we secretly envy the people who can and get all the money? But those lyrics mentioned are not perfect, "dancing through the fire" should be followed by "with burning desire". Only then it is good pop lyrics!

To the topic, I know I can write good songs once in a while and can do some nice arrangements, but I definitely lack the vocal, instrumental and engineering skills that are required for professional music making, not even speaking of the energy, persistence and willingness to live on dry bread for years until maybe some day you have a top forty hit which will barely pay for butter and cheese nowadays. Also, I am better at my day job than at music making and it gets payed quite OK. I like having money!

jacqueslacouth wrote:Honestly? Lack of talent! :oops:
Same here :D Not just talent, also ambition, a message, and a good-looking black singer :hihi:

I was going to be but the Illuminati said the only way was if I dance to their tunes so I said "f**k you, I'm gonna do it my way" been poor ever since :lol:

talent is not a necessity for chart success. ditching luck from the equation, it seems more about ego, unwavering self-belief and, these days, a willingness to spam and self-promote in a manner that most people with any self (and artistic) worth would find abhorrent.

for myself, i never really aspired to fame. would have liked to have been one of those musicians who made money from music, but no one would recognise on the street.

i haven't ruled out the idea of trying to make some money out of music, but it would not have anything to do with chart music

fluffy_little_something wrote:
jacqueslacouth wrote:Honestly? Lack of talent! :oops:
Same here :D Not just talent, also ambition, a message, and a good-looking black singer :hihi:
Same here.

But mostly lack of time.

I'm too busy being Bottom 7 Billion :hihi:

:oops:

Return to “Production Techniques”