Dune 2 Synth a synth I could grow with?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am somewhat new and looking for a great sounding, all round synth I can grow and go deep with. With that in mind I am seriously looking at Dune 2, I have the demo, checked out feedback and I am ready to pull out my wallet. As I am somewhat new to programming synths, I would like feedback from those that own Dune 2. Focusing on it's versatility, sound quality, and whether in your opinion it is logically laid out and easy to program, or are there other alternatives I should also consider.

DUNE 2 is a pretty safe bet. It is versatile, easy and inmensely powerful. Go for it.

Wow you're going to get so many contradictory answers that it will be hard to make a decision based on other people's opinions. Almost every synth in existence will be recommended by someone if this thread goes long enough.......

But having said that I love DUNE 2 and think it is very logically laid out and easy to program. Can I say that it's the first or only synth you should buy ? No since I don't know what style music you do or what sounds you really need. I'm afraid you'll just have to trust your ears........ :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There are so many good synths out there at the moment. Dune 2 can be easy as hell to program and you can delve deep.

While it's VA and wavetable (and other options too) it has a fairly clean sound but there's plenty of filters and distortion to beef it up...
I actually really liked Dune one, and for Pads and stabs it was great. It didn't have the bass for me.

However, D2 excels in pretty much every area including bass. It's FM which is basic but very usable. It still has it's own 'character' like D1 . So I was delighted that they kept that and improved on it in D2. :) It's unison is unreal. It can pretty much do it all, it's definitely not a one trick pony.

And it's very well laid out, which is always nice! :)

Dune 2 would be in my top 5 - but that's just me.

Other choices: Spire, Diversion, Gladiator, Zebra, Vacuum Pro, Diva all very good too.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Teksonik wrote:No since I don't know what style music you do or what sounds you really need. I'm afraid you'll just have to trust your ears........ :)
I was thinking that myself...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

One of the best synths I have ever owned.
It's extremely deep, especially when you start understanding the voice layering aspects better.
Of course it's also good to try other complex synths out too.
The other complex synths I own that are great for learning and getting better with are Zebra2 and Alchemy.
They're all great, and are especially good for those wanting something to learn more and grow with what one learns.
I believe, I've made better sounds using Dune2 than any other synth I've used though.

tizak* wrote: a great sounding, all round synth I can grow and go deep with.
Dune 2 absolutely meets these requirements. If you like its sound then buy it, you won't be disappointed. It is versatile enough to be the main element of your productions, but with all it's sonic power it is very easy to program.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Only YOUR ears and stomach can give you that feeling your working with your synth...that will never change no matter what you read about other synths.

I do love Dune 2, deep.

mcnoone: I have been enjoying you ZebraCM sounds. Anytime you want to donate Dune2 sounds that would be fantastic.

IMO it's some of the most interesting and different sounding synth. It's some of the rare plug-in synth with something like a "signature" sound (people sometimes say it goes a bit in the Roland direction).

There are also some other great "versatile" synths like e.g. Tone2 Electra 2, Synthmaster 2.6 and Diversion but DUNE 2 is indeed great and usually will not "kill" your CPU.

One feature that is missing compared to the other synths mentioned is sample import while you somehow could "emulate" this with the free Audio Term tool and the sample resynthesis (which creates a wavetable with multiple single cyles from the sample). Playing with the resulting wavetable maybe does not always sound like the original sample but it could sound very interesting.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Teksonik wrote:Can I say that it's the first or only synth you should buy ? No since I don't know what style music you do or what sounds you really need.
Yes, that is a good question, I mostly focus on EDM, Prog House and so on. But I like many music styles including Ambient. I do feel I cannot really go wrong with Dune 2, as I like it's soundscape, I own Synthmaster but I do find it's sound too digital for my tastes. My demo'ing of Dune, to my ear's, would make it a good complement. My primary concern is simplicity in programming compared to the competition. Thanks for the positive feedback on Dune, I will be pulling out my wallet.

For Ambient it's a killer synth. I used it in some of my last tracks for moving background pads. It doesn't need a long time for programming because the interface is very easy to understand. I think it's a pad machine ;)

Happy Frog wrote:
mcnoone: I have been enjoying you ZebraCM sounds. Anytime you want to donate Dune2 sounds that would be fantastic.
Here's 77 Dune2 sounds I did.
https://app.box.com/s/srrf8btp8ipu1vypmbdk

Ingonator wrote:
One feature that is missing compared to the other synths mentioned is sample import while you somehow could "emulate" this with the free Audio Term tool and the sample resynthesis (which creates a wavetable with multiple single cyles from the sample). Playing with the resulting wavetable maybe does not always sound like the original sample but it could sound very interesting.
During the sales drive I seem to remember Synapse talking about developing their own wave-table sample tool. Enthusiasm was running high at the time.
Now that the drive is over and the dust has settled has that plan been shelved?

mcnoone, thank you!

Return to “Instruments”