Why Aren't You Top 40?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's stopping you from being Billboard #1? Or Beatport #1? Or any other charting platform?

I'm curious to know why no one here is? Or are they?

Skill? Connections? Illuminati?

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.
:D

Illuminati?

No but seriously, we have a thread that is pretty damn close to this topic already. Not to mention how often a similar question comes up in the forums to begin with. So, go read one of those.

ntom wrote: No but seriously, we have a thread that is pretty damn close to this topic already. Not to mention how often a similar question comes up in the forums to begin with. So, go read one of those.
Well, I searched and didn't see anything? Perhaps you could post a link, or tell me what thread it was that this copied. :tu:
:D

"Who gives a f*ck about a god damn Grammy?" .... Chuck D(Public Enemy) :uhuhuh:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5881834

also bare in mind "pretty damn close" does not mean verbatim.

Kevin Deas wrote:"Who gives a f*ck about a god damn Grammy?" .... Chuck D(Public Enemy) :uhuhuh:
+1, not just on the Grammy, but PE!

thomni wrote:What's stopping you from being Billboard #1? Or Beatport #1? Or any other charting platform?

I'm curious to know why no one here is? Or are they?

Skill? Connections? Illuminati?

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.
A soul
I

I, like many others, am much too abstract and arty to make music cheezy enough to be popularly appreciated by the common man!

However, it couldn't be hard. Popular music is awash with cookie-cutter simplicity and gross stupidity. I could easily do it if I wasn't so effete and arty! [joking]

Basically because I don't want to know you in real life.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:Basically because I don't want to know you in real life.
:hihi:

The fixation on "dance music" or charts music nowadays leaves open that music is much more than this - and has ever been.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

For me it's, first of all, lack of time and will. I mean: I need to create something in order to try to sell it. Nevermind climbing the charts. :hihi:

Seriously, I think I'd need to invest time and money. Time to make music and promote it, money to buy tools and professional services to make a "good" (from a business point of view) product.
But most of all, I'd need to team up with other people. I think it's impossible to handle everything by myself.

Having a full time work (40 hours at week) leaves little time for anything else, then I handle the whole technical side of music making (finding and buying devices and software, integrating the setup, keeping everything updated, learning the tools, recording, mixing, ecc.), so I don't have time to write, perform and so on. I think it would be difficult to do everything even if I had no day job (so I could spend really all my time on music), the techical side takes a lot of my time. Nevermind being a good professional musicial (I'd need to practice as much time as my current day job). It's not possible to dress every hat.
And this is just to have a product to sell, then there's the whole marketing thing.

Then there's the issue that I'm not able to make something cheesy. First because I can't really stand it (it bores me, at best), second because it's difficult to make something cheesy without being too much cheesy, it's very easy to end up with something just lame (which won't sell).
Sure, I could still climb the charts by making a quality original record, but I think it's very difficult to both make it and have it recognized by a wide audience...

I don't consider the option of being the puppet of a production team because that's not right for me... and I also think it's the actual people from the production team (even if they are not recognized by the audience) who climb the charts, not the artist-puppet.
Maybe I could climb the charts if I were part of a production team working behind the scenes, but I'm not (and I'm not willing to).

Because most people have shit taste.

Ta da'!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Im sort of lazy and selfish.
ImageImageImageImage

Oh and Im super weird too...
ImageImageImageImage

I think that a few people are being honest on here. Basically, beyond the luck factor, I don't think that most KVR readers have it in them to be top 40. Whether that comes down to talent, ambition, or attitude, I think that's basically the reason.

Return to “Production Techniques”