Apple Audio Unit Effects for use in your DAW - any good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After installing Garage Band I have a lot of audio unit effects that I can also use in my DAW (Ableton Live).
What I would like to know is whether they are any good. After my days working with Logic (which had great effects), I have a hunch that these effects are equal if not better to those that come with Live.

What's your opinion?

the reverb is pretty decent actually. haven't opened any of the others.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

The air window ones. Dont have a link... Nor a Mac...

arkmabat wrote:The air window ones. Dont have a link... Nor a Mac...
Yeah, I think Airwindows is good... but they're not what OP meant. Apple has a few AU's of their own, they ship with every copy of OS X. But for the record, they're not the same as the Logic ones! I'm not sure, but I think they were already in OS X before Apple acquired Emagic.
Whether they're good... Don't know, hardly ever use them. The guy from Kush (forgot his name) recommended the compressor if I'm not mistaken.

BDeep wrote:
Yeah, I think Airwindows is good... but they're not what OP meant. Apple has a few AU's of their own, they ship with every copy of OS X. But for the record, they're not the same as the Logic ones! I'm not sure, but I think they were already in OS X before Apple acquired Emagic.
Whether they're good... Don't know, hardly ever use them. The guy from Kush (forgot his name) recommended the compressor if I'm not mistaken.
the apple au matrix reverb gets a lot of love

I don't think Garageband adds anything extra though, these ship with OS-X itself.

aMUSEd wrote:I don't think Garageband adds anything extra though, these ship with OS-X itself.
Ah, yes it's true. I misread a post on another forum thinking these come with GarageBand.
Pretty impressive to have i.e. multiband compressor shipped with your OS.

Nevertheless I'm still wondering whether to I can use these FX in my work instead of Live's native FX...

This Matrix Reverb sounds good to my ears. Slightly better than Live's reverb.

BDeep wrote:

Are they free? The ones I'm thinking of are freeware. I think I got the name wrong. They all have guis that look like this: Image

Air Windows, yeah, they all look like that! It's because they're GUI-less, so they take the standard OS X GUI elements so to speak. A lot of them are free, but the premium models are paid (all $50).
The website is http://www.airwindows.com , at a glance, 86 freeware and 36 paid. Quality seems to be very good, but I haven't tested any of the paid models to be honest. But on GS they are well thought of.

AuDynamics processor is really great--simple to use, excellent graphic interface, very grabby--just a great comp. I know it's standard in Logic, not sure about Garageband.

momalle3 wrote:AuDynamics processor is really great--simple to use, excellent graphic interface, very grabby--just a great comp. I know it's standard in Logic, not sure about Garageband.
I see it in the list of Apple AUs. It's included with the OS so it will show up in any DAW that works with AU.

good--check it out. it's no nonsense, extremely easy to use, with a very effective gui

AU Pitch is pretty good, tone and smoothness settings and CPU saving pitch shifting quality modes.

Return to “Effects”