Percussion synths for Ambient music

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dream Works (for Zebra) Drumaxx Modal VST The Ambient Zebra (for Zebra 2) Wavestation

Some of us, not SODDI, it appears. :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Zebra was mentioned, and after listening to some of the suggestions, Zebra really stands out.

Here is an interesting track where the drums and synths are all Zebra.
(The patch designer has worked with Laraaji and Opal Music - Eno)

Steve Reich/Eno Drums
Last edited by Sparky77 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Similar to Zebra, the waveguide module in Madrona Labs' Aalto can be put to good service for organic percussion as well as being a good flexible synth. Kaivo is an alternative that gives you options to play with in terms of resonators.

Another option is NI Absynth as you have waveguide and resonator effects in there with a lot of modulation possibilities. However, I've found it easier to get percussion out of Chromaphone (naturally) and Aalto.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee702 wrote:I listen to Eno, Stephen Halpern, Jonathan Goldman & Laraaji. Who else should I check out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofUj_TNgrc

valerian_777 wrote:
sys2074 wrote:Thanks, these sound quite good but I'm on Mac so a PC-only synth wont cut it for me.
You MUST try out Axon from AudioDamage for ambient percussion. A few instances and there you go.. :tu:
Ok, I'd like to try Axon! Question is: Where is the trial version?
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

arkmabat wrote:For ambient drums I suggest looking at the Korg Wavestation VST. There's presets where you just hold down one key and get a 90s-quality rendition of the first track you posted.
I got the Korg Digital Edition and yes the WS has definitely some interesting drum kits, in particular such that just sound right and not overdone like a lot of kits that are found in their later workstations. However, percussion-wise there isn't really that much. Of course there's the wave sequencing that could be utilized but that involves quite a lot of mouse-navigation sisyphus work, which I'm not much a fan of.
“No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine.” ~ William Blum

sys2074 wrote:
valerian_777 wrote:
sys2074 wrote:Thanks, these sound quite good but I'm on Mac so a PC-only synth wont cut it for me.
You MUST try out Axon from AudioDamage for ambient percussion. A few instances and there you go.. :tu:
Ok, I'd like to try Axon! Question is: Where is the trial version?
Audio Damage don't have any demo version, just a payback if you don't like it.

http://www.audiodamage.com/support/faq.php?id=1

I've been meaning to check out Chromophone for a while. From reading this thread, I just went and took a look at Axon. To me, it looks like more of a pattern generator, although it does contain its own voices... I could see the two things being used together, with Axon creating patterns to drive some Chromophone instances. Hmm.

sys2074 wrote:
himalaya wrote:
sys2074 wrote: I've tried AAS Chromaphone but its percussion sounds don't really cut it.
I'm surprised to read that. Chromaphone has one of the best 'membrane' modules around. It can do realistic bongo/conga sound with ease, but since you still want some synthetic elements there, it is easy to tweak the parameters and take it further.
Maybe I haven't spent enough time with Chromaphone yet so my opinion might be flawed. It's just that the bongo/conga patches miss that certain something ... this liquid kind of sound that the percussions in Corbacho's track have. :)
Give some more time for Chromaphone. It really is very good.

And has been mentioned, Zebra is outstanding...

:borg:
Last edited by ontol on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I personally never liked drums and percussions in ambient music...kills all relaxing part of it, no matter how laid back the beat is. I am more of a beatless ambient person. But that doesnt mean there are no good ´´ambient´´ tracks with beats in it...

cornutt wrote:I've been meaning to check out Chromophone for a while. From reading this thread, I just went and took a look at Axon. To me, it looks like more of a pattern generator, although it does contain its own voices... I could see the two things being used together, with Axon creating patterns to drive some Chromophone instances. Hmm.

yes, i have done exactly this and it's awesome. also Axon into Battery, quite nice. Chromophone is rather amazing sounding.

i do lots of ambient but when the percussives come in i generally call it downtempo. but whatever, it's all just music in the end, all labels aside.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Instruments”