The Monks - anyone know what equipment they were using?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I debated posting this in the sound design forum but it seems to mostly focus on sound synthesis.

I have been listening to an old band The Monks and I was wondering if anyone knew what equipment they were using to get this particular guitar sound that you hear at the opening of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7nw46kYSs

"One of the components in this alchemy of sound was feedback. Burger discovered feedback independently of the many English players who have all been heralded at one time or another as the inventor of said effect.

"We were practicing and I had to take a leak," Burger said. "I laid the guitar against the amp and walked off the stage. I forgot to turn it off and the thing began to make this god-awful racket. It started off humming and then it increased in volume. Roger started hitting his drums and it sounded so right together."

Eddie Shaw went one step further when describing that initial bout with feedback. "Just imagine the sound of the Titanic scraping along an iceberg," he said. "It was like discovering fire."

Gary Burger quickly learned to control the feedback. Wielding a Gretsch Black Widow guitar, his lead lines were run through an audio atom-smasher that masqueraded as a Fender amplifier. A thick and distorted cacophony of black sound emerged. Burger trashed the speakers so often, however, that he had to switch to a heavy-duty Vox Super Beatle that had a custom-made 100 watt amp.

Around this time, the rhythm guitar was traded in for a six string banjo. The band wanted to sound as grating as possible and a banjo fit the bill quite nicely. Dave Day played this instrument, an oddity in rock n roll. To amplify the banjo, he stuck two microphones inside it. He chorded it like a guitar and the horse gut strings produced strange clacking sounds. Day’s frenzied attack is one of the most unique aspects of the group’s departure from conventional rock n roll music. The slashing banjo stays on the beat for the most part, but at times it introduces a counter-rhythm. The effect can be quite disconcerting. Day was also the band’s original rock n roll citizen, having been an Elvis devotee since the mid-50s."

http://www.the-monks.com/year1.htm
[Insert Signature Here]

Yeah, they were a great band and the 6 string banjo was a great addition to the sound. Bands like them and the Fugs and the 13th Floor Elevators, etc. had a huge impact on underground rock that is sometimes forgotten.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”