Beacons - ElectroProg (Seismic Glimmer)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In July I was invited to contribute a track to the Ambient Online Compilation Volume 3. I had recently returned home from the Ambient Music Conference in Helsinki, and was looking forward to the challenge. After completing the recording of Altar, I immediately began work on this piece and finished the music and initial mix/master within one day. I waited for a couple of weeks, and remixed (EQ only) and that is the track which appears on the album. The SoundCloud version here is very similar, but features my recently acquired Nugen Stereoizer3 and a cut-down variant of my regular T-Racks 3 mastering chain.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/beacons

The full album may be found here:-

https://ambientonline.bandcamp.com/albu ... n-volume-3

and represents excellent value for money featuring 59 tracks of ambient, dark ambient and experimental tracks by 40 artists, and with a running time of 519 minutes.

EDIT: 20140922 - releveled mix - remastered with no compressor/limiter, cut low-mids and slightly boosted lows and highs via EQ mods. Levels are slightly lower than my earlier upload (which was actually the third master I had produced for this track) but the Dynamic range is slightly higher.

EDIT:20140929 Re-leveled the mix again. Eliminated click from flute 'tron note-on caused by using incorrect audio driver during earlier render - remastered cutting some of the earlier bass EQ boost.

Bits and Pieces:-

Recorded and Mixed in EnergyXT2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 3

DominatorCM
RedTron_SE
RedTron
AD Replicant
AD Eos
U-he Satin
Nugen Stereoizer3
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer

DR - 9

EDIT:20220531 - Remixed in September 2021 - I made some EQ and levelling adjustments. The track was then mastered in T-Racks5 for a future album release.

EDIT: 20220601 - remixed again. Added EQuivocate to remove some HF noise from the 'tron choir patch and remastered.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/beac ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

DominatorCM
RedTron_SE
RedTron
AD Eos
AD Replicant
EQuivocate
Nugen Stereoizer3
U-he Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer

DR - 9
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Simply lovely Tim. It just washes over me like the first light of a beautiful sunny day. Uplifting! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

All right the wife finally turned off the TV. It's quiet now. Let me check out this ambient thingy. Probably gonna be boring.

Wait a minute. This is good! Subtly interesting. Interestingly subtle. I seem to be relaxing and zoning out. I am breathing s..l...o....w....l.....y.....f.....l......o.......a........t..........i............n.................g

Hey, that was excellent!

Maybe the only complaint is the sound has some mid-range graininess. Coulda been a little smoother sonically.

Allomerus wrote:Simply lovely Tim. It just washes over me like the first light of a beautiful sunny day. Uplifting! :)
Thanks for listening and commenting, John. Glad that it had the desired effect :)

I imagine you have many long sunny days to look forward to this year, whereas the days in the UK will be shortening at their fastest rate in about 2 weeks' time.

i found it wonderfully relaxing on this friday evening winding down the week.
perhaps lowering compression makeup level may reduce the graininess frantz
pointed out? i would not think a soft track like this would need to use any brickwall
limiting! :hihi: sooooooo, turning it down a bit on my end, did the trick :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Beautiful piece Tim! Restrained, gentle and completely enveloping… hits an emotionally melancholy button for me, like a frozen goodbye. Very much enjoyed, thanks for this! 8)
Image Image

oh, i forgot to mention... at first glance at the title i thought it read "bacons"
raising my expectations that it might be a sequel to your notably controversial and legendary
hot pork piece :pray:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Very relaxing, more with emotional depth.
Would be a great soundtrack cut.

Frantz wrote:All right the wife finally turned off the TV. It's quiet now. Let me check out this ambient thingy. Probably gonna be boring.

Wait a minute. This is good! Subtly interesting. Interestingly subtle. I seem to be relaxing and zoning out. I am breathing s..l...o....w....l.....y.....f.....l......o.......a........t..........i............n.................g

Hey, that was excellent!

Maybe the only complaint is the sound has some mid-range graininess. Coulda been a little smoother sonically.
I perform the same wife/TV juggling act here :wink:

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

I may take a look at that mid-range later.

layzer wrote:i found it wonderfully relaxing on this friday evening winding down the week.
perhaps lowering compression makeup level may reduce the graininess frantz
pointed out? i would not think a soft track like this would need to use any brickwall
limiting! :hihi: sooooooo, turning it down a bit on my end, did the trick :phones:
Better still, I took the compressor and limiter out of the equation completely. I managed to increase the DR of the mastered version relative to the final mix. I've been thinking about doing this with these ambient-styled pieces for a while, so I'm glad you reminded me about it. If it's ok I'd like to send you a PM with a link to a 320Mbps mp3 tomorrow.

Thanks very much for listening, commenting and the wakeup call, Dave. Es muy apreciada. Glad you liked it :)

polyslax wrote:Beautiful piece Tim! Restrained, gentle and completely enveloping… hits an emotionally melancholy button for me, like a frozen goodbye. Very much enjoyed, thanks for this! 8)
Thanks very much, Matt. Glad you liked it :)

I'll probably try some more pieces in a similar vein early next year. I have a few loose ends to tie up first :wink:

layzer wrote:....bacons....
:lol:

PM sent

PatchAdamz wrote:Very relaxing, more with emotional depth.
Would be a great soundtrack cut.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, PatchAdamz. Glad you could chill with this :)

I have just releveled the mix and remastered. This is my fifth different master of this track, and I hope it will be the last. The version on the AO compilation album was mastered by S1gnsOfL1fe so is different again. The link in the original post in this thread now points to the latest version, which features less power in the low-mids and a slight boost to the lows and highs, and no compressor or limiter. The levels are slightly lower than my earlier upload (which was actually the third master I had produced for this track) but the dynamic range is slightly higher.

......and here is layzer's recent master of Beacons, in glorious LayzerSound®

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/beac ... und-master

Return to “Music Cafe”