Roland D-50 Emulations???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

arkmabat wrote:Wait, there's d50 stuff in there? *leaves to startup sonar*
Yep, not a ton of it, but its there. 8)

arkmabat wrote:But like, they're actually endorsed by Roland...
Well, that does change things, after all, Roland has always been on the cutting edge of current sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIBlINz-94c

Examigan wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Wait, there's d50 stuff in there? *leaves to startup sonar*
Yep, not a ton of it, but its there. 8)
Yeah, I only found the two haha. Cool though. Fun little freebie with Sonar. Now if I could get DXi to work in FL Studio...

Persing and others at Roland can't remains deaf to all these requests!!! It's an injustice!!! :'(

Turello wrote:Persing and others at Roland can't remains deaf to all these requests!!! It's an injustice!!! :'(

They can if theres not enough money in it. Like I said earlier, Give Roland 10,000+ guaranteed sales and they will make it. I bet if you did a poll on for people wanting D50 vsti, it would be far less than you imagine.

Examigan wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Groove Synth in Sonar has official 909 samples! :D
I haven't checked out Groove Synth for a while, and so I looked at some of the presets. One in the Soft Lead section is called D-50 Saw. There's another called Fantasia, under the "Other Synth" category.

A few others have JP8 in the name. Some others seem to be Oberheim related, as a few have "OB" in the name, such as the "OB Str. Pad". They don't sound bad actually, maybe a little noisy, but whatever. I threw on a little reverb and delay, and it's all set.
I don't think I even bothered with Groove Synth when I re-installed X1 or X2. I don't remember ever using it, and with a name like "Groove" Synth, it sounded like it was trying a bit too hard to be "cool". :?

Are the 909 samples any better than what I can get elsewhere, or even what's in Arturia (yes, some are samples; some are emulations) or Battery?

And are the seemingly Roland-inspired presets in Groove Synth any good? Maybe I should re-consider it....

And if Roland is watching, I'd pay for a D-50 emulation (or, you know, take one for free). I heard their latest hardware synth and its plug-out. I'll take the D-50 over it any day. The D-50 is just more musical, IMO.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Groovesynth doesn't blow anything out of the water but it has lots of 808/909 variation presets as well as the full kit mapped and ready to play. Not much in the way of D50 stuff though.

Honestly even $100 would be worth it for a D50 plugin. The hardware doesn't go for less than $200 on eBay used still.

The D50 is just so darn iconic! I don't care if it has bad filters, it sounds great!

One year after the last post in this thread and I was playing with Alchemy for the past couple of hours.
All I can say is that it nails the D-50 sound perfectly. I stumbled upon the patch "Ronald Nylon Athoms"
and I was left speechless.

Kind of late to mention this but if you have a Mac...Mainstage 3 is only $29 :-D.

cocoazenith wrote:One year after the last post in this thread and I was playing with Alchemy for the past couple of hours. All I can say is that it nails the D-50 sound perfectly.
I've said before that in flipping through a lot of Alchemy presets, it very much reminds me of the D50 in character (not all sounds of course, but many of them). I guess it's because you have multi-element sounds using samples, some sample manipulation which makes the samples a bit more grungy and less hi-fi, and a bunch of effects - it really is quite D50 like in many ways.

I'm sure you can do something d-50'ish in Omnisphere. It's Persing after all :hihi:

K-Bee wrote:I'm sure you can do something d-50'ish in Omnisphere. It's Persing after all :hihi:
Yeah, but OS is in general a lot more hi-fi, slick sounding, and complex, which takes it away from D-50 territory. The samples are much more detailed - part of the charm of the D-50 is it's low quality samples and grungy quality... it's not a slick, hi-fi machine (although it certainly sounded that way back in the day it was released... :)

Very true :-) - it has a certain 80s digital charm that's hard to emulate. I still believe it would be possible to make a convincing plugin using the original samples, like Korg did with the M1.
Sadly, Roland don't really care about the fans. It's not that they would loose money. The hardware d50 is long gone.

For some of the sounds I recall, OBXD with Breeze's Meat and Potatoes preset pack actually is quite satisfying. Not even the same kind of synth but it has the vibe.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/obxd--- ... /downloads

K-Bee wrote:Very true :-) - it has a certain 80s digital charm that's hard to emulate. I still believe it would be possible to make a convincing plugin using the original samples, like Korg did with the M1.
Sadly, Roland don't really care about the fans. It's not that they would loose money. The hardware d50 is long gone.
I could see it returning as a Roland Boutique D05!

Emulations? D50?

Why not do a 2-in-1 deal, and go for a crossbreed: D50+Emulator II thingie

Return to “Instruments”