Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

So, yay. :party:
Pretty great.
A contender.
The cpu use is the only thing keeping this from being the king of the castle, imo.
ImageImageImageImage

loungepanda wrote:Tried finding some of the heavier patches to see what load is like on my 4970k (stock 4.0, turbo not on): PD Big Minor Seventh Pad [SN], 2 OSC with 10 Unison on both: 18-19% holding one note.
Not seeing quite that type of load on my mac mini. Nevertheless that patch has every effect slot enabled which would seem a little extreme :)
Screen Shot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by db3 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highkoo wrote:So, yay. :party:
Pretty great.
A contender.
The cpu use is the only thing keeping this from being the king of the castle, imo.
agreed. i demo'd it on my intel centrino 1.8ghz toshiba tablet test unit. playing a single note of the pads patch"holy place" shot the CPU usage gauge to 42% in savihost.... compared to the miniscule 5% Synth1 registers with a 2 voice unison mode pad! :scared: :scared: :scared:
Last edited by layzer on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

fceramic wrote:Unfortunately it sounds really really cold and modern
I would call it cold, clean and transparent simultaneously. In my opinion it is a wonderful. Let it be an instrument with such sound. (Because there Waldorf for other any great sides of WT).

Does anyone else notice some latency with the ring modulator filter option? If I adjust the filter mix so I can hear the input oscillator, I hear a little flamming.

So far I am enjoying this synth.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

I couldn't resist and had to buy the beast. It has been quite a while having that much fun fiddeling with a synth.

Maybe some others can help here: the portamento time is displayed as time value [ms]. It would be helpful to have this value also in bars like the LFO rate. Would that be possible?

Uses very little CPU on my MBP, but I'm not too crazy about the sound. It sounds ok, but just vanilla. I like synths that have character. All the features don't mean much if the sound doesn't stick out. I guess I'll stick with Z3ta for this type of thing, considering Dune 2.
You are currently reading my signature.

fceramic wrote:This synth is a lot of fun to program, so visual and logical. Unfortunately it sounds really really cold and modern like most spectral synths. Was kinda hoping this would be a traditional subtractive wavetable synth like PPG. I also noticed that even the filters seem to be spectral and the filter drive only adds gain - no saturation going on. For a modern wavetable synth I have to say I much prefer the sound of Waldorf Nave, though I'm sure the EDM kids will be all over this for those plastic sounds.
The ease of programming is hugely important to me and this is a very similar synth to Waldorf Nave though the wavetable editing is more flexible and powerful.

I'm curious about your use of the term "subtractive" here. Typically it means creating complex waveforms from a combination of filtering and envelope based amplitude modulation which is entirely possible. As is a more additive approach.

Of course your idea of "cold" VS "warm" is entirely subjective - but there is no reason why you have to use the in built filter and distortion modules if external filtering and saturation provides a "warmer" result. As a sound design tool I think it fits the niche I was looking to fill and i'm at least 20years away from being an EDM kiddy :wink:

buy it yesterday, alredy a track running it :D Uge killer indeed :D You cant go wrong at that price right now ;)

You can pick a different wavetable and play with the filter. IMO it doesn't sound as cold and digital as Massive.

fceramic wrote:This synth is a lot of fun to program, so visual and logical. Unfortunately it sounds really really cold and modern like most spectral synths. Was kinda hoping this would be a traditional subtractive wavetable synth like PPG. I also noticed that even the filters seem to be spectral and the filter drive only adds gain - no saturation going on. For a modern wavetable synth I have to say I much prefer the sound of Waldorf Nave, though I'm sure the EDM kids will be all over this for those plastic sounds.
My exact thoughts...very powerful wavetable synth but the sound is too clinical/cold, cpu usage is pretty bad also but its fun to program on and the ui is great along with the filters.

Oh man, I almost made a mess in my pants. 1.30 am here, room completely dark, loaded FX Ambiance Evil preset and reduced and increased the reverb size quickly while playing a note and I wondered who was suddenly breathing heavily in my room. :borg:

secretkillerofnames wrote: Of course your idea of "cold" VS "warm" is entirely subjective - but there is no reason why you have to use the in built filter and distortion modules if external filtering and saturation provides a "warmer" result. As a sound design tool I think it fits the niche I was looking to fill and i'm at least 20years away from being an EDM kiddy :wink:
Well the problem I have with spectral synthesis comes down to the lack of per voice distortion. Feeding a complex additive sound into external effects will not really make it sound less cold. I'm pretty sure that Waldorf Nave used a classic Waldorf filter design that adds a lot of "analog charm" and controls the voice levels. I would love to see Xfer add something similar to that in Serum - an analog style filter with soft clip.

I find these new kind of synths like Loom, Razor, Spectre, Parsec etc. to be really tiring to listen to solo, but they cut through a dense mix like nothing else, so I get their appeal.

DocShay wrote:
My exact thoughts...very powerful wavetable synth but the sound is too clinical/cold, cpu usage is pretty bad also but its fun to program on and the ui is great along with the filters.
You guys likeky missing some voice drift function.
There is Chaos1 & 2, Random note on 1 & 2, just have to fine tune and the clinical sound
turns to analog drift.
I tried before the 20 min runs out, i used 6 mod slot just for the drift so we could possibly
ask Steve to have a Voice Drift preset on Global page in a future update.
Would be better 2 or 3 different preset. :wink:
So we can free the matrix a bit and still have some nice drift.
He already promised to work on some Reverb drift/spin in the future.

I also think it's a joy to work with the lovely, brilliant and well thougt out UI.

Cheers, :)
Joseph

So, bought Serum.. Love it. However, I can't seem to find the Pitch Bend parameter in the browser for linking to my keyboard, only the Mod Wheel. I'm in FL 11.

Return to “Instruments”