Recabinet 4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Burillo wrote:OK, expect a hundred bucks on thursday :-D

one more question i have about the packs.

say you model some versatile head, erm, i dunno, let it be Peavey XXX for the sake of argument :-D so, the XXX has three channels. which means what, three preamps. will this count as one amp, or as a pack?
An amp counts as an amp, regardless of its versatility, number of channels, or other features.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

I think that's a bitchin' deal, Shane. Expect a hundred from me in due time, too. :P

Kazrog wrote:
Burillo wrote:so, no speaker dynamics with bypassed poweramp then?
No, but you can use the Neutral poweramp model to avoid any unwanted coloration.
Hmm. Might just be perception, but I too would be more comfortable with an Amp bypass mode.

Really looking forward to hearing where this goes. I don't really need yet another amp modeler, but on the other hand I am never content with any of the ones I have already (Amplitube, Guitar Rig). I haven't tried S-Gear yet, maybe its the bees knees, I dunno. My vox tonelab into actual tube amp always pleases me a lot more then anything on the computer has yet done so far. Maybe yours will be the new one that does, but until then I really appreciate being able to use your cabs without any other coloration of any kind.

Care to tell us a little more about this amp modeling you are doing or did you partner with someone for this aspect of recabinet4?

I am also not too interested in metal sounding stuff like your demos thus far, if you end up with models closer to classic sounds, will become more interesting to get the VIP bundle.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote:
Kazrog wrote:
Burillo wrote:so, no speaker dynamics with bypassed poweramp then?
No, but you can use the Neutral poweramp model to avoid any unwanted coloration.
Hmm. Might just be perception, but I too would be more comfortable with an Amp bypass mode.
Just to be clear, the amp modeling is bypassable, but for speaker dynamics simulation you will need the power amp section enabled.
Dewdman42 wrote:Care to tell us a little more about this amp modeling you are doing or did you partner with someone for this aspect of recabinet4?
This is the result of 3 years of R&D, and I didn't partner with anyone. The amp modeling went through many different prototypes and iterations before reaching what it is now. Every known current approach to amp modeling was studied, and what I found is that they all have significant drawbacks, so I knew that I had to approach the problem in a different way.

This is a crowded marketplace, and if I couldn't do better than what's currently out there, I would have never brought this to release (there were many times during prototyping where I felt certain I would have to scrap the project.) It had to be better. Eventually, after a lot of trial and error, self doubt, etc., I had a breakthrough that resulted in what I believe to be the best amp modeler in existence.

While I won't discuss the technical details of the modeling itself, I will talk about how it affects me as a player and as a producer:
  • Incredibly accurate, satisfying picking attack response. Many modelers can sound good in a mix, but don't feel as inspiring to play through as a real amp - this is the primary reason why.
  • More accurate, detailed low end frequency response, rather than the cloudy, persistent/compressed low end that most modelers have.
  • More accurate emulation of the interaction between the power amp and speaker, which in turn is part of the "play feel" in terms of the picking attack envelope.
  • More realistic response to changes in guitar volume knob level, so you can get some great swells and get semi-clean tones through a lead channel just like on a real amp.
  • Totally accurate tone stack modeling, with exact 1:1 ratio of knob controls to the amps modeled.
Dewdman42 wrote:I am also not too interested in metal sounding stuff like your demos thus far, if you end up with models closer to classic sounds, will become more interesting to get the VIP bundle.
The focus of the initial release is modern, high gain amplifiers for the metal guitarist. However, many amp packs will be released, including vintage and boutique amps. There will also be some new clips posted with more classic mid-gain and low-gain oriented sounds.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

Those are some compelling factors. Really looking forward to trying it when you get some of the classic amps out, I definitely will.

I assume the speaker-amp interaction you speak of is similar to the technology in the Radial JDX box I use for gigging, which allegedly simulates the push/pull of energy between the amp and speaker?

Feel is a huge issue and some of the things you mentioned are my pet peeve with the old modelers out there. My Vox Tonelab LE actually doesn't have nearly as good hi gain amp models as newer stuff that is out there, but they also addressed the issue of "feel" with their system and that is why I love it, for just the sort of stuff you mentioned, its just more inspirational to play and ultimately more expressive to play. So if you have nailed that in your software I will be very pleased indeed.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Kazrog wrote:There will also be some new clips posted with more classic mid-gain and low-gain oriented sounds.
+1

Can't wait to hear these :tu:

Can you let us know when you've posted them please?

OK, i'm now a VIP customer :-D eagerly waiting to try Thermionik! one thing i'm worried about is the EQ though. in Revalver 4, there are plenty of high gain amps, but they all sound kinda samey because their tonestacks are inflexible (i.e. non-switchable mid frequency). how does Thermionik solve this problem, other than with post-EQ?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:OK, i'm now a VIP customer :-D eagerly waiting to try Thermionik! one thing i'm worried about is the EQ though. in Revalver 4, there are plenty of high gain amps, but they all sound kinda samey because their tonestacks are inflexible (i.e. non-switchable mid frequency). how does Thermionik solve this problem, other than with post-EQ?
I've only tried their new demo for a few minutes, and didn't have time to notice that aspect.

In Thermionik, the tone stack modeling is based on accurate measurements taken from the real amps, and each amp definitely sounds unique (as you can hear from the clips on the website.)

One thing I will mention, though, is that most guitar amp tone stacks do share at least a passing similarity to a vintage Fender Bassman circuit (which Marshall copied exactly in the original JTM45 head.) The Bassman/Marshall legacy is noticeable in many amps, although there are many other factors that make amps unique.

Thanks for your pre order! 8)
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

the amps definitely sound different on the demos, and i like that. however, sometimes it might not be enough. a great example of what i'm talking about is the recent release by Ignite Amps, the Emissary amp. it has a mid knob, and a mid freq knob, allowing tone shaping not possible with conventional lo-mid-hi knobs. you mentioned additional parameters for some heads - maybe this may be one of them :-D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Kazrog wrote:There will also be some new clips posted with more classic mid-gain and low-gain oriented sounds.
Any news on these?

Paulnz wrote:
Any news on these?
After the initial release, I'll make sure to get some more clips up. Right now, the main focus is on getting everything set up for release. Thanks for your patience!
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

Kazrog wrote:
  • Incredibly accurate, satisfying picking attack response. Many modelers can sound good in a mix, but don't feel as inspiring to play through as a real amp - this is the primary reason why.
  • More accurate, detailed low end frequency response, rather than the cloudy, persistent/compressed low end that most modelers have.
  • More accurate emulation of the interaction between the power amp and speaker, which in turn is part of the "play feel" in terms of the picking attack envelope.
  • More realistic response to changes in guitar volume knob level, so you can get some great swells and get semi-clean tones through a lead channel just like on a real amp.
  • Totally accurate tone stack modeling, with exact 1:1 ratio of knob controls to the amps modeled.
Very excited to get the release and see this for myself!

Kazrog wrote: After the initial release, I'll make sure to get some more clips up. Right now, the main focus is on getting everything set up for release. Thanks for your patience!
I was hoping that the mid and low gain sounds would convince me to go with the pre-release offer :(

Can you not just pass the clean guitar recording through a low gain amp?

BTW do you have a rough idea how often you'll be releasing amps and cabs? I realise you won't have an exact timetable, but are you hoping to release, say 1 a month, or 1 every other month?

Kazrog wrote: VIP plans begin from the date of purchase.
Does this concern also the pre-release offer purchase? I think that it would be quite unfair.

Or does this 3-year Vip plan count from the Recabinet 4 release date or preferably from the first add-on amp release date?

Flatout wrote:
Kazrog wrote: VIP plans begin from the date of purchase.
Does this concern also the pre-release offer purchase? I think that it would be quite unfair.

Or does this 3-year Vip plan count from the Recabinet 4 release date or preferably from the first add-on amp release date?
Sorry for the lack of clarity. The VIP plans obviously won't actually start until the product is released.
Shane McFee
CEO/CTO - Kazrog

Return to “Effects”