Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I'm on it, just to clarify - I meant it as thanks to Andrew to give him credit and hopefully any free publicity, I had also put this logo in Nerve as well for (one of) the same filters which are pre-cytomic. Cytomic, at the time of Nerve's release, had no filter product so it was simply a means to credit to Andrew and hopefully bring some traffic to TheGlue.

Now that there is TheDrop (best filter DSP out there IMO), I see how this could be misconstrued. I'm rebuilding the demo versions and full version payloads just to correct this, they'll be up as soon as I can get them up. My intent would never be to deceive anyone, and quite the opposite, my intent was to give the DSP credit to the author, rather than take credit for something I did not code.

bitcrusher wrote:I'm on it, just to clarify - I meant it as thanks to Andrew to give him credit and hopefully any free publicity, I had also put this logo in Nerve as well for (one of) the same filters which are pre-cytomic. Cytomic, at the time of Nerve's release, had no filter product so it was simply a means to credit to Andrew and hopefully bring some traffic to TheGlue.

Now that there is TheDrop (best filter DSP out there IMO), I see how this could be misconstrued. I'm rebuilding the demo versions and full version payloads just to correct this, they'll be up as soon as I can get them up. My intent would never be to deceive anyone, and quite the opposite, my intent was to give the DSP credit to the author, rather than take credit for something I did not code.
Understandable that you want to credit Andy, TAL, and other developers, but just as general etiquette you always need to ask permission to use a company logo, even if the intent is for crediting the original designer.

BTW I love Serum, you did a great job with it Steve.

Ah, that explains a lot. I really like the filters in Synth Squad. I'll take a look at the Drop.

Serum's oscillator section is really great! Making wavetables on the fly is brilliant. Better than Zebra (but Zebra is more versatile). The CPU use of serum is much too high (especially unisono).

Understandable that you want to credit Andy, TAL, and other developers, but just as general etiquette you always need to ask permission to use a company logo, even if the intent is for crediting the original designer.
Yes, you're right. Again, I've made a mistake, it's much older filter code, while my intentions were only pure (for promotion of a friend) I have made the wrong 'brand' attribution and am removing it now. The filter DSP in Serum is not reflective of the Cytomic analog-modelled DSP in TheDrop, which is my go-to filter plugin when I'm in the studio.
BTW I love Serum, you did a great job with it Steve
thank you, I needed that right about now :) Cheers.

Loved the stream with SeamlessR. Inspired me to start sticking my own samples in.

Thanks to both.

Serum really is superb; your philosophy behind it, Steve, really comes across in the video, and your attention to the smallest details in the execution too.

Great stuff. Cheers.

Well at least we were able to clear up the filter coding. Still sounds great :)

andy-cytomic wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:
db3 wrote:Filter DSP by Cytomic :hyper:
Quick test preset... mp3
The filter DSP is not by Cytomic.
What about this then?

This is an unauthorized use of the Cytomic logo that Steve will fix quickly, there is no Cytomic code in Serum.
Sure, technically spoken it isn't Cytomic but i personally didn't expect to find the latest code from you beeing used anyway. This is really a storm in a waterglass.

Can't you contact him private as you are friends? He only tried to promote your company name. You let him look like an i***t here like he didn't know what he's doing & forcing the guy to explain himself.

Now the first "smart" members chime in to tell that he have to "fix it". That all after releasing the virtual synth of the year. :dog:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Right, this has every bit of potential to go on forever. That would in my opinion be a waste of a thread that should be about a great synth.
Seems to me all is settled and corrected now, shouldn't we just leave it?

I demoed this synth and I noticed that it can get a bit hefty on the CPU, but man it has such a smooth clean sound that it's worth it.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

bitcrusher wrote:I'm on it, just to clarify - I meant it as thanks to Andrew to give him credit and hopefully any free publicity, I had also put this logo in Nerve as well for (one of) the same filters which are pre-cytomic. Cytomic, at the time of Nerve's release, had no filter product so it was simply a means to credit to Andrew and hopefully bring some traffic to TheGlue.

Thanks for clearing that up so quickly Steve! It is just really about managing customer expectations, and I don't want people to expect the filters from The Drop to be in Serum since this would only cause problems for both of us. I am still very proud of the tone of these filters for their low cpu use, and it is great knowing they live on and will hopefully I will hear them soon on some amazing tracks that I know people will write with Serum.
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Tried the demo yesterday and it's really a great synth. It's perfect for soundtrack work:)

valerian_777 wrote: Sure, technically spoken it isn't Cytomic but i personally didn't expect to find the latest code from you beeing used anyway. This is really a storm in a waterglass.

Can't you contact him private as you are friends? He only tried to promote your company name. You let him look like an i***t here like he didn't know what he's doing & forcing the guy to explain himself.

Now the first "smart" members chime in to tell that he have to "fix it". That all after releasing the virtual synth of the year. :dog:
Steve is a very smart guy, so I doubt anything I post could make him look like an idiot, but if you feel that my posts were trying to do this then please accept my apologies, this was in no way my intention.

It is a great problem to have, I am flattered that people are interested in the Cytomic brand. I did email Steve as quickly as I found out about it, there were multiple posts on this topic and screenshots "proving" things and no clarification from Steve so I didn't know if he would even still be awake in the USA at 1am.

People were confused with the Cytomic logo in the about box next to "filter dsp", it really sent the wrong message to customers, and this isn't fair for anyone. This is Vellocet dsp code, not Cytomic, and Steve has already fixed this at his end, so we are back on track, and the filters sound exactly as good as they always have :tu:
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

I think Massive, my favorite synth of all time, just got replaced. I think this might actually replace Massive, Dune 2 and Alchemy (for me).

An amazing synth, and the UI layout is beautifully functional and logical (unlike, say, Massive).
Last edited by Liero on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

gone
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Quality Filters. Xfer did not just copy 0dfFilters but implement their own character Filters. Wonderful.

The only thing I dislike is the time presets load up.
Induljon a banzáj!

Return to “Instruments”