Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

zvenx wrote:
colinssx wrote:It's not as CPU friendly as Sylenth, .......................but Sylenth is pretty unique in that respect. ..........
that was my point, wasn't disputing that this sounds great etc, but I disagreed with what I interpret him as saying as it has roughly the same sound to cpu ratio as sylenth. Some of the patches are cpu hogs on my relatively new machine and I do have a few synths (Diva, Zebra2, Omnisphere, impOscar 2..... and something soon to be released) that I prefer the sound. Of course sound quality is a personal preference, but I to do think Sylenth is unique in that respect.

colinssx wrote:.......Serum's got a seriously great balance of sound/performance/flexibility behind it, it does a lot more sonically than Sylenth does while still being more CPU friendly than Massive. I think it's got a strong chance of becoming an EDM mainstay
that I agree is very possible.
rsp
I'm sure AVCII and many other "EDM" artists will be one of the first to, ahem, "acquire" it.

But Serum is fantastic. Very unique in a "same old same old" synth landscape.

Just bought! Can't wait to get into it. I've just recently gotten into wavetables synths of the past in a big way, so I'm looking forward to realizing all my digital padular dreams!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

HydrogenHuman wrote:.............

I'm sure AVCII and many other "EDM" artists will be one of the first to, ahem, "acquire" it.

that would be truly sad if they 'acquired' it.....
at $129 currently there is no excuse whatsoever.

I have never bought an Xfer product, I can already tell that Steve is right up there with support, but how much of a reputation does Xfer have of adding features to products after release?

thanks
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Stream a few hours ago with Seamless and Steve (will update with YT link once uploaded) for anyone interested. Nice little titbits were discussed re Serum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghEESNXBFc
Last edited by GeorgeZ on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eternitysound VST Banks

He has a great rep as far as adding features. I no longer own Nerve, but when I did he kept adding stuff to the betas constantly, Im sure its a beast at this point

LFOtool originally didnt have all the filters that it does now(which are the same modes that are in serum) all of those got added post release along with alot more functionality

cthulhu he added alot more midi functionality and more drag n drop and import options

If you watch the forums he always posts the betas up on there with release notes and will listen to peoples requests, thats generally where alot of the new features come from. So not only does he had some of his own ideas he actually listens to his customers and add what they want whenever possible

ezelkow1 wrote:He has a great rep as far as adding features. I no longer own Nerve, but when I did he kept adding stuff to the betas constantly, Im sure its a beast at this point

LFOtool originally didnt have all the filters that it does now(which are the same modes that are in serum) all of those got added post release along with alot more functionality

cthulhu he added alot more midi functionality and more drag n drop and import options

If you watch the forums he always posts the betas up on there with release notes and will listen to peoples requests, thats generally where alot of the new features come from. So not only does he had some of his own ideas he actually listens to his customers and add what they want whenever possible
Exactly what I wanted to hear.
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Aiynzahev wrote:Just bought! Can't wait to get into it. I've just recently gotten into wavetables synths of the past in a big way, so I'm looking forward to realizing all my digital padular dreams!
Ok, here is what you have to do: buy food, get into your room (with the food), lock all doors and come out when your soundbank is done. Don't come out before!!! :party:

Tried demo, really must have. Unison is amazing. The main disadvantage at the moment this is cpu devouring (for example when both osc ON and select any warp method and set Release to max). I hope it will be slightly optimized in future.
But if to choose between sound quality and load - let remain as it is :cry: :lol: .

Edit
(Also from possible wishes - add the algorithmic VA section with basic waves (like the same sub-osc section), this would be increased palette even more. But it is not critical of course.)

db3 wrote:Filter DSP by Cytomic :hyper:
Quick test preset... mp3
The filter DSP is not by Cytomic.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote:
Quick test preset... mp3
What about this then?

:borg:

Damn...I thought I could go a month without buying yet another nice new synth...

I can also vouch for Steve's first class support - I only ever needed it once and he replied instantaneously. :tu:

db3 wrote:
Hez wrote:Also @db3, what do you mean? You ran Serum through Cytomic's The Drop or that Cytomic had a hand in developing the filter DSP code for Serum?
The credits list who had a hand in Serum dev....and yep Andy did the filter DSP :)
Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 13.08.25.png
Cytomic did not do the DSP code for anything in Serum. I have asked Steve to remove the Cytomic logo from his product. I am amazed he used it without my checking first, but he is a good friend and we can sort this out quickly and easily.

Around 15 years ago I did write some filter code for my original plugin freeware outfit called Vellocet: http://www.vellocet.com/index_temp.html , and it is this code I sold to Steve for use in LFOtool. These same LFOtool filters are in Serum, plus some extra ones that Steve did himself, so if you are are getting excited about the filters then check out LFOtool as well!

About 10 years ago I moved to London and wrote SynthSquad for FXpansion, and about 5 years ago I formed Cytomic. So there is no Cytomic code in Serum, so having the Cytomic log in Serum is not appropriate, and I'm sure Steve can swap it over to the Vellocet logo quickly to avoid further confusion.

V0RT3X wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:
Quick test preset... mp3
What about this then?

This is an unauthorized use of the Cytomic logo that Steve will fix quickly, there is no Cytomic code in Serum.

Here is Steve himself talking about it:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5258523

Last edited by samsam on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”