Xfer Records SERUM vs. U-he Zebra2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Codex Wavetable Synth Serum Zebra

Steve Duda's company, Xfer Records, recently announced a wavetable synth called Serum. Although the release date is tomorrow, the press release has a lot of info and screenshots.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/xfer-recor ... -aax-27366

I'm an owner of Zebra2. I wonder what other owners of Zebra2 think of this new release. Can it do all of the things that Zebra can? What can't it do that Zebra can? Lots of talk about "anti-aliasing" in there - does Zebra hold up?

I know that there are a lot more "intelligent" people than me out there, so I'm curious to hear your opinions..

Since a trial version is not available yet, it's a little hard to tell.
However, according to the description, it seems to have a lot of potential.
The wavetable system will certainly be much more advanced than Zebra's but Zebra is still one of kind IMO.
One the other hand, it will surely retire Massive for quite a few people.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

I have Z2 and due to Maschine i also have Massive. There are already some redundancies in this combo.

I ponder wether there is anything that Serum has to offer, which i dont already have. I dont mean fancy sounding features, but actually sound that you can hear in a full mix. I guess not.

Would be 130 wasted bucks, which i can spend somewhere else and more useful to me.

I watched Seemless's video and it can do tons of shit that Zebra can't.

For example import whole audio files to make into wavetables, bending options, etc. The wavetable function of zebra is ridiculously limited in comparison.

Tons of Noise types and you can even import your own.

You can't really compare them. They do completely different things. The wavetable part of Zebra is just a small part of the synth, whereas for Serum it's the main part.

Also I can think of a million things that Zebra can do that it can't, obviously.

I think you shouldn't post this here, it's the u-he forum. If you want a vs. topic post it in "Instruments".

edit : Just to be clear, this was originally posted in the u-he forum.
Last edited by xx JPRacer xx on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it hasn't a fully scalable GUI, I won't buy it.

:oops:

xx JPRacer xx wrote:I think you shouldn't post this here, it's the u-he forum. If you want a vs. topic post it in "Instruments".
+1 - moved it to Instruments :)

Zebra2 is a wonderful instrument from a great company from Germany. Big Like ;)
You can import audio into Zebra 2
It's more difficult but you can. You need a waveform transformer program like WaveToZebra ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

fourthmanfire wrote:Steve Duda's company, Xfer Records, recently announced a wavetable synth called Serum. Although the release date is tomorrow, the press release has a lot of info and screenshots.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/xfer-recor ... -aax-27366

I'm an owner of Zebra2. I wonder what other owners of Zebra2 think of this new release. Can it do all of the things that Zebra can? What can't it do that Zebra can? Lots of talk about "anti-aliasing" in there - does Zebra hold up?

I know that there are a lot more "intelligent" people than me out there, so I'm curious to hear your opinions..
Not really comparable are they? Serum would surely compliment Zebra, and vice versa. Zebra is a Monster and from what I've seen, Serum is too.

Looks like it's going to dent Massive tho'. :D
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Zebra 3 will probably kill them all. :D

EvilDragon wrote:Zebra 3 will probably kill them all. :D
That will be a monster! :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Seems to have a ton of potential. Will definitely give it a try. The GUI makes me feel funny in my pants. What can I say? I'm a sucker for wavetables!

-Sam

EvilDragon wrote:Zebra 3 will probably kill them all. :D
Zebra 3 is still in planning stage. I dare say Alchemy 2 (another contender) will come out before Zebra 3.

However, if Zebra 2 had an easy way to import wavetable sounds, I'd stick with it.

First order of business with Serum: can it do a convincing piano sound?

I have not demoed Serum, but overall Zebra should be a more versatile synth. It's modular, it got better FM, physical modeling (comb filtering) and other nice perks like full UI resize. It's wavetable engine is similar (with less frames to work with though) and you all get nice spectral effects.

Serum seems more direct to work with and I really like how everything is visual. Right now I just can't wait to demo it. If it can do nice VA-type sounds then I think this will become my main synth if the CPU usage is reasonable.

Karten wrote:Since a trial version is not available yet, it's a little hard to tell.
Demo is out now.

Return to “Instruments”