Roland SH-2 Plug-Out (and in)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:I imagine Roland will do it "right" because they have access to the original schematics of the hardware systems they are emulating in software. Not only that but there R&D look like they have know their stuff.
Having access to schematics doesn't correlate to amazing dsp skills. A lot of sh*t can go south after receiving documents. Many would argue that Fabrice Gabriel did a better job on the buss compressor plugin than SSL did. I'm not saying that Roland's going to mess it up, but I wouldn't really consider that a huge advantage. It depends on what kind of people Roland hired to do it.

-Sam

hmm... is this even polyphonic?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

masterhiggins wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I imagine Roland will do it "right" because they have access to the original schematics of the hardware systems they are emulating in software. Not only that but there R&D look like they have know their stuff.
Having access to schematics doesn't correlate to amazing dsp skills. A lot of sh*t can go south after receiving documents. Many would argue that Fabrice Gabriel did a better job on the buss compressor plugin than SSL did. I'm not saying that Roland's going to mess it up, but I wouldn't really consider that a huge advantage. It depends on what kind of people Roland hired to do it.

-Sam
exactly... furthermore, as good as their SH-101 plugout is, TAL bassline101 pisses on it with a smile on its face...
Korg, for exemple, did the IMS20 pretty well considering the processing power at the time plus what beast they had to emulate, but i've heard better virtual Polysix than the official Korg one...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Aiynzahev wrote:hmm... is this even polyphonic?
no
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

I was hoping the Sh-1 or 2 would be added as a module to DIVA one day. I feel Roland have face planted a bit with not also doing a poly version of it. Many will buy it though as it's from Roland and they have stuck to the original design which many will prefair.

DIVA is great at emulations of mono synths and also doing poly versions of them but no Roland SH emulation.

D16 did an emulation of the SH-101 called Lush but they added polyphony and lots more features.

TAL did an accurate emulation of the SH-101 with 6 voices and priced it extremely low.
Last edited by Kaboom75 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Chopper wrote:right... one of my favourite synth ever... the original hardware has bass-heavy OSCs and my favourite PWM ever.... don't f**k it up, Roland... we are watching you...
It's a beauty. Love mine too.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Kaboom75 wrote:TAL did an accurate emulation of the SH-101 with no extras and priced it extremely low.
Well bassline 101 is polyphonic and has a pretty decent sequencer onboard.

Don't forget Strobe. Not an exact emulation, but it can get crazy close to an sh101. Himalaya did some comparisons with the hardware and most people thought the software sounded better. Lol.

-Sam

masterhiggins wrote:
Kaboom75 wrote:TAL did an accurate emulation of the SH-101 with no extras and priced it extremely low.
Well bassline 101 is polyphonic and has a pretty decent sequencer onboard.

Don't forget Strobe. Not an exact emulation, but it can get crazy close to an sh101. Himalaya did some comparisons with the hardware and most people thought the software sounded better. Lol.

-Sam
And let's not forget the FM mod. And the little tweaks as selectable noise and (de)click.

awesome, i love the skin but it is a bit pricey

A saw/square -> filter -> amp monosynth!! I was just looking for one of those! :hihi:

(I keed, I keed!)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Notice how the focus shifts at 1:09 to the synths in the background...little hint me thinks :)

Return to “Instruments”