Almost square room with a window - where do I put my speakers?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah I know this has kinda been asked a million times, and I have done some googling, but every room is different and there are other real life considerations necessary...

I have a room that's relatively small and nearly square (3.35 x 3.68 m, or 12.3 sqm; that's around 11' x 12' and 120 square feet for those who don't do SI). Along the long side are 2 windows that take up a significant amount of the wall.

Conventional wisdom says that the speakers should face down the longest wall, i.e. down the 3.68 m. I'm wondering whether this really makes a difference for an almost square room. I wonder whether I want to avoid having the windows on one side of the speakers' stereo field (the windows are nearly centred, with 84 cm on the right and 90 cm on the left (about 3')). The windows have no curtain (blinds) and I assume it will reflect sound very differently from the other side of the room, where there's a wall. Would it make more sense to have the speakers facing towards the windows in this situation, despite that wall being shorter (putting the desk against the windows would suck, as the windows couldn't be opened)? Is it unlikely to matter either way?

I also have neighbours on the right (the bedroom on the left is part of our apartment). If I have the speakers facing down the length of the room, isn't this more likely to annoy the neighbours? At night I'm obviously going to use headphones, but during the day I wouldn't want to.

Personally I want to put the speakers on the wall next to the door, but seeing as this will involve moving lots of stuff, I'd like your opinions before wasting several hours lugging stuff around.

So where should I put the speakers and why?

Best location is to put the speakers center bedroom place imho. ( because of the neighbours ) Else neighbours wall, centered.

In this place the freqs reflections will have the less perturbations. I'd really suggest putting curtains on the window.

Putting monitors just before, or in front of the window will have the worst results, ie in the axis of the monitors. Because reflections and energy of the reflected signals will be max, and straight to your head.

Giving the neighbours wall a minimal audio treatment seems a good idea, if possible.

Hope it helps.

Ltz
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Are we talking stereo speakers or studio monitors?

If the latter, then IMHO, placement is critical to a rule rather than where in the room.

That rule being an equilateral triangle to the listeners ears.

Take a look at these images to get an idea. Perhaps follow the links to get the authors view as to why this is critical:
https://www.google.com/search?q=studio+ ... d=0CCsQsAQ

If your interest is stereo speaker placement take a look at this site for good information:
http://www.aperionaudio.com/blog/2-chan ... -placement

As Lotuzia suggests - keep your speakers away from reflective sources (such as windows) to avoid unwanted reverberation. Sound dampening (like window curtains) aids in keeping reflections down too.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanks for the replies.
Lotuzia wrote:I'd really suggest putting curtains on the window.
Thought as much, let's see if I can get my act together...
Lotuzia wrote: Giving the neighbours wall a minimal audio treatment seems a good idea, if possible.
Anything in particular? An absorber? I'm not that clued up on treatment apart from the "mirror" trick and that bass traps go in the corner... If you have any suggestions, they'd be very welcome.
dsan@mail.com wrote:Are we talking stereo speakers or studio monitors?
At the moment I don't actually have any speakers, the plan is to get some proper monitors without breaking the bank.
dsan@mail.com wrote:That rule being an equilateral triangle to the listeners ears.
I was aware of this aspect from googling and whatching the Rode YouTube videos where they go an help improve someone's bedroom studio. That's also where I learnt about the mirror trick etc. mentioned above. I will defintely be paying attention to the placement, including height.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”