Hardware synths - something out of the ordinary?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not exactly a hardware synth, but since you're looking for something out of the ordinary you could also consider the Symbolic Sound Pacarana.

ew wrote:Since you say you'd rather not deal with a keyboard, I'd suggest an Xpander. Half the polyphony of a Matrix-12, but you have CV/gate inputs for each voice, as well as individual audio outs (the individual out option on the Matrix-12 is rare and expensive).

ew
Indeed. But it seems that the Xpander is even harder to find than the Matrix-12 :( and comparatively more expensive too.
Fernando (FMR)

maschinelf wrote:Not exactly a hardware synth, but since you're looking for something out of the ordinary you could also consider the Symbolic Sound Pacarana.
The thought has crossed my mind.

Totally different but I'd also quite like a Korg Kronos - particularly for the physical modelling, not many hardware synths offer that (I would love a polyphonic version of my VL - but with better editing).

Actually maybe I should look out for a used Z1?

aMUSEd wrote: Actually maybe I should look out for a used Z1?
A good option (an unfairly underrated synth, IMO)... but I thought you were thinking more about analogue.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: Actually maybe I should look out for a used Z1?
A good option (an unfairly underrated synth, IMO)... but I thought you were thinking more about analogue.
I'm thinking about expanding my palette - things I don't have include analog (but as I said I don't just want simple stuff like a sub phatty or something), but polyphonic physical modelling with a decent hardware interface would be interesting too. I rarely use my VL70 these days because it's just such a pain to setup and there are no software editors that run on modern OSes. Something like an FS1R (or better) would also be interesting, especially something with a better interface, and a Microwave XT also sounds cool. Other things I have thought of include a PolyEvolver (module not keyboard) and that nice looking (but hugely expensive) Modulus 02.

A good question to ask yourself:

Are you looking more for a "mind" synth i.e. lots of deep programming but also menu diving, or a visceral performance oriented synth experience with with 1 knob per function (or close to it)?

Or you don't care, and just want to create new sounds you don't have access to now?
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:A good question to ask yourself:

Are you looking more for a "mind" synth i.e. lots of deep programming but also menu diving, or a visceral performance oriented synth experience with with 1 knob per function (or close to it)?

Or you don't care, and just want to create new sounds you don't have access to now?
I hate menu diving and do like to have a tactile interface, one thing I love about my VSynth, but that doesn't mean I want something simplistic either.

Forgot about this one:

http://alesis.com/fusion6hd

aMUSEd wrote:
maschinelf wrote:Not exactly a hardware synth, but since you're looking for something out of the ordinary you could also consider the Symbolic Sound Pacarana.
The thought has crossed my mind.

Totally different but I'd also quite like a Korg Kronos - particularly for the physical modelling, not many hardware synths offer that (I would love a polyphonic version of my VL - but with better editing).

Actually maybe I should look out for a used Z1?

aMUSed, go to what you know!! SCOPE XITE-1 will be more multi-dimensional in terms of functionality than any other hardware synth-only-paradigm. You already know the SCOPE system so there isn't really a learning curve at all. You speak of physical-modeling but you already heard SCOPE's physical-modeling and know its damn good, so I don't even have to sell that to you!

Don't know if you've heard the latest Modular 4, it has a different algorithm to previouse versions but all versions sound unique and great, and combined with all other versions Modular has no equal when looking at the combination of sound quality, diverse sounding/range, functionality, workflow, REALtime, depth, 3rd party modules, etc. SCOPE has 3rd party plugin developers unlike most other hardware solutions such as dNa, GOST, etc that make a variety of high quality effects wich is rare in most other hardware synth paradigms, where effects often don't sound that good.The number of pre-built Modular Modules/patches, Effects, synths, meters, Mixers, sequencers/arps (Like the highly flexible Mattomatt), recorders, samplers, midi modules, processors, etc is unrivaled amongs any other dsp based solution. Unlike other hardware solutions SCOPE has better DAW integration and allows you to stay lazy and In-The-Box 8) . SCOPE is the most complete REALtime and dsp based platform due to its complete set of tools and integration capabilities. I know I'm 'Preaching to the choir' so i'll stop there :oops: . Heck, I don't even have to leave a link cause you already know where home is :) .

EDITED
Last edited by sounddesigner on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

Get a Korg Wavedrum Global Edition and bang on it! I did and I don't regret it a bit.

cryophonik wrote:+1 to the Prophet 12

DSI Poly Evolver is another excellent synth for not so ordinary sounds.
+1 for Poly Evolver. Always wanted to get one...

Another leftfield option is to invest in good quality effects (like Eventide) and some effect pedals. This can be as much fun as a new synth, and with pedals especially, the experience is very tactile.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

It can be difficult to obtain but another synth that is out of the ordinary, imho, is the Ensoniq FIZMO.

I also second the suggestions of the Kawai K5000, the Waldorf Microwave XT, the Oberheim Xpander, or the DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard. Finally the FS1R is a remarkable synth if you can live with software editing.
Last edited by eXode on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

EDIT: Double post

i was thinking about mentioning the korg Z1 as well... very underated indeed... a huge amount of possibilities and synthesis types here...

a yamaha SY77 if you want to go down the fm road .

and check out the Alesis Andromeda. the best thing Alesis ever made, amazing analogue polysynth. a real beast.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Yeah, the Andromeda is beast ... deep programming and modulation. I love the filter feedback section, it's great for ripping leads.

Some things to watch out for:

1) FM programming is hard to use for accurate FM synthesis so don't consider it a "feature"

2) Voice cards are no longer available, so repairs could be expensive or impossible over the long term

3) Get some kind of confirmation that all the voice cards are fully functional and tuning properly

Mine works great, but occasionally one of the voice cards or filters will fail to calibrate if the room temperature is high. So it's a little temperamental, but otherwise yes a fantastic synth.

Would complement the Virus well.

The Microwave XT suggestion is a good one too, some menu diving but also very hands on. For this kind of money you could easily afford the 30 voice version, which is what you want.
... space is the place ...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”