Emulator X3 vs the hardware. Similar enough? Run on Windows 8?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

szurcio wrote:Well apparently the corporate headquarters of Creative used to be in Singapore. And they had an office in Kuala Lumpur:
Malaysia
Creative Labs Sdn Bhd
Megan Phileo Promenade
Jalan Tun Razak
50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60-3-264 7199 Fax: +60-3-264 7198

So maybe? (I found a pdf report from 1999)
Yep, that is correct. One must not forget that Creative is not an US company like EMU was.
No signature here!

Ah, ok - I thought it was the same company.

szurcio wrote:Well apparently the corporate headquarters of Creative used to be in Singapore. And they had an office in Kuala Lumpur:
Malaysia
Creative Labs Sdn Bhd
Megan Phileo Promenade
Jalan Tun Razak
50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +60-3-264 7199 Fax: +60-3-264 7198

So maybe? (I found a pdf report from 1999)
maybe indeed, i standeth corrected.... :)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Numanoid wrote:Vintage Pro X Vol 1 and 2, looks interesting at just $13 each:

11 Banks, 306 Presets:
ARP 2600, Mini Moog, ARP Axxe, Moog Taurus Pedals, Roland JD800, Sequential Prophet 10, Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 600, Roland JX8P, Percs and Noise, Memory Moog

9 Banks, 277 Presets:
Elka Rhapsody String Ensemble, E-mu Modular Synthesizer, Roland Juno 60 Synthesizer, Mellotron, Millennium Collection, Korg MS-20 FX & Percussion, Solina String Ensemble, Oberheim OB-Xa Synthesizer, Roland TB303 Bass Line Synthesizer

But I guess they wont run in Proteus VX?

Anybody tried to run them in Kontakt?
They run just fine in ProteusVX. All the EMU Sound Central libraries run in Emulator X3 and Proteus VX. With the latter one you just can't do any deep editing. The only exception is Rob Pappen's Beat Garden that was never released without the Macrovision protection.

But I'm not sure if they are worth it. They certainly are good additions for Emulator X3 users for getting analogue sounds. Out of the box most of the stuff there is not that useful though, and there are not that many sounds there anyway. So if you want to get a full E-MU soundset, then they are a must, otherwise I'd say pass.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:Actually prior to Emulator X3 EMU used the horrible Macrovision DRM that tried to screw with DVD-RW drives.
dang my senility, that's the one. SecuROM was that Sony bastid.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I picked up Emulator X3 and the Modern Symphonic Orchestra library from digitalproaudiosamples a few months ago. I too had read they were legit, but didn't have any really hard proof. I had read they were a former Emu distributor. Anyway, I didn't have any trouble with installation and am running in Win 7 64bit. Not sure on Win 8 though.

I love the filters too. They are really unique sounding and can give good results with the right tuning. Overall, Emu X really is a pain to program compared to most modern VST's though.

Dan

robotmonkey wrote:Yep, that is correct. One must not forget that Creative is not an US company like EMU was.
Singapore is the place according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Technology

EMU and Ensoniq are subsidiaries

Nice TwistaLoop feature demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utMz0UxkDNg

Emulator X3 is great. The Sound is what counts!

I remember from when I had emulator x one that you could not do real time time stretch .

Has that changed? It is pretty tempting at the new price,
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

Does anyone know if this downloadable version comes with Translator? I would like to be able to load my AKAI samples.

szurcio wrote:Does anyone know if this downloadable version comes with Translator? I would like to be able to load my AKAI samples.
Yes, Translator is part of the Emulator X3 install anyway. You can uncheck it during setup.
No signature here!

Was X3 actually released as VSTi?

I might consider getting a copy at some point. Having my XL-1 in software form might be a nice addition to my workflow. Always hated programming that thing at the hardware. But it's one of the synths I'd never give away. Only wish my Kurzweil would be in software form as well. But that will (sadly) probably never happen.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Was X3 actually released as VSTi?
Yes, and there's XL-1 library also. X3 lacks the "beats" mode and arps that are on the hardware but otherwise it's quite close. X3 is a good way to get all the EMU module sounds. I have all the libraries and that includes most modules including all the Proteus modules, Orbits, Mo'Phatt, PX7, and XL1.
No signature here!

Some time ago, I've instaled the FREE Proteus VX in a Windows XP SP OS, saved the dll and other files (with various exactly right locations) and now can use it also in Windows 8... ;-)

I have this running in Win 8.1 64-bit with no apparent issues.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Return to “Instruments”