Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

colinssx wrote:Completely pumped for this synth :love: The noise osc is sample-based, right? Does that mean we can import our own noise sources?
:tu: Yes, you can put your own .wav files in the Noises folder (e.g. make your own subfolder in /Noises) and they will show up in the list. Mono and Stereo are supported. However it isn't entirely an 'intended' operation, if that makes any sense (it's not quite hacking, as the ability is hiding in plain sight). This is mostly because e.g. you can't share presets without also sharing the noise file, the noises would have to be at the same relative location in the other user's /Noises folder. You do get prompted with a noise missing message and expected file location if that were to occur.

bitcrusher wrote::tu: Yes, you can put your own .wav files in the Noises folder (e.g. make your own subfolder in /Noises) and they will show up in the list. Mono and Stereo are supported. However it isn't entirely an 'intended' operation, if that makes any sense (it's not quite hacking, as the ability is hiding in plain sight). This is mostly because e.g. you can't share presets without also sharing the noise file, the noises would have to be at the same relative location in the other user's /Noises folder. You do get prompted with a noise missing message and expected file location if that were to occur.
Excellent, one-shot noise samples + those modulation options could make this an excellent synth for drum sample design :)

I think I saw a folder of sounds for exactly that purpose in Seamless' video
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true

BTW, Mr Duda will be a guest on Seamless' live Twitch stream on 20 September 16:30 EDT. Should be a nice Q&A, so drop by ;) Serum discussion and all other manner of production titbits:

https://www.Twitch.tv/SeamlessR
Eternitysound VST Banks

bitcrusher wrote:I wasn't out to clone or compete with Massive or any other synth, not at all

...looks like you didn't. As I watched the Seamless video I thought quite a lot, that I wished this or that could be done in Massive. So I guess, you surpassed it in a number of ways. :)

When you'll be a guest on Seamless' live stream, could you show a bit more of these parallel filter & morphing filter modes? Also, the syncing modes of the oscillators (can they be hard-synced)? And will it be possible to save patches with the demo version?

Thanks!

When you'll be a guest on Seamless' live stream, could you show a bit more of these parallel filter & morphing filter modes?
Sure thing, we're going to be over Skype but I'll try to do some describing of those at the very least!
Also, the syncing modes of the oscillators (can they be hard-synced)?
Not if you mean syncing from one Osc to another. that's something I've considered for an update in fact, it's on my whiteboard. There is an un-windowed sync mode which is very edgy, if it's simply the raw/cutting tonality you're looking for.
And will it be possible to save patches with the demo version?
No, nothing will save. Personally speaking, I much prefer that to hissy noises which always leave me a little uneasy (anticipating the next one).

It's really much deeper than I originally thought, and I already had high expectations!
If it's indeed somewhere along the lines of Massive in terms of CPU usage and I click with the interface (I wouldn't see why not :) ) this will be instantly bought.
So... How many hours from now? ;)

...thanks for answering the questions. Yes, I meant syncing from one to another and it's cool that you already considered that feature for the future. (Hope a vocoder function is also on that list)...
And will it be possible to save patches with the demo version?
No, nothing will save. Personally speaking, I much prefer that to hissy noises which always leave me a little uneasy (anticipating the next one).
...totally understand that, but maybe for the people who are extensively testing a synth before buying you'd consider a saving-but-disable-loading option for the demo version... :)

I guess this is going to be released minutes after the Scots vote yes to independence and the pound takes a nosedive against the dollar!

I just realized that Serum is almost identical to a synth I was designing. The sound generation portion (although laid out differently) is the same (2 wavescanning OSCs, a noise/oneshot generator, and a suboscillator). I was going to generate additional overtone harmonics using additive-like partials but you've done much the same thing using FM (and its probably simpler to code/use).

There's two noticeable differences (a couple of important features missing in the noise osc) but I'm really surprised at the similarity since I thought the combination was unique.

Kudos. There may not be much of a point in me building my own now.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

This is just phenomenal! And for an intro price of 130 dollars? Who is NOT gonna buy it?

I am thinking about what I can do using the organic samples in Omnisphere as sources for wavetables or even sampling the 2 or 3 snares that make up a piano note and then doing that for a whole octave (2 x 12 or 3 x 12 samples) and then having multiple instance of serum and layer them with the layer tool in FL studio.

I am not a sound designer and never had a big interest in designing my own sounds but this looks like so much intuitive fun (especially with all the visualizing in the GUI). Who can say no to just playing with it for fun ....

I also see you it's using overview designs I can see in other VST's . Like the Matrix page ... that's exactly how Omnisphere does it as well. It gives a very nice overview of all the modulations and automation. Or maybe there was a VST before Omnisphere that did it that way ... I don't know.

bitcrusher wrote:
It's my birthday today (37, damn, 40 is approaching), can I have a free copy! 8) :party:
Happy birthday! Now if it were your 40th... I might have to say yes :ud:
What about for 50th birthdays? Hate to admit it, but mine will be next Friday . . . . . :party:

bitcrusher wrote:
My hat goes off to you Mr Duda! This thing is absolutely amazing and is indefinitely on my MUST purchase list.
Thanks very much! :party:
Why just 2 oscillators and not 3 or 4 + the Sub ?
Well, technically it is 4 oscillators (A,B,Noise,Sub) You could even load single-cycle wavs to the Noise Oscillator if you desired (this isn't really intended operation of course, but does work).

I think it just comes down to personal use preferences. For me, 2 'complex oscillators'+sub+noise is the perfect amount for what I deem a sound. If I'm looking for a layer, I layer with another synth/instance where you get all of the usual host goodies (separate EQ/FX Chains/Send amounts/etc). As for the future, it's not impossible. It's not a "v1.5" feature though, more a "v2" feature.
Oh also does serum basically have all the same filters as LFOTool?
Yes, with some improvements to algorithms in spots, and some new filter types in addition!

Warm Regards,
Steve
I also wouldn't mind a 4 osc architecture ala Circle, but I won't complain too loudly as it looks like you have a killer little wavetable synth here that comes at a time when I'm really into wavetable synths. :tu: So far from the demo tracks the filters do sound very nice.

One thing I'd request (if it's not currently possible) is a sample osc (multi cycle wave). That always adds a lot in an instrument like this.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Congratulations on what promises to be a masterpiece of a synth. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Is a manual available for browsing yet?
If you like 80s retro sounds, check out my latest tune…

This is synth is going to be immense. It's finally the wave-table synth I've been waiting for too. Amazing.

I think it's going to be able do some of those classic atonal pads from the old digital synths. And way more. Pads Pads Pads!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

xybre wrote:I just realized that Serum is almost identical to a synth I was designing. The sound generation portion (although laid out differently) is the same (2 wavescanning OSCs, a noise/oneshot generator, and a suboscillator). I was going to generate additional overtone harmonics using additive-like partials but you've done much the same thing using FM (and its probably simpler to code/use).

There's two noticeable differences (a couple of important features missing in the noise osc) but I'm really surprised at the similarity since I thought the combination was unique.

Kudos. There may not be much of a point in me building my own now.
I dunno, always room for more IMO maybe try to shift the direction a little? I'd like to see a GUI or layout if you have one. Start a different thread and show us maybe?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Instruments”