How does Lemur (iOS) relate to keeping your DAW PC wi-fi free?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious. When building and/or configuring a PC for audio work one of the first things you read about is disabling your wifi or not even adding a card to your system yet Lemur needs wifi.

So is this advice outdated due to better drivers/performance in general or so or is it a trade-off in performance?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I don't know how Lemur works, but you probably don't need wifi on your computer, just an ethernet connection to your router. Lemur will then communicate with your computer through the router's wifi.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

I thought Lemur also worked with midi? So wouldn't something like iConnectMidi solve this issue?

EDIT: just checked on the Liine website, yes, iConnect Midi will work. As will any other midi interface with the Apple Camera connector.

Wasn't Lemur intended for OSC and not MIDI?

i use it with an Ad-hock wifi network. No internet over wifi. Didn`t have any trouble yet.

I realise you can connect your iPad with a cable but imho the whole idea of Lemur is being able to use it wirelessly.
In my case I would want to use it to arm/record tracks when recording audio in another (acoustic friendly) room.

But it's simple curiousity. On one hand every 'how-to' guide will tell you to disable your wifi-adapter on your DAW PC and on the other hand there's this whole new market rising with DAW remote possibilites like Lemur, Touchable, DAW Remote and Cubase IC Pro.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Spiritos wrote:I realise you can connect your iPad with a cable but imho the whole idea of Lemur is being able to use it wirelessly.
As I said, you don't need a cable connected to your iPad or a wifi-adapter on your PC. If your PC is connected to a router via ethernet, as most of them are, you have instant wi-fi connection between your PC and your iPad via your router.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Ok. Didn't realise Lemur/wifi worked this way as well. Tnx!

standalone wrote:
Spiritos wrote:I realise you can connect your iPad with a cable but imho the whole idea of Lemur is being able to use it wirelessly.
As I said, you don't need a cable connected to your iPad or a wifi-adapter on your PC. If your PC is connected to a router via ethernet, as most of them are, you have instant wi-fi connection between your PC and your iPad via your router.

This his how I use it. DAW is wired to wifi router, iPad is connected to said router via wifi.

Works well. No wifi card needed on DAW.
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”