NI Massive Bug? (or is is a feature...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

So I've used NI Massive & FM8 for a long time now, and recently I've encountered an issue which I'm just not sure about.

I first noticed this in Massive but have also checked and it's happening in FM8 as well, as well as both Logic & PT11.

When loading multiple instances of the synths, if I change the preset from the browser in one, it changes it in all the other instances when I open them (in both the browser window and the drop down menu).
It doesn't load the preset though, it just changes the browser folder location meaning if I click next or previous it will now be in a whole new folder and jump there.

Is this a bug? Has anyone else had this issue? Are the instances all supposed to be tied together? I honestly can't remember this ever happening before.....and no it's not cracked if you're going to ask that! haha

The only change I've made is from a PPC Mac / Logic 8 to an Intel Mac / Logic X meaning I upgraded to version 1.4.0...but surely this is not a 'feature' they added post whatever old version I was using!!

Anyway, it's bloody annoying and killing my workflow. I've sent a ticket to NI, but thought I'd sniff around here as well, and get some human responses!

Cheers!
SJ\\
Sound Engineer / Musician / Producer......but I'm always learning.

Could it be a Logic 8 bug?
Here on Intel Mac, Massive 1.4 works fine in Ableton. All instances of Massive keeps their selected Bank

cis-didge wrote:Could it be a Logic 8 bug?
Well I'm on an Intel Mac & Logic 10 now, but yeah the only thing that has 'changed' in my system is that.

I was previously using a very old version as I was on a PPC machine for so many years.

But it does it in Pro Tools 11 and FM8 as well, so I think it's an NI thing.

I'm going to try re-installing/preferences all that jazz, just interested to know if anyone else has experienced it.

It's a feature, one browser for all instances. A major showstopper and generally speaking, their browsers are not well thought out. E.g., if you have many presets (like, thousands) it takes forever to scan through them and in the meantime the synth is blocked, so you have to wait for the scan to finish, and as this happens periodically, and as you can't stop it - you're stuffed! Just grinds on my nerves!

toothnclaw wrote:It's a feature, one browser for all instances.

Wow. That's f*%#ing mental. They've added this in recent version then obviously? I jumped a few versions going from PPC to Intel this year.

Really makes no sense to me at all, almost makes it unusable if I want to browse a few different banks for different sounds.

Feature my arse, doesn't do it here in Logic X, works fine (unless I've misunderstood what you're getting at).

Sorry I can't solve your problem OP but I totally disagree with what toothnclaw wrote, does nothing even vaguely similar here. One browser for all instances? Scanning for presets and the synth gets blocked? Nope, not for me. Massive 1.4, latest Logic

Last edited by samsam on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scanning for presets only happens if you continue to add new presets all the time. When the database is fully built it won't scan for new presets anymore, unless it finds new ones.

samsam wrote:Feature my arse, doesn't do it here in Logic X, works fine (unless I've misunderstood what you're getting at).
I thought it didn't sound like something that would be a feature, and yes, by your picture, you do get what I mean....I don't get that at all. Each of my instances when opened will show the folder of the last preset, greyed out and if I click next it will jump to that folder...

Not sure if you can tell by this pic but you'll notice the top instance preset name and the other instances folder bellow it in the menu.

Massive and FM8 working great here. Logic X. No problem as described in the OP.

Massive and FM8 works great on Windows with Cubase 7.5. A few months ago I loaded several thousand old dx-patches in FM8. I have to admit that the FM8 browers was very slow with those patches. After deleting the patches everything worked great again.

OK, partially solved...

After a bit of back and forth from NI Support, that really resolved nothing (shock horror!) I did a few troubleshooting steps myself.

Firstly I completely removed both from my system and re-installed, activated and loaded - still doing it.

So then I tried a few different installers I could find from NI's website & my user account - still doing it.

Then I decided to downgrade and see what was the last version do no do it - it was the previous one 1.3.1!!

So, a slight workaround at this stage is to go back down to 1.3.1 (Massive) & 1.2.1 (FM8) and stay there. They both have AAX so PT is still useable.

Well that's that. No idea who, how, where, why or what was causing it - but it's a bug I can't seem to shake from 1.4.0 on my system.

Cheers for all the replies everyone - interested to know if you're all running 1.4.0 too.. :)

SJ\\

1.4.0. in Reaper, doesn't do it.

1.4.0 in Sonar X3. No problem like syncing browsers for me.

Slow browser in FM8 with huge amount of presets - yes...
This was after a huge sysex import, I just selected what I wanted and deleted the rest.
Still a lot of presets, but not insane amount. No problems after that.

Return to “Instruments”